General > General

The "teach n00bs some proper forum etiquette" brainstorming thread

(1/24) > >>

WereVolvo:
Ok, so lately, we've been having a bit of trouble with certain newer members of the forum pissing off the more established ones with displays of... blatant noobishness, for lack of a term to describe it better.
Me, I think this is a bit sad, because I always try to see the positive in each person and would like nothing better than to get along with everybody.
So, as a result of a discussion with futilité, iggMaN and StickyLizard over at the Random board, I decided to create this little brainstorming session.
The purpose of this thread is to come up with a few guidelines, hints, friendly advice and tips as to what is considered proper "etiquette" when frequenting these forums. Hopefully the collected results could then be added to the "NEWCOMERS READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" thread by a moderator (pretty please? :)).

Oh, and stay away from obvious and blatant advice as well as downright insulting ones like "GROW UP ASSHOLE" and "STFU NOOB". This is supposed to be a constructive thread, not a flamefest. Be civil, people.

~futilite~:
I tried to get something out of the thread where we planned this.

--- Quote ---I don't understand how you can keep complaining that some people don't like you when you try to annoy them on purpose...
--- End quote ---
=> Don't annoy people on purpose if they don't understand your sense of humour.

--- Quote ---Double posts do annoy some people.
--- End quote ---
=> Put all that you have to say into one post, don't make double posts if you know before your first post that you will write about different topics

Maybe...

--- Quote ---Don't use ridiculous types of writing.
--- End quote ---
=> like Caps Lock all the time (on occasion it is ok, but not all the time!) or MSN writing (same here: if you want to parody it once, ok...)

Outboundlight:

--- Quote from: ~futilité~ on November 06, 2006, 05:50:35 pm ---I tried to get something out of the thread where we planned this.

--- Quote ---Double posts do annoy some people.
--- End quote ---
=> Put all that you have to say into one post, don't make double posts if you know before your first post that you will write about different topics

--- End quote ---

Its not that hard to just edit the orginal post now is it?

Warrior Bob:
Noob checking in! 

The number one rule I follow on forums, which seems to go over pretty well, is "If I'm not really adding anything to the thread, then whatever I'm thinking of posting isn't worth it."

Unless I'm reading some chatty thread, I probably make one post for every 5 that I think of posting.  It helps stop me from saying stupid things all the time that everyone else has to read through.  Now I just say them some of the time :)

Ant:
Respect other forumers, also, it's nice to give encouraging words to everyone, even if it's constructive criticism, telling them they are shite is no way to behave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version