Poll

What do you think of it now that it is out?

Perfect.
Needs balancing, but still great game.
Its okay, not as great as I hoped.
A let down.
Needs more SiD?
Never liked Halo.

Author Topic: Halo 3  (Read 51866 times)

Offline Irrationalist

Re: Halo 3
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 08:04:36 pm »
A) It wasn't a gay toucharound, but a caring one.
B) Apt my comment was that the plasma pistol was turned into a combo weapon in Halo 2 and if you need the Battle Rifle to make it worth something it is a combo weapon and bo longer capable of standing its ground in a fight (Example SMG) though the Plasma Rifle "can" it rarely does.
C) Don't forget about Cortana or the Arbiter!!

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 08:17:38 pm »
but... when you get good at halo2... you begin to realise that EVERY weapon is a combo weapon. if you play online and stick to just one weapon... then you're never going to get on uber killing sprees.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 08:25:26 pm »
combo wep = depends on other weapon to be useful.
I can use my Sniper Rifle, Particle Beam, Carbine, Battle Riffle, Sword, Shotgun, Plasma Rifle(Dual Wielded), Needlers and Brute shot by themselves to kill people.

This is not true with the plasma pistol.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 12:00:19 am »
sniper rifle up close? useless
carbine and battle rifle? you have to be lucky to kill someone when you're up close
shotgun? you'll get slaughtered if your opponent keeps his distance, same with the sword
plasma rifle... useless on its own, good with another. needlers.. also useless on its own. brute shot useless long distance unless you get lucky.

EVERY WEAPON depends on another weapon to be effective.

if you use a sniper rifle you MUST have a close-up weapon like an smg or a shotgun, incase you get ambushed.

if you use a shotgun, you MUST have a weapon that's decent mid-to-long range, otherwise all your opponent has to do is keep his distance.

if anything the plasma pistol is the most flexible weapon in the game, one fully charged shot, and all you need is a few shots from any other weapon to clean up the mess.

halo2 is MUCH more tactical than some people give it credit for. it's what seperates the pros from the amatuers. (im not that good, btw... dont take this as me trying to blow my own horn :P )

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 12:03:16 am »
Your a newb, I can point black someones ass with a sniper rifle, and I have grenades with the shotgun and sword, and the BR/Carbine are ALWAYS GOOD.

Plz man dont argue, and learn.....

(Loki plays Halo 2 tournaments as he lives in Idaho where there IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 12:35:09 am »
Not being able to point blank/no-scope with a sniper rifle doesn't make someone a newb. It makes them a regular player.  :P

Grenades are a guessing game. When you're playing against a decent player, they know to weave in, out and around.

The carbine's only good when you land multiple headshots. Otherwise, it does little to the enemy's shields.

The point is that to be 100% effective (without playing for hours a day), it's good to have range. "Expect the unexpected," and whatnot.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 12:46:48 am »
Not being able to point blank/no-scope with a sniper rifle doesn't make someone a newb. It makes them a regular player.  :P

Grenades are a guessing game. When you're playing against a decent player, they know to weave in, out and around.

The carbine's only good when you land multiple headshots. Otherwise, it does little to the enemy's shields.

The point is that to be 100% effective (without playing for hours a day), it's good to have range. "Expect the unexpected," and whatnot.

A) I'm not a regular player, and he was sounding like he was one of the elite too (he admitted has wasn't)
B)Not true, they behave like all projectiles and fall in a parabola, making it very easy to nail a mother fucker once you got your angles and timing done.
C) True, but you can headshot from a distance or up close.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 12:53:03 am »
like harvs says.. your tactics might work fine against most players. but if you want to beat the best you HAVE to mix things up some more.

if you're out in the open with your shotgun and grenades, against a decent player with a battle-rifle/sniper/whatever, you'll be dead before your grenades have even exploded. You think it's easy to hit someone with a grenade? what... do you play against people who are standing still, or something? sure, it's easy to judge where to throw them, but they're fucking easy to avoid too.

close up with a sniper rifle? maybe if the target is standing still. or you get EXTREMELY lucky. miss the first shot against someone good and you're pretty much screwed though.

Battle rifle/carbine are MOSTLY good... but you need something to switch to when you get up close. I like to go with the battle rifle/shotgun combo. pick a target, zoom in with the carbine, aim for his head, sprint towards him while firing, as soon as you start to run out of ammo quickly switch to the shotgun (hopefully you'll have gotten close enough) and give him a blast in the face. MUCH quicker and more effective than waiting for your br to reload.

half of the game is about twitch-reactions and skill. the other half is about weapon selection. a noob with a well thought out set of weapons stands a VERY good chance against a decent player who sticks to one weapon.

the ONLY exception to my thinking is team slayer on coag. grab the rocket launcher on that map and you'll have a pretty much definite victory (if you know what you're doing).

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 01:02:25 am »
like harvs says.. your tactics might work fine against most players. but if you want to beat the best you HAVE to mix things up some more.

if you're out in the open with your shotgun and grenades, against a decent player with a battle-rifle/sniper/whatever, you'll be dead before your grenades have even exploded. You think it's easy to hit someone with a grenade? what... do you play against people who are standing still, or something? sure, it's easy to judge where to throw them, but they're fucking easy to avoid too.

close up with a sniper rifle? maybe if the target is standing still. or you get EXTREMELY lucky. miss the first shot against someone good and you're pretty much screwed though.

