Author Topic: Bereavement  (Read 11395 times)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Bereavement
« on: October 31, 2006, 11:19:09 pm »
Have you bereaved a lost one recently? have you ever lost a close one in your life? This is a serious topic os don't be dickheads please :)

The only bereavements i have had were my two Grandads, i didn't particularly know them very well. One died when i was 5 and the other when i was 7, I didn't cry for either of them though, which kinda worries me but at the same time makes me think, would they want me to cry over them?
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: Bereavement
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 11:41:28 pm »
I lost my Grandad to cancer.. oohh.. er.. I cant remember, about 2 years ago now.
I didnt cry either.
At that time I was already going through a bit of a psychotic spell and I didnt really know what the fuck I was doing. The concept of death suddenly so real to me really spun me out of control, and I lost quite a few friends over it because I was acting so fucked up. I guess looking back now I realise how insensitive they were, seeing as I'd just lost a pretty close relative.
Anyway, it was a bad time for me, and talking about it kinda brings back a few painful memories.

I guess I'm gonna have another of those "bad times" soon though. I fear my Nan is on the way out too. She's becoming worse and worse, missing out weekly Sunday roasts because she's too ill to travel a mere 10 metres to her car and too weak to drive.
I dont know what I'm doing though; I guess I'm trying to distance myself from her because I know if I get too attached then It'll really hurt me when she passes away, but I know I'll regret distancing myself from her because I'll think that I never really knew her. :(

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 11:46:55 pm »
I lost my Grandad to cancer.. oohh.. er.. I cant remember, about 2 years ago now.
I didnt cry either.
At that time I was already going through a bit of a psychotic spell and I didnt really know what the fuck I was doing. The concept of death suddenly so real to me really spun me out of control, and I lost quite a few friends over it because I was acting so fucked up. I guess looking back now I realise how insensitive they were, seeing as I'd just lost a pretty close relative.
Anyway, it was a bad time for me, and talking about it kinda brings back a few painful memories.

I guess I'm gonna have another of those "bad times" soon though. I fear my Nan is on the way out too. She's becoming worse and worse, missing out weekly Sunday roasts because she's too ill to travel a mere 10 metres to her car and too weak to drive.
I dont know what I'm doing though; I guess I'm trying to distance myself from her because I know if I get too attached then It'll really hurt me when she passes away, but I know I'll regret distancing myself from her because I'll think that I never really knew her. :(

You have a dilemma indeed there, it can be said in most cases where feelings are concerned e.g. Relationships where you have doubts etc.

Death does seem to make people react differenlty, some people tend to just distance themselves so much from everyone, some start appreciating what they have and spend as much time as possible with other people.

I did want to keep this to humans but i will say about my little Dog, she died a mere 1 1/2 years old from a weakened liver, when she was put down i spent 3 days at my mate's house crying and watching 24 trying to keep my mind off her.
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 11:56:24 pm »
I lost my grandfather to heart condition and other things quite a few years back...10 or so, I think... it's kinda scary to think of how long it's been since I last spent time with this kind and quiet man. All my memories of him are dwindling day by day, which makes me sad. He was a machinist on a cargo ship during WW2, and I'd have given a lot to have spoken of these things with him, but unfortunately I wasn't old enough to appreciate the living history books old people tend to be.

A few years later, I lost my cousin due to a drug overdose. We were not especially close, but it still shocked me when I heard it.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline GhostNinja

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 11:57:29 pm »
My Grandad also died of cancer about 6 years ago. However, I did cry. I still miss him, he spoilt me to death. (No pun intended)

My Grandad was also a kind man. I don't think he worked IIRC, although, I do remember him working at a local football club at one point.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:22:36 am »
I too lost a dog, Bess was her name. She was the only dog I actually remember having, after Sooty died when I was 3, thankfully I dont remember, since he got ran over by a car. Luckily, Bess passed away peacefully in her sleep, in her usual sleeping position at the bottom of the stairs.

Bess died about a year ago or so. She used to be my rock, I used to talk to her and she kept me company. The house has felt lonely since she passed away, without the barking whenever the doorbell rings, without a dog creeping at my feet whenever I speak in negative tones, it just feels empty. Everything in this house feels empty.
There's still some of her fur on the edges of the carpet where she used to sleep, and it feels strange to walk over the same patch of carpet where she died. Just talking about this brings so many bad memories flushing back, having to carry her to the back yard and burying her...

Meh. I dont wanna talk anymore about it. :(

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 12:37:45 am »
I've lost two grandgrandmothers, a grandfather, my dog, three hamsters, three birds and a fish.

I knew my dog best, so I miss her once in a while, but I tend to accept death and do not grieve. Of course, I've lost noone really close to me, so that's probably incorrect, but I have never cried of sorrow. At least not real sorrow. I feel fictional sorrow far stronger.

I still feel sorry for those talking deers that died in a snowy cave in Terranigma.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline WereVolvo

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My personal site
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 12:39:02 am »
I still feel sorry for those talking deers that died in a snowy cave in Terranigma.

... and don't even mention FFVII and Aeris  :-[

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 12:40:20 am »
Actually, I didn't feel anything there. The 3d was too boxy. If it was 2d, then perhaps, but somehow, that event just didn't affect me.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline WereVolvo

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My personal site
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 12:42:59 am »
Actually, I didn't feel anything there. The 3d was too boxy. If it was 2d, then perhaps, but somehow, that event just didn't affect me.

You, sir, are a cold, cold person :P

The graphics wasn't what did it, everyone (or, at least, everyone that agrees with me) knows that the music is half of the game experience anyway.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:50:20 am »

The graphics wasn't what did it, everyone (or, at least, everyone that agrees with me) knows that the music is half of the game experience anyway.

Indeed it was a strong scene, I admit I shed a tear or two. The music was the main factor, but the way you interacted with the character socially felt almost real, even if it was only in text, that was as good as it got back then.

They built you up to the point where you're really starting to kinda love the Aerith character, then they kill her off :(

Offline Sativa

• 1337 IRC Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 10:55:51 am »

Indeed it was a strong scene, I admit I shed a tear or two. The music was the main factor, but the way you interacted with the character socially felt almost real, even if it was only in text, that was as good as it got back then.

They built you up to the point where you're really starting to kinda love the Aerith character, then they kill her off :(

I never really liked her, So I didn't mind that she died.

Hmm, My grandad and both grandmas have died, also a mate killed him self about 9 months ago.
"The orange ones fuck you up REAL good"

"We must stop here, this is machinae country!"

MDX

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 02:34:34 pm »
In 2005 i lost 4 people, 3 friends and 1 relative, 4 friends really, as my family are so close.

The first was a friend of my dads and the family, he used to come stay with us on work shifts on from scotland, when they both worked together over there. He got struck with cancer, had it for a few years, fought it, but in the end the struggle was too heavy and he died. Was a train wreck of a time, but there wasnt enough time to catch up with life when the next event happened.

A friend of mine and my sisters, thomas devlin, only a teenager, was stabbed to death. He and another friend of mine were walkin home from the shop after gettin some munch just, and two guys out of nowhere began following them and chasing them, they caught thomas and stabbed him in the back, i think they punctured his lung; they tried saving him but by the time he was at hostpital he was already gone. Now everybody knows you need time to grieve from one death, but then another one happens so suddenly, what do you do.

Another friend of mine, who lived down the road, was on a cruise with his wife when he had a heart attack and passed away instantly, such freak sudden deaths. He was an amazing guy, of course.. all these people were to me.

Finally my closest uncle had a heart attack, suddenly, my cousin tried to save him with CPR but it was too late, he was gone. And with all this my 2004 wasnt the best either, i lost my other uncle to leukemia, so really ive seen more death in the last year and a bit than i ever want to see again. The more people die, the easier it gets to handle it? wrong. so wrong, itll only make it worse if you try to grip it up inside in my opinion, i tried.. and i had a terrible breakdown, which in all honesty i've only really seen the recovery from this year. thank god.

But yeah, deaths a heavy thing.. grieving isn't an option though. just keep that in mind.

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 04:59:25 pm »

Scary, I also lost my grandfather to cancer about two years ago.

Offline ПФББЧ

• Has lovely moobs
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 05:21:44 pm »
i almost lost a good freind yesterday. distressing. stupid selfish cunt.
^____________________^
               \__/