Author Topic: MASU in media!  (Read 102168 times)

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
Re: MASU in media!
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 05:08:19 pm »
Thanks Novack...

Here's another one (that needs no translation, gladly). :)

http://www.metalcovenant.com/pages/cdreviews/redeemer.htm

". Winners of the poll were instead Machinae Supremacy, an unsigned band from Luleå, Sweden. Surprising? Not really. Considering that the band was one of the first of its kind to really embrace the Internet and use it to distribute their music, they have now gathered a fan base as loyal as the North Korean army is to Kim Jong-il."

LOOOOL :D

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 05:22:25 pm »
Thanks Novack...

". Winners of the poll were instead Machinae Supremacy, an unsigned band from Luleå, Sweden. Surprising? Not really. Considering that the band was one of the first of its kind to really embrace the Internet and use it to distribute their music, they have now gathered a fan base as loyal as the North Korean army is to Kim Jong-il."

ROFL ;D

I foresee a lot of communist-themed postings and imagery in the near future, as a tribute to our Dear Leaders.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 05:24:19 pm »
Thanks Novack...

Those few lines were also what I instantly noticed.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 06:09:19 pm »
Thanks Novack...

I was just about to quote the lines when I saw that the thread has a third page.

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
    • Machine Animal @ Last.fm
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2006, 06:14:25 pm »
Here's the Soundi review in my own words. I read the review in store because I didn't want to buy the magazine because they gave Redeemer a too low score :P I try to use the adjectives and structure the reviewer used.

Machinae Supremacy has used the internets possibilities to gather a big fanbase and become succesful. However their decision to gain success and name to themselves through making game music is not worthy of praise. Everything hasn't always went smoothly for them though. At first Redeemer didn't gather interest from record companies so they ended up releasing it through their own site. Later though the solution was found from Finland. The biggest plus in Machinae Supremacy is Robert Stjärnströms original voice. Their music too is fairly interesting but also confusing. Machinae Supremacy opens many doors with their music but doesn't use their full potential although stolen melodies from different genres of music make an interesting mixture. Although interesting Machinae Supremacy hasn't seemed to find their style yet.

3/5

Here's my translation of the Sue review:

Sounds from C64! Commodore 64 computers classical SID-soundchip was in the 80's a very advanced thing and through it blasted many larger than life computergame themes. It was a time when ideas and content replaced the lack of graphics. Swedish Machinae Supremacy has transported the SID-chip and their C64 excitement to their own music. The result: SID-metal.

Rather more conventionally described MaSu plays melodic, weirdly pulsating heavy metal, what's atmospheres, sound world and tone changes are different in a good way from the traditional elements of melodic metal. Singer Robert Stjärnström's stretching soft in a positive way annoying voice stays in your head and the personal singing reminds me of Ville Tuomi's voice - Not the way it's now in Suburban Tribe but the way it was during the late Kyyria's best times.

Elite, Seventeen, Ronin and Oki Kumas Adventure are treachously catchy and Rise's SID-solos clever. In spite of their musical background the album isn't a one idea nostalgy trip because the band keeps consciously the SID and retro as their slaves and not their masters. Heavy is the main thing, not being retro.

8/10

Jussi Lahtonen           

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 06:34:00 pm by Wolfboy »

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 06:46:48 pm »
Thanks Novack...

I was just about to quote the lines when I saw that the thread has a third page.

So was I ::)

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2006, 08:14:22 pm »
The biggest plus in Machinae Supremacy is Robert Stjärnströms original voice.

Finally someone who gets it. Though the correct way to phrase it is "Another plus..."

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 09:11:49 pm »
Orginanality is cursed in Pop music which is why I hate it, and love metal! I like the voice....... who wouldn't?

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2006, 09:50:28 pm »
He gives critique for robert's vocals ("At their best, the signer Robert Stjärnström's vocals sound great, but for the most part the creaky vocals make you grind your teeth") and uneven tracks.
What would a machinae be without personality?
All machinaes have their own way of expressing the strain under it's power, the sound of a machinae would never feel good if it's all smooth and perfect. I don't think Machinae Supremacy would sound right with any established and accepted vocal style, Robert has the voice of the machinae.

The personality of machinae music is what makes it so good for the car, though not so good if you want to follow the speed limit.

Damnit, I just can't stop spelling with ae...  :-\

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2006, 10:27:21 pm »
Both Seventeen and Hate are nothing out of the ordinary, and should have been replaced by the sorely missed Fury and the Nightwish-inflated Empire.

This guy must've been reading my mind!!! I think this was an excellent review, although Redeemer could've been given a higher score.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006, 10:43:30 pm »
Also what might be perceived as ordinariness in Hate is actually a stilistic device. The whole controlled rage thing.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2006, 10:48:45 pm »
Also what might be perceived as ordinariness in Hate is actually a stilistic device. The whole controlled rage thing.

I still think Fury would be a way better song to introduce someone to Machinae than Hate, as it reflects most of their style. I also loved that song and was sad to see it go. :'( (and Kaori Stomp and Empire)

Offline Novack

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2006, 11:46:50 pm »
He gives critique for robert's vocals ("At their best, the signer Robert Stjärnström's vocals sound great, but for the most part the creaky vocals make you grind your teeth") and uneven tracks.
What would a machinae be without personality?

This is starting to drift a bit off-topic, but anyway.

Like I said, I did not agree with the reviewer. But Rob's vocals do take some getting used to, so it is understandable to an extent. It took some time for myself to really appreciate Rob's vocals when I first started to listen to Machinae more than 4 years ago. But the reviewer wasn't quite as harsh as the quote may have convened, and I think there's a good chance that he will fully appreciate Rob's voice by the time MaSu's next album comes out.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 05:18:13 pm »
    Aberration Online:
    Wenn Spinefarm mal keine finnische Band signt, sagt dass schon viel über die Qualität der Gruppe aus. Machinae Supremacy kommen aus dem Nachbarland Schweden, das merkt man aber musikalisch überhaupt nicht. Die Jungs spielen nämlich begeisternden melodischen Abgeh-Metal/Rock jenseits der gängigen Schubladen. Man mixt knackige Riffs mit tollen treibenden Melodien. Diese setzten sich auch im Gesang fort, wobei der Sänger auch eine ganz eigene quäkige Klangfarbe hat. Die Chorusse gehen ins Ohr ohne trivial zu sein. Dabei tendiert man auch eher in die melancholische Richtung. Richtig guter moderner Metal, den man eigentlich auch im Radio hören könnte - und das meine ich jetzt nicht abwertend. Der Sound geht einfach gut ins Ohr ohne die typischen 08/15 Klischees zu verwenden. Ich glaube von der Band werden wir noch einiges hören. (5 / 5 ; Moni)

The-Pit:
    "....“Redeemer“ ist ein unglaublich kraftvoller und energischer Brocken Musik geworden. Machinae Supremacy musizieren hierbei auf der Klaviatur des melodisch-modernen Metals, versetzt mit einzelnen (zarten) Progressive-Rock Einschlägen. Hinzu gesellen sich Robert Stjärnström´s grandiose Gesangsqualitäten, die zwar über weite Strecken clean, aber immer eindringlich und markant bleiben. ....
    Letztendlich bleibt also wirklich nur noch zu sagen, dass Machinae Supremacy mit “Redeemer“ ein wirklich sehr gutes Debüt an den Tag gelegt haben. Musikliebhaber mit einem Hang zu organischen, kernigen und melodischen Metal-Experimenten sollten sich dieses Album definitiv nicht entgehen lassen! Aber auch eher schwarz gewandte Konsumenten der Gothic-Szene dürften an “Redeemer“ ihre Freude haben. Was u.a. auch an den nicht zu verachtenden Lyrics (und der entsprechenden Darbietungsweise) der tiefsinnigen Schweden liegt.
    Der Winter kann also nun endgültig kommen... Denn kalt wird es einem mit dieser Platte ganz bestimmt so schnell nicht werden!
    Anspieltipps: Elite, Through the looking Glass, Rogue World Asylum, I know the Reaper, Seventeen, Oki Kumas Adventure"
    (8 / 10)

Heavy:
    MACHINAE SUPREMACY
    Redeemer
    Spinefarm/Soulfood
    ’Redeemer’ ist das zweite Album der Schweden, die es sich zur Aufgabe gemacht haben Heavy Metal unter Verwendung von Melodien aus der Zeit und im Stil des Commodore 64 zu kombinieren. SiD Metal nennt die Band selbst ihren Stil, da der berühmte SID-Chip die Religion ihres Schaffens darstellt. Das nur zur Info, denn wer nichts mit dem C64 zu schaffen hatte, der wird die Musik der Schweden als druckvollen, sehr melodiösen Power Metal klassifizieren. Da gehen die kümmerlich eingestreuten C64-Melodien weitgehendst unter. Die Mucke ist gut gemacht, zwar nicht innovativ, aber besser als vieles, was sonst so aus Nordeuropa kommt. Die Balance zwischen druckvollen, treiben Riffs und gut abgehangenen Melodien ist gelungen. Wer auf leicht abgespaceten Power Metal steht, sollte sich die Band vormerken.
    Jürgen Tschamler (8 Punkte (out of 12))

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Ratti

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006, 06:23:52 pm »
I've taken the liberty to translate these reviews. Should be rather accurate...

Aberration Online:

Not coming from Finland but still being on Spinefarm is already saying a lot about the qualities of this newly signed band. Machinae Supremacy are from the neighbour country of Sweden, not that you would notice musically-wise. These guys are playing inspiring melodic "party"-metal/rock, far from the usual stuff. Mix agressive guitar riffs with great pushing melodies. Those melodies are continued in the vocals, which stand out because of the vocalist's unique croaking voice. The choruses are catchy but not trivial, with a tendency towards melancholy. All in all truly good modern metal that could even be listened to on the radio - and I do not mean this in a negative way. The sound is really catchy and does not involve any typical 08/15 clichés. I expect to hear a lot more from them in the future. (5 / 5 ; Moni)

The-Pit:

"Redeemer" is an incredibly powerful and energetic chunk of music. Machinae Supremacy's music is mostly from the genre of modern melodic metal, but charged with single (delicate) progressive rock tendencies. To this add Robert Stjärnström's terrific qualities as a vocalists, singing mostly clean but always insistently and strinkingly...

The only thing left to say is that Machinae Supremacy have managed to create a relly good debut in "Redeemer". This album is an absolute must-have for audiophiles with a passion for organic, meaty and melodic metal experiments! But even those rather black-clad consumers of the gothic scene should have their joy with "Redeemer", not least because of the impressive lyrics of (and the way they are presented by) these profound Swedes.
Winter can finally arrive now... because you surely won't get cold easily with this album!
Recommended Tracks: Elite, Through the looking Glass, Rogue World Asylum, I know the Reaper, Seventeen, Oki Kumas Adventure"
(8 / 10)

Heavy:
MACHINAE SUPREMACY
Redeemer
Spinefarm/Soulfood

"Redeemer" is the second album of the Swedes who have made it their business to make heavy metal using influences and melodies from the time of the Commodore 64. SID-Metal is what the band calls their style, after the famous SID chip, representing the religion of their work. This was just for information's sake because those that have never had anything to do with the C64 will classify the Swedes' music as pressing, very melodic power metal. The wimpily interspersed C64 melodies are mostly inaudible behind the rest of the music. The music is well-made, not really innovative but still better than a lot of what's coming from northern Europe. The balance between pressing, pushing riffs and good melodies works. Those who like spacy power metal should check this band out.

Jürgen Tschamler (8 Punkte (out of 12))
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 10:14:22 pm by Ratti »