Author Topic: Cheers refic :)  (Read 10447 times)

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
Re: Cheers refic :)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 09:55:22 pm »
Posting on this board will not increase your post count.

genius.

I thinks its sad, it was the only place where posting happened frequently. Sadly I think General will probably stay dead.

sad cos you cant spam your post count anymore eh? ;)

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 09:58:08 pm »
I also noticed the posts havent been taken off peoples postcounts, else it'd leave some forumers with very low postcounts *cough* cloudstrifex ¬.¬

Oh come on we've all had our share of posts in Random. Fallout you've had quite a bit of posts in here.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 10:11:27 pm »
I vote we remove post counts entirely. With them around we create spamming little fucktards who only care about getting higher posts and not about contributing to the discussion at hand.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 11:12:11 pm »
Posting on this board will not increase your post count.
That is the most excellent idea! Problem with this board has been massive amount of spam, which about 10-20% have been funny or some other way noteworthy. It has been quite a work to try reading most of the conversations. Fortunately most of the mindless spam has been only oneliners which are easy to skip because just a glance tells that it's not worth reading. Possibility to miss something good is almost nonexistent. On the other way, there has been quite good conversations and seeds of inspiration that were only possible due this random side's nature and free atmostphere.

So I think that this idea of doing this area pos count-free zone is good : this way we have this boards pros and hopefully reduce amount of mindless spam. That way all the good stuff here comes more visible and easier to participate - and those ideas keep evolving without "your mom"-"no, YOUR mom" battles cutting that away.

So thumbs up refic and why not!
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 11:17:46 pm »
I vote we remove post counts entirely. With them around we create spamming little fucktards who only care about getting higher posts and not about contributing to the discussion at hand.

But then we lose our authority and importance when a new forumer joins. There'd no way to measure who's been a major contributer to the forum..

At the moment we have a nice system where you can check the date joined and their postcount and judge wether they're a spammer, an occasional poster, or even a Gravehill.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 11:22:58 pm »

But then we lose our authority and importance when a new forumer joins. There'd no way to measure who's been a major contributer to the forum..

At the moment we have a nice system where you can check the date joined and their postcount and judge wether they're a spammer, an occasional poster, or even a Gravehill.

We could put the date of registration in giant letters below our avatars.
[irony/sarcasm/similar stylistic devices]

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 11:50:02 pm »
It's a passive restriction. :(

I don't like it. I was all for it (removing post count from certain parts of the board) for years and years, but I no longer believe in that solution. What purpose does it serve, anyway? Making the board neat and tidy, free of bothersome content? That's no fun, it's no fun at all.

I'm registered at a place where this was done. I hate that forum, and it sucks because of that, because of what it has made the members. They're all paranoid assholes devoid of any friendliness, because after all, the purpose of the board is information and posting quality. Everyone is being matter-of-factly, those who aren't are frowned upon and openly harassed. Those who know how to post valid posts use their power to flame everyone else without actually using harsh words. And they're good at it.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 02:20:32 am »
I doubt that the standoffishness of that forum is a consequence of there being no post count... maybe they are both symptoms of a common problem, but i'm pretty sure most people don't place much importance with their post count. I think i know generally what mine is, but the only time i look at anyone else's is to see if they're someone new, or old with a new name.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 02:32:33 am »
maybe they are both symptoms of a common problem,

So you're saying we have an infestation of idiots?
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 02:42:40 am »
maybe they are both symptoms of a common problem,

So you're saying we have an infestation of idiots?

well i was referring to the other forum that pokephile up there was talking about, but now that you mention it...

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.