Author Topic: MASU in media!  (Read 119319 times)

Offline __sdfg

Re: MASU in media!
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2010, 01:27:35 am »
I saw today morning in tv that somebody was using a elite shirt, not quite sure what the program was, but i think it was somekind off a document about why some people get fat and others doesn't. Does this count as seeing MaSu in media?

Kind of.  It shows that there are enough people who like MaSu that someone wearing a MaSu shirt made it on TV.  I think that counts for something.

More importantly, the context in which you saw it is just...  awesome.

Offline LordXaras

« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2010, 02:43:18 pm »
Sorta related:

INJA - 0wned is used in the trailer for this Swedish lifestyle program for deaf youths.  :o

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
    • Machine Animal @ Last.fm
« Reply #302 on: November 03, 2010, 12:30:52 am »
http://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=11182

So your fave furry Machinae fan will translate the review. Here goes:

Machinae Supremacy is a rare case in the metal world. They are really original and are a band who have a personal and recognisable sound. Ofcourse the SID-sounds known from the worlds of Commodore 64 and 8-Bit Nintendo have been used by other heavy bands but when you add original catchy melodies and Robert Stjärnströms twisted squeaky singing voice, the band is easily recogniseable.

A View From The End Of The World is an excellent album. The melody skill of the Swedish lives and is doing well. It is proven already in the beginning by the title track, Rocket Dragon and Persona. Force Feedback shows it's best sides in the c-part where an unknown female voice refreshes otherwise a more mediocre song in the beginning of the album. Nova Prospekt sticks to mind with it's chorus and a fun solo which instead of the usual guitar/synth solo has guitar playing with a SID machine.

I seperate the album in my mind to three parts and the middle one beginning from the short instrumental World Of Light is slightly weaker than the others. Shinigami is fast but only thing that sticks to my mind from the song is a melody reminding from the good old Megaman. Cybergenesis and Action Girl turn the direction to better again and the interesting hooks of the songs are almost on the same level as Rocket Dragon and Personas.

For me Crouching Camper Hidden Sniper turns the tide again and with that the album returns to excellence. The composition reminds you why Machinae has sometimes been called power metal because the happy gallop leapfrogs brazenly through what us Europeans usually consider to be power metal. Indiscriminate Murder Is Counter-Productive is also good and puts a smile on your face with it's funny music even more than with it's title. Even though so far you have heard convincing music on the album many times the band has this time saved the best for last. One Day in the Universe and The Greatest Shown on Earth are that kind of hit couple that not many bands would have the guts to leave them for the last, crowning the album. Slow Remnant (March of the Undead IV) is kind of unneccesary ending song when they could have wrapped A View From The End of The World with a best possible way with The Greatest Show On Earth.

Machinae Supremacy still hasn't managed to make a perfect album and if they would have removed 2 or 3 not so good songs the album would work better. Mostly the songs of the Swedes are such level of brilliance that the album is definitely the bands best work so far and deserves a highscore on the charts of the years best albums.

9 -/10

03.11.2010, Sami Kontio
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:44:00 am by JariWolf »

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #303 on: November 03, 2010, 12:36:43 am »

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
« Reply #304 on: November 03, 2010, 12:39:27 am »
Wasn't my translation atleast a lil better than that? :)

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #305 on: November 03, 2010, 12:41:01 am »
Wasn't my translation atleast a lil better than that? :)

Yours was a lot better.  :)

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #306 on: November 03, 2010, 12:46:38 am »
Yes, indeed it was. I just figured that way one can check the actual page. But yeah, google translate belongs on failblog. :)

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #307 on: November 03, 2010, 12:54:41 am »
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Ecko

« Reply #308 on: November 14, 2010, 01:42:29 am »
Really curious to why MaSu isn't reviewed in the big newspapers in Sweden. You got a larger fan base then many of the bands that they review and also the fact that you are from Sweden should count for something. Haven't Spinefarm been busy trying to get the medias attention or what?

Offline Rareitor

• Doctore
« Reply #309 on: November 14, 2010, 04:28:42 am »
Really curious to why MaSu isn't reviewed in the big newspapers in Sweden. You got a larger fan base then many of the bands that they review and also the fact that you are from Sweden should count for something. Haven't Spinefarm been busy trying to get the medias attention or what?

I have a theory that goes like this: "any genre derived from Heavy Metal that is embraced by a band from Sweden has a 80% chance of being good with said band: in other words, the band will be a good one as will their music"
Using this to justify the situation, if the papers reviewed every single one of said bands that fit in that 80%(which obviously contains MaSu), then the amount of awesome unleashed to the country as a whole would destroy it.

On a more serious note, it's just how it is I suppose, sucks that MaSu seems to be ignored by that layer of the media; we have to change that somehow.
The man in the box.

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »
Sue Magazine gave AVFEOW 8/10. I didn't like the review. The reviewer gave Redeemer and Overworld 9/10 and now wrote he should have given Overworld 10/10. I guess he didn't like the new album that much. Also likes to describe MaSu as having simple hooks and being "teflon-metal". God knows what that means.. I will have the review translated to you tomorrow.

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2010, 03:16:09 pm »
Here comes the translation of Sue magazines review of AVFEOW.

"Teflon metal!" I sighed as I scratched my head listening to Machinae Supremacy's Overworld. The colors hidden under the seemingly simple surface made the album one of the years best but still I can't fully claim to understand what is the appeal in those straight turns.

At first A View From The End Of The World is also a completely shit album. Fortunately in the back of my mind I remember the already mentioned case about the tasty parts of the Swedish mashed potatoes so I understand I must continue listening.

The new album is more jumpy than it's predecessor and closer to old albums of Machinae Supremacy but with good songs. It has no business to join Overworld in the 10/10 club even though it gets close. Replacing theatrics with too much gymnastics (translators note: wut?) doesn't carry the album for the whole hour.

Unlike when they started Machinae Supremacy is anything but alone in using classic melodies from game music in metal. They defeat the competition because from under the funny and boyish surface is exposed a real metal band who would do well in the scene even without their clever extras.

8/10

Review by Henri Eerola

Translated by JariWolf
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:19:46 pm by JariWolf »

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2010, 04:28:48 pm »
Checked in store what Rumba (Supposed to be respected Finnish rock magazine) has to say about new MaSu album (Didn't buy the shitty mag). They had a short review. Here goes:

Spinefarm seems to have an obsession with bands that incorporate Commodore sounds to their music. They have both Dragonforce and Machinae Supremacy. Machinae Supremacy isn't as fast as DragonForce. Instead they play heavy rock with SID sounds. The album is sometimes irritating to listen to, sometimes enjoyable but mostly the music just goes in from one ear and goes out from the other.

2/5

JariWolf does NOT approve. He probably listened the album only once.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2010, 06:17:37 pm »
Checked in store what Rumba (Supposed to be respected Finnish rock magazine) has to say about new MaSu album (Didn't buy the shitty mag). They had a short review. Here goes:

Spinefarm seems to have an obsession with bands that incorporate Commodore sounds to their music. They have both Dragonforce and Machinae Supremacy. Machinae Supremacy isn't as fast as DragonForce. Instead they play heavy rock with SID sounds. The album is sometimes irritating to listen to, sometimes enjoyable but mostly the music just goes in from one ear and goes out from the other.

2/5

JariWolf does NOT approve. He probably listened the album only once.

Burn them!!!
Send mails to them explaining what cunts they are! =)

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #314 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »
rumba is a joke if you dont pay them theyll fuck you in their reviews