Author Topic: The "teach n00bs some proper forum etiquette" brainstorming thread  (Read 16900 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: The "teach n00bs some proper forum etiquette" brainstorming thread
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 02:53:45 am »
Only Machinae Primes (and admin people, and anyone with a custom title) may make such posts.  ;D

I agree with what Bearfoot said, though. Try to keep your english resembling english. As subpoints of that, please don't use MSN speech, or other similar derivatives of english.

Good formatting of your post is even more important.

Wheil reding tis s kinda irritatin in teh long run, it s manegble. It meight b a probelm if u try to wreit Gravehill-steil posts, but if ur not, we cen manege.

reading something like this with no punctuation commas capital letters or paragraphs is a whole lot worse if you do it nobody will read your post and just ignore you i doubt most reading this post will actually bother to read the entire example but to make it a good one i will make it a long one fuck it is difficult to write like this i keep wanting to press both shift comma dot and enter but i must stop myself it would be no good to do so because it would fuck up the example i cant do that as you probably understand if you try to read the example my spelling is perfect or at least very good but its still a fucking nightmare to read dont write posts like this this is an extreme example but i see plenty of people not on this forum but on several others who lacks one of the things this wall of text has punctuation paragraphs or capital letters that is so please do as i say and use them all
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 02:56:30 am »
reading something like this with no punctuation commas capital letters or paragraphs is a whole lot worse if you do it nobody will read your post and just ignore you i doubt most reading this post will actually bother to read the entire example but to make it a good one i will make it a long one fuck it is difficult to write like this i keep wanting to press both shift comma dot and enter but i must stop myself it would be no good to do so because it would fuck up the example i cant do that as you probably understand if you try to read the example my spelling is perfect or at least very good but its still a fucking nightmare to read dont write posts like this this is an extreme example but i see plenty of people not on this forum but on several others who lacks one of the things this wall of text has punctuation paragraphs or capital letters that is so please do as i say and use them all

I could only make it to there...so yes. Good point.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 04:02:43 am »
Amazingly i read the word "fuck" before i read your post.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 04:06:14 am »
Only Machinae Primes (and admin people, and anyone with a custom title) may make such posts.  ;D

I agree with what Bearfoot said, though. Try to keep your english resembling english. As subpoints of that, please don't use MSN speech, or other similar derivatives of english.

Good formatting of your post is even more important.

Wheil reding tis s kinda irritatin in teh long run, it s manegble. It meight b a probelm if u try to wreit Gravehill-steil posts, but if ur not, we cen manege.

lolz ther is a coma n taht sentnc joo failz at pnctuatin

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 04:08:35 am »
The way i tackle commas etc. is i say it in my head first then i add punctuation to give the effect i want it to have :)
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 04:10:49 am »
So that's something that's not appreciated here.

In general, just say what you want, without the message being disruptive in any matter.

Contributing, that's great !

Replying as well !

But don't overdo it.  We've all seen these Irc-convo-on-forum a million times, and i'm not waiting for that to happen all the gotdamn time.

They're not rules, just something you may want to keep in mind for your fellow poster.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 04:11:22 am »
The way i tackle commas etc. is i say it in my head first then i add punctuation to give the effect i want it to have :)

Yeah I do that with a lot of stuff, just to see if it makes sense. :P (Like that sentence lawl)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 04:13:55 am »
Dont try too hard.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 04:17:42 am »
Dont try too hard.
You tried too hard aswell, and you turned out fine, a bit spammy and random, but thats how we like em out here.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 04:20:04 am »
Dont try too hard.

You tried too hard writing that sentence. :D OH WAI-

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 04:21:43 am »
Dont try too hard.

You tried too hard writing that sentence. :D OH WAI-

It's funny because fallout left a ' :D
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2006, 04:25:48 am »
Dont try too hard.
You tried too hard aswell, and you turned out fine, a bit spammy and random, but thats how we like em out here.

Sure I did at first, back when I used to have 3249234 posts per second.

But as you can see, I've changed a lot since then. I'm always trying to work off my old, spammy self with good gestures and free beer.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2006, 04:29:45 am »
Very true ! and that brings us to :

Know when to stop, or know when it's enough.

Do not go ranting endlessly about a topic that's been discussed, revived and rediscussed, and rediscussed ten times over again.

Use the search button or ask away !

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 04:33:44 am »
Very true ! and that brings us to :

Know when to stop, or know when it's enough.

Do not go ranting endlessly about a topic that's been discussed, revived and rediscussed, and rediscussed ten times over again.

Use the search button or ask away !

You say that but when people ask they're usually mauled by people saying "OMG SEARCH OR DIE"

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2006, 04:36:46 am »
Yeah. But that's so much fun, now don't say it here, you'll spoil it.

;D