Author Topic: Video game annoyance list.  (Read 30467 times)

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
Video game annoyance list.
« on: October 19, 2006, 07:06:13 pm »
1> Characters who are ex navy seals that die on contact with water.
2> Characters in general who die in contact with water.
(I could see if you were playing a witch, but not a green beret or commando...or even a f'n plumber)
3> Bonus stages you can die in.
4>Farm boy with a unknown past saves the world.  Again.. for the 20th time.
5> Characters with weird unpronouncable names.
6> Roguelikes being harder than hell.

Add your own.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Lexx

Re: Video game annoyance list.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:22:31 pm »
7> Bearfoot.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:15:56 pm »
1) Pointless stories
2) Shitty multiplayer(cough cough Doom 3)
3) Shitty campeign (cough cough Chromehounds)
4) Repeat stories

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:30:06 pm »
Most movies' "Official games".
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:32:03 pm »

Ya bout 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time that seems to be true.......

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:59:23 pm »

Ya bout 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time that seems to be true.......

Only game I've ever touched that was based on a movie (that I can recall) that I enjoyed was Chronicles of Riddick. But I'll be honest, I didn't play it alot so I don't know if it stayed fun.

Top Gun on the NES was kinda fun in a weird rediculously cheesy game sorta way.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:21:02 pm »

Only game I've ever touched that was based on a movie (that I can recall) that I enjoyed was Chronicles of Riddick. But I'll be honest, I didn't play it alot so I don't know if it stayed fun.

Top Gun on the NES was kinda fun in a weird rediculously cheesy game sorta way.

I rented it for the Xbox played all the way through it, enjoyed it.  which was pretty cool cuz I'm not a big FPS fan.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:40:06 pm »
Micropayment for nonsensical addons is annoying. Like horse armor.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:47:02 pm »
Micropayment for nonsensical addons is annoying. Like horse armor.

I have to agree. I love Oblivion and I love the fact they continued producing content, but the system was questionable. At least it used microsofts micropay system though, which actually is fairly reasonable so you can get cheaper content instead of having to pay minimum payments for content not worth the (usually) 5 dollar minimum.

But horse armor? Come on. I get it with the tower, I get it with the dungeons. They're cheap and worth spending microsoft points we probably have sitting around anyway. But horse armor?

I use to think your gamerscore also got you microsoft points. This obviously isn't the case, but it'd be more tolerable if microsoft introduced some reward system to allow our acheivements or other factors to get us free microsoft points. Then I could understand some of these otherwise rediculous micropay items. Like I said, mini-expansions are totally okay. But horse armor? A single weapon in Chromehounds? Meh, no. Give me a way to slowly gather points without my cash, then it all becomes understandable.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:44:15 pm »
Nobody said you had to buy the horse armor and they didn't represent it as anything more than that. Besides, it was their first one, and I imagine they had created it with the rest of the game and just took it out as something to easily start off the lucrative pay-for-plugins dealio. I do wish they could make better use of it than simple content addition... like a $2.99 AI upgrade would be fckin sweet. Or if they found better ways to show distant textures/objects... like an optional hi-fi patch. That'd be quite worth it, and developers tend to find better ways of doing things as they work with consoles, so not impossible. I'd prefer content stay in the form of expansion packs, where decent-sized and in-depth stories and places can be created, instead of just here's a dungeon and here's a new house and here's a new sword. Tribunal and Bloodmoon added real new areas with real new gameplay. Sure they cost more than The Wizard's Tower, but... you get what you pay for. And with morrowind, something like  the wizard's tower would be (gasp!) free for download (at least for PC).

I'm not sure if i have a point anymore.

But as for dumb things in games... uhm.

Bad translations anger me and look really unprofessional. Self-consciousness too, where the developers were obviously like "crap. we need something original now." and try too hard to create a new character trait, weapon, skill type, enemy, whatever.

Super mario sunshine, though a fun game, was an example of this. I'm just wary of any game which most reviews compare to a previous game and then say "... but with one notable difference: the _____." I don't trust the ______ and I don't want it in my house.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 12:19:09 am »
Bad translations anger me

Oblivion, once again. I bought the Collectors Edition and expected that I can choose the language during installation. But the DVD only had the German translation. Why wasn't there a warning on the game box? I would've bought an imported version then. Not only the German version is badly translated in some parts, I also missed Patrick Steward's and the Superman guy's voice acting. Having played Morrowind, I also had to retranslate every bit of Elder Scrolls vocabulary back into English to enjoy the story.

I don't understand why companies bother with translations at all. Sure, you might reach a wider market, but the budgets for translation and especially voice acting are so small that they're not exactly doing their games a favour.

I take comfort from the fact that I can at least play the original language version of Gothic 3.  :P

Smeagol

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 12:36:22 am »
Unbalanced RTS games. Dawn of War springs to mind. If you play Space Marines, you win by default.

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 12:40:06 am »
I dunno, chaos can be pretty good...
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 02:54:47 am »
crappy games annoy me.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 03:49:04 am »
People who make crappy games annoy me.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester