Author Topic: MASU in media!  (Read 133298 times)

Offline cloudstrifex

Re: MASU in media!
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2007, 03:46:32 am »
yeah thats the main problem with most of the reviews i read about redeemer they dont understand the music :)

And therefore it must be bad. It amazes me how a lot of these reviewers can't even understand the SID (not not knowing what it is, but not knowing why they use it). You'd think they'd have played some form of videogame in their life and understand why it's so great. :D

You know that there are people who don't like videogames at all, even after having tried them? If he's one of those, I can understand that he doesn't understand the Sid.

Then they shouldn't be reviewing music in the first place. ;D
Do u mean that people who don't play videogames shouldn't review music? And why is that?

Because then they can't understand great music like Machinae Supremacy?

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2007, 11:08:18 am »
Whaaaat.

that's nonsense. it's music. I don't require knowledge of the history and evolution of the guitar to appreciate a rockin' solo. It's not like they're even presenting themselves as a video-game band or anything. It's silly and unnecessary and counterproductive to claim that people need to have had a certain common experience or they shouldn't be allowed to form a public opinion.

if the only reason you like something is because it appeals to that part of us which likes to identify with esoterica and select groups, perhaps you should rethink your taste.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2007, 03:13:30 am »
Or perhaps I was joking around and you guys made way too big a deal out of it.

EDIT: Here is a random DXM page rated by fans. 3.48 out of 5 I think it was.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/machinae_supremacy/deus_ex_machinae/

EDIT2: Here's another DXM review from the guys that gave Redeemer 5/5 and said it was the best album of the year. 4.8/5 ain't too bad right? ;)

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/soundoff.php?albumid=15457
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:10:37 am by cloudstrifex »

Offline NaziMoomin

• Dont Come F***in With Me
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2007, 09:53:00 pm »
Seeing all these great reviews makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I hope I get the opportunity to act superior to legions of new fans.

;D
That will probably be a nice experience for you to have.

Offline NaziMoomin

• Dont Come F***in With Me
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2007, 09:53:47 pm »
Whaaaat.

that's nonsense. it's music. I don't require knowledge of the history and evolution of the guitar to appreciate a rockin' solo. It's not like they're even presenting themselves as a video-game band or anything. It's silly and unnecessary and counterproductive to claim that people need to have had a certain common experience or they shouldn't be allowed to form a public opinion.

if the only reason you like something is because it appeals to that part of us which likes to identify with esoterica and select groups, perhaps you should rethink your taste.
Yep, Mr.Fancypants, that's one way to  say it. =)
But I must say I agree with you completely.

Offline vanti

• Im the Protogandist!
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2007, 07:20:01 pm »
Got a nice surprise the other day when I was reinstalling Vista and I had to start the radio for once. Tuned in to Bandit and after a while I heard "Attention! New Music! Machinae Supremacy" and a while later they played TtLG.. seems to be on the rotation there right now.

http://www.bandit.se/index.php?page=1&underpage=9.
//Vanti - "Don't quote me on this!"

Offline LordXaras

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2007, 08:44:04 pm »
Welcome to two pages ago.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2007, 11:34:30 pm »
Welcome to two pages ago.
Thank you !

Can i have a glass of yesterday's wine ?

Offline Ratti

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2007, 04:14:43 am »
New German review from vampster.com: http://www.vampster.com/artikel/show/?id=22145

They don't give points, but the overall tone is very favorable. Too tired to translate right now, maybe tomorrow.

Offline Ratti

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2007, 11:26:47 pm »
Here it is!

[[First part is pretty much untranslatable as it contains a pun on some well-known German lyrics.]] People who support filesharing will find a valid argument in MACHINAE SUPREMACY's success: founded at the turn of the millennium, the Swedish band have been offering a lot of their songs on their website for free download, long before they got a record deal. Filesharing and online communities where fans could tell others about their music had their part in gradually increasing the number of their followers - and all that without record companies or promoters.

Now the quintet signed a deal at Spinefarm Records to make their second album available in regular trade. Metal fans who like modern riffing comparable to the new IN FLAMES and don't mind almost pop-like melodies should like this CD. Sounds boring and not very innovative? Right. But still MACHINAE SUPREMACY are unique. The uncomparable und untypical (for a metal vocalist) voice of Robert Stjärnström, maybe a little bit similar to Ville Tuomi (KYRIA), already makes a difference. Even more important for their sound is the use of the SID, the C64 soundchip.

Whoever owned a C64 during the eighties and likes to remember those glorious days just has to love this band. The tootling of the SID sounds comfortably familiar, you instantly remember old video games. The usage of the SID differs from many of their old songs, as it is no longer the center of the music but has moved a bit to the background, now stand on equal footing with the guitars. "Redeemer" is heavy and more riff-orientated than their old stuff. You will notice this especially while listening to the opener "Elite" which even contains a heavy part in which drummer Tomas can go full power, while the playful and incredibly melodic guitar leads form an interesting contrast. The other songs are not to be disregarded either. Apart from the catchy "Rogue World Asylum" and the dynamic and delicately played "Rise", especially the last three songs leave an impression. They stand apart from the rest of the album as they have a more melancholic and thoughtful nature, showing that MACHINAE SUPREMACY is capable of getting more out of the simple-sounding concept of "metal + video game music" than one would think: first-rate touching rock music.

MACHINAE SUPREMACY's symbiosis of hard rock music and electronic video game music is definitely a success. The result is a modern metal album with strong songwriting and a truly unique sound. Those who are still not convinced can go to their website - not to download "Redeemer" - to get dozens of their old songs.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2007, 12:58:44 pm »
On the topic of MaSu on Bandit:
Bandit has a rock survey, where you can rate songs so that they will play them more/less. Get registered and give TtLG a boost. http://banditrock1063.mediascore-inc.com/

Click on "klicka här för att registrera dig" to register.
You are all smart people, so I think you can figure out what to fill in what fields.

The survey is simple, you listen to the songs played, then rate them like this:

Favorit - Favorite
Tycker om - Like
Har gillat men tröttnat - Have liked, but gotten tired of
(Can't remember the middle one) - Indifferent
Tycker inte om - Do not like
Känner inte igen - Do not recognize
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:06:07 pm by evilcandybag »
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Ausp

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2007, 08:25:56 pm »
You overestimate me.

*Lösenord:...does this mean password?
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2007, 12:53:56 am »
You overestimate me.

*Lösenord:...does this mean password?

Yes. I though that you guys had filled in enough of that kind of web-forms to be able to fill them in with the fields left blank.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline yofee

• :P the legend lives on...
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2007, 02:28:11 am »
Did someone else just notice anything odd or cool on P3 Rock about 23:55 (11:55pm swe-time) tonite??? I heard Machinaes Elite and the host Håkan Person presented the bands debut album Redeemer. The fun was that he said Machinae came from Finland. Was I dreaming? :P ;D
Actually, you should worry about the killer air!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2007, 03:55:05 am »
Some dude i know actually had James Bond as a password, and because he's such a dumbass he spelled it wrong, so his password was :

Jeems Bont