Author Topic: The "teach n00bs some proper forum etiquette" brainstorming thread  (Read 16933 times)

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
Ok, so lately, we've been having a bit of trouble with certain newer members of the forum pissing off the more established ones with displays of... blatant noobishness, for lack of a term to describe it better.
Me, I think this is a bit sad, because I always try to see the positive in each person and would like nothing better than to get along with everybody.
So, as a result of a discussion with futilité, iggMaN and StickyLizard over at the Random board, I decided to create this little brainstorming session.
The purpose of this thread is to come up with a few guidelines, hints, friendly advice and tips as to what is considered proper "etiquette" when frequenting these forums. Hopefully the collected results could then be added to the "NEWCOMERS READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" thread by a moderator (pretty please? :)).

Oh, and stay away from obvious and blatant advice as well as downright insulting ones like "GROW UP ASSHOLE" and "STFU NOOB". This is supposed to be a constructive thread, not a flamefest. Be civil, people.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
Re: The "teach n00bs some proper forum etiquette" brainstorming thread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:50:35 pm »
I tried to get something out of the thread where we planned this.

I don't understand how you can keep complaining that some people don't like you when you try to annoy them on purpose...
=> Don't annoy people on purpose if they don't understand your sense of humour.

Double posts do annoy some people.
=> Put all that you have to say into one post, don't make double posts if you know before your first post that you will write about different topics

Maybe...
Don't use ridiculous types of writing.
=> like Caps Lock all the time (on occasion it is ok, but not all the time!) or MSN writing (same here: if you want to parody it once, ok...)

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 05:52:32 pm »
I tried to get something out of the thread where we planned this.

Double posts do annoy some people.
=> Put all that you have to say into one post, don't make double posts if you know before your first post that you will write about different topics

Its not that hard to just edit the orginal post now is it?

Offline Warrior Bob

• Rock.
    • The Fighting dot org
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 06:42:38 pm »
Noob checking in! 

The number one rule I follow on forums, which seems to go over pretty well, is "If I'm not really adding anything to the thread, then whatever I'm thinking of posting isn't worth it."

Unless I'm reading some chatty thread, I probably make one post for every 5 that I think of posting.  It helps stop me from saying stupid things all the time that everyone else has to read through.  Now I just say them some of the time :)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:11:25 pm »
Respect other forumers, also, it's nice to give encouraging words to everyone, even if it's constructive criticism, telling them they are shite is no way to behave
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 07:48:05 pm »
The way a post is typed helps...try to limit AOL/text talk, and paragraphs are generally welcomed for longer posts.

Oh, and last I checked, l33tsp34k was punishable by death.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 08:01:24 pm »
Noob checking in! 

The number one rule I follow on forums, which seems to go over pretty well, is "If I'm not really adding anything to the thread, then whatever I'm thinking of posting isn't worth it."

Unless I'm reading some chatty thread, I probably make one post for every 5 that I think of posting.  It helps stop me from saying stupid things all the time that everyone else has to read through.  Now I just say them some of the time :)

Amen.

And please, try not to react too strongly to posts here, until you know the people who make them a bit. Had I not known what mumppis is like, he'd annoy the crap out of me with every post. No, wait, he does! Bad example. But you get my point, p'raps?
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 08:16:16 pm »
Noob checking in! 

Amen.

And please, try not to react too strongly to posts here, until you know the people who make them a bit. Had I not known what mumppis is like, he'd annoy the crap out of me with every post. No, wait, he does! Bad example. But you get my point, p'raps?

I think i get it, don't judge a book by its cover, second chances etc.

Or did you mean the bit where you find mumppis no matter what? :D
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 08:46:03 pm »
I never fully grasped the concept of being loud, noisy and annoying on a forum or any other means of internet communication. I think that the way you post and the stuff you write reflects how you are in real life, e.g. whether a forumer is rather serious, has a fucked up humour (which is a good thing), likes or dislikes certain things and so on. So between the lines you can get a very good picture of the person. You can imagine what conclusions people draw from smiley-infested caps lock posts without any substance.

That doesn't mean anyone has to conform to any standards or act like people want them to, on the contrary. Just be yourself when posting and use some common sense.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 08:50:50 pm »
Just be yourself when posting

AWwww, HELL NO.

;D
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 11:50:29 pm »
^omg spam.

Anyway, here is a nice thing for newbies to read. A lot of it doesn't apply, but the core does.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 12:44:01 am »
Do not overrate yourself; know your place, so to say. Do not act against others in ways you are not entirely sure they will accept. At least, do not risk offending people because you think it might be funny. If you act too rashly, the other members will not understand, and they will not approve of your actions.

Do not try to humiliate or subjugate other members. It serves only your own ego, if even that.

If you don't understand the humor, do not guess and assume, you might be mistaken and end up on other members' blacklists.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:45:44 am by Cerapter »
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 01:07:14 am »
Nobody ever got respect because they argued that they should. If for some reason you have been denigrated, the only way you can recover is to take it in stride, try to see the reasons for it, and address them if need be. On the other hand, if it seems reasonless or arbitrary or due solely to the fact that you're a "noob," you can either ignore the source of the belittlement or find a more suitable forum.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 01:11:12 am »
Don't be a twat

that's another thing don't spam like a bastard (such as i did), don't reply with just "QFT" or i "lol'd" and don't keep referring to people in your post if they don't like you, it can be rather annoying

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 01:14:33 am »
and don't keep referring to people in your post if they don't like you, it can be rather annoying

Related to that one; do not think or pretend others are playing or wanting to play your little game. It's awkward and you look very stupid.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.