Battle rifle/carbine are MOSTLY good... but you need something to switch to when you get up close. I like to go with the battle rifle/shotgun combo. pick a target, zoom in with the carbine, aim for his head, sprint towards him while firing, as soon as you start to run out of ammo quickly switch to the shotgun (hopefully you'll have gotten close enough) and give him a blast in the face. MUCH quicker and more effective than waiting for your br to reload.

half of the game is about twitch-reactions and skill. the other half is about weapon selection. a noob with a well thought out set of weapons stands a VERY good chance against a decent player who sticks to one weapon.

the ONLY exception to my thinking is team slayer on coag. grab the rocket launcher on that map and you'll have a pretty much definite victory (if you know what you're doing).

First of all, I now know I could PWN the both of you at once.
A)I always mix it up, but you gotta work with what ya got, and if you are out in the open with a shotgun and grenades you better have damn good reasons (Grabbing more than 1 kill) or you're an idiot
B) I'm someone good, so I don't miss.
C) Don't need shotgun, headshot their ass a couple of times, then either melee his ass, or use a grenade, no reload needed.
D)I never stick to one weapon (there are of course, exceptions), I got the "twitch", good aim, timing, etc....
E) plz STFU, the rocket doesn't mean shit, the Sniper Rifles do.

Also I was reading a Halo 2 forum and someone had the bright idea of a chainsaw in Halo 3
A) It would be funny if you sneaked up to someone the BUZZZZZZZZZ *newb looks back and yells OH SHIT!*, then you cleave his ass
B) Stupid for reason above
C) This is not an iD game.
D)Your opinions?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 03:08:24 am »
A)lol
B)lol
C)lol
D)lol
E)lol
F)lol
G)lol
H)lol
I)lol
J)lol
K)lol
L)lol
M)lol
N)lol
O)lol
P)lol
Q)lol
R)lol
S)lol
T)lol
U)lol
V)lol
W)lol
X)lol
Y)lol
Z)lol. LOL.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:09:57 am by ffaalloouutt »

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 03:11:59 am »
HALO you mean shitty game. I was bored to even finish the first halo :D kinda got bored after 5th mission :D

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 05:27:56 am »
First of all, I now know I could PWN the both of you at once.
A)I always mix it up, but you gotta work with what ya got, and if you are out in the open with a shotgun and grenades you better have damn good reasons (Grabbing more than 1 kill) or you're an idiot
B) I'm someone good, so I don't miss.
C) Don't need shotgun, headshot their ass a couple of times, then either melee his ass, or use a grenade, no reload needed.
D)I never stick to one weapon (there are of course, exceptions), I got the "twitch", good aim, timing, etc....
E) plz STFU, the rocket doesn't mean shit, the Sniper Rifles do.

Also I was reading a Halo 2 forum and someone had the bright idea of a chainsaw in Halo 3
A) It would be funny if you sneaked up to someone the BUZZZZZZZZZ *newb looks back and yells OH SHIT!*, then you cleave his ass
B) Stupid for reason above
C) This is not an iD game.
D)Your opinions?

I know you're trying to be serious, but please don't use things like "PWN" and "STFU". Not only are they rude, but they take away from any kind of momentum you may have been building with your points.  :P

I don't think either of us cares that you could beat us?

As for the parabola thing, I didn't mean unpredictable in their paths, I meant unpredictable in use. It's impossible to know whether a player knows how to avoid them or not unless you've played with them before. The only time they'd be a definite kill would be against the bunny-hoppers on Coag. Anywhere else, people are usually smart enough to find a way out/around/over them if they're not in an absolute corner.

As for the shotgun, if they're backtreading-shooting when you try to run up and melee them, you're toast. And if you're out of grenades, too, then that's just a bad situation.

Rockets always have a use. If not just for the fun of blowing crap/yourself/everyone else up.

As for the chainsaw, I don't think they'd really need another melee weapon. The regular melee is already powerful enough, and the sword is fine as that "prize weapon".

That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 06:48:23 am »
A)I'll be nicer  ;D
B) Either way, I could.
C) This isn't Quake, the Halo guys are slow and quite limited in where they go. take a good guess
D) Shit happens but you should never allow yourself to be in such situations
E)Still snipers are far superior, or a tank
F)The chainsaw was just for humour's sake.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 09:27:52 am »
dude, your whole argument was that you dont need to mix up your weapons, and now you've admitted that you DO. im not arguing about who could win out of us, im simply talking tactics. earlier you said that you stick to one weapon, i was giving reasons as to why that is a bad idea, and now you've changed your story.

as for coag, the rocket launcher IS the pivotal weapon. as soon as you get the rocket launcher, your entire team can use vehicles freely. as soon as an opponent gets into a vehicle you can get out and blow them up with a rocket. the only thing the opposing team can do is hide and hope that they can hit you with the occasional grenade.

*shrug* im not going to argue anymore, since you've changed this thread into a "I COULD PWN YOU" shouting match. that wasn't my intention. i was just trying to discuss tactics with some players.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 05:45:11 pm »
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z!