Author Topic: Game Movies  (Read 8993 times)

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
Game Movies
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:55:33 am »
Okay!
So what do you think is the best/worst game movie ever?
Uwe Boll is certainly the worst director, but after seeing the DOA:Dead or Alive movie it really got me thinking. Alone in the dark, bloodrayne and house of the dead all suck BADLY but serisously DOA might just be worse, it has the worst damn actors ever. DOA makes street fighter and Mortal kombat look good  :o OK, its worse than Boll movies, but it has the potential to be one.

Check it out
Worth the laughs

Lexx

Re: Game Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:41:11 pm »
Out of curiosity, have you ever seen any Uwe Boll films? Everyone says they're crap but I've yet to meet anyone who claims to have seen one..

Not suggesting they're any good.. but just asking. :P

And Mortal Kombat was good!

Lysix

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:04:47 pm »
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was one of the biggest animated financial fuckups in history. And for good reason.

Offline RT200

• RT200
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:09:15 pm »
Agree with Lexx - Mortal Kombat rulez!!!

P.S. Mortal Kombat II - sucks.
Anything can be done

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:03:38 pm »
P.S. Mortal Kombat II - sucks.

Not nearly as much as Mortal Kombat 3 - Conquest.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Lexx

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 07:21:44 pm »
Er, wasn't that a TV series, rather than a film?

The actual Mortal Kombat 3, Devastation, looks like it might turn out to be kinda.. good. Lambert as Raiden! If it's ever made.

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:31:34 pm »
Spirits Within wasn't *that* bad. Nothing to do with the games, but as a standalone film, I quite enjoyed it.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 08:33:31 pm »
Spirits Within wasn't *that* bad. Nothing to do with the games, but as a standalone film, I quite enjoyed it.

It was okay, I agree it wasn't horrible. I didn't go out and buy it or anything though.

On the other hand, Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children was amazing and I would recommend anyone to purchase it. Worth every penny and then some.

Without thinking too hard, I would say FF7: Advent Children is the best movie based on a game thus far as its the only one I can think of that I saw not once, twice, or even three times, but many times because I enjoyed it so much as a movie.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 11:33:09 pm »
On the contrary, I'd say that while Spirits Within had something like a "story," even if it was unimaginative, the only thing Advent Children had going for it was the animation and the '7.' I generally defer to the overwhelming intelligence of foreigners over Americans, but at least we wouldn't continue a part of a series as its own series while retaining the number. Final Fantasy 7 has been like 5 different things by now. It's a series, not a multidimensional array!

Anyway, there wasn't any story to speak of except "Hey remember all those characters from that game everyone liked? Watch them work together in supranatural to the point of banality to defeat a boring evil!" Nothing made sense, presumably because they were all worried about how to make Cloud's polygon hair from the game into something looking vaguely like it could exist in the real world (and i'm sure it only took him 3 hours a day to get it like that).

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:45:36 pm »
On the contrary, I'd say that while Spirits Within had something like a "story," even if it was unimaginative, the only thing Advent Children had going for it was the animation and the '7.' I generally defer to the overwhelming intelligence of foreigners over Americans, but at least we wouldn't continue a part of a series as its own series while retaining the number. Final Fantasy 7 has been like 5 different things by now. It's a series, not a multidimensional array!

Anyway, there wasn't any story to speak of except "Hey remember all those characters from that game everyone liked? Watch them work together in supranatural to the point of banality to defeat a boring evil!" Nothing made sense, presumably because they were all worried about how to make Cloud's polygon hair from the game into something looking vaguely like it could exist in the real world (and i'm sure it only took him 3 hours a day to get it like that).

I actually understood the story. But then again, I beat the game a few times. I admit, I did touch up on my Final Fantasy 7 history prior to watching the movie. If you remember the entire story from front to end, it made total sense to me; which is a first in the final fantasy genre.

I honestly don't care for the game anymore. I dont think it was even remotely close to being the best Final Fantasy in the series. I do however appreciate it's story and all the Final Fantasy 7 related things have stayed true to the entire time-line and story as far as I can tell. :P

Honestly though, I don't really play Final Fantasy games anymore. The older NES/SNES ones were by far the best in my opinion. I just don't keep up with them anymore. I only watched the movie because the trailers I saw made it look interesting and the reviews I read made it sound like it blew Spirits Within out of the water. So I decided to brush up on the story and give it a whirl. I'm NOT a final fantasy advocate, so don't think my impression of the movie has squat to do with the fact its a Final Fantasy 7 game. It's not. :P

I did enjoy the movie. But I admit, half the fun is being dazzled by all the pretty shit. :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:47:29 pm by Drakonis »

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 02:56:21 am »
Out of curiosity, have you ever seen any Uwe Boll films? Everyone says they're crap but I've yet to meet anyone who claims to have seen one..
I've seen Alone in the Dark. It made me cry.

Super Mario Bros. kicked ass, so did Mortal Kombat.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 05:01:09 am »
I've seen Alone in the Dark. It made me cry.

Super Mario Bros. kicked ass, so did Mortal Kombat.

Super Mario was awesome, although I haven't seen it in forever. I need to DL it soon. :) Anyway worst movies? Hmm Tomb Raider? Idk if it was mentioned but I heard it was pretty shitty. (Never saw it myself though)

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 09:50:16 am »
How dare you?! I went through hell when i saw Alone in the dark and bloodrayne, and now you question me if i have seen them!?  ???

Lexx

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 11:53:30 am »
I liked Tomb Raider.. *shunned*

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 12:31:39 pm »
Tomb raider was sort of like an ordinary action movie.

Doom rocked.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii