Author Topic: Music Recording - DIY Style  (Read 42994 times)

Offline Aphex

Re: Music Recording - DIY Style
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2006, 12:43:28 pm »
hm.. I saw a recording program on guitarport's site available for purchase
so I just wanted to ask, do you get ANY recording software with
the basic guitarport pack?

Lysix

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2006, 03:20:29 pm »
I think if you buy a TonePort, that one is a combined GuitarPort and soundcard, if you don't already have a good soundcard. I haven't tried TonePort myself but I think it works like I just claimed, heheh... :)

I have an onboard dell soundcard, so i may end up having to buy something new :) Thanks for teh infoz!

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2006, 08:33:39 pm »
No I don't think you get any recording software with it.

And no, you don't want to use the Dell soundcard to record. :)

So far our favourite soundcard manufacturer has been M-Audio (and our least favourite E-MU), but I believe you'd probably be able to use one of the more expensive Soundblaster cards (like Audigy) with adequate results too. Now, I'm not trying to make it sound like you need to be a gear-freak to do this, that's not the case at all.  You'll do quite fine with an M-Audio Audiophile and a GuitarPort. Very high value for relatively low price.

It's not as fancy as a Pro-Tools control room, but it'll get the job done. Mind you, we are not sponsored by any of these, so there's no other reason behind our endorsement than the fact that we are pleased with these products, and they are what we used to make Redeemer.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Lysix

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2006, 08:59:42 pm »
Whats confusing me is that the line6 video of guitarport shows it simply being plugged into the USB port, as apposed to the soundcard directly. Is this for the guitar itself, or something completely different? Does plugging it into the soundcard produce better results?

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 11:19:21 pm »
USB and soundcard. You have a sort of USB-adapter in which you plug in the cable from your guitar, and then from the USB-adapter there are two cables, one to the USB port (obviously), and the other to the soundcard.

---

Lysix

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2006, 11:31:50 pm »
Ahh, it's making sense now :). Thankz0r!

Offline LeadFrazer

• EEE! TUBESCREAMER!
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 01:29:20 am »
See, i have an ancient Dell computer with some 16meg soundcard by some company that doesnt exist anymore, yet when i plug  my guitar into my pedal board into my comp It sounds amazing, Through an Ibanez Rg350Ex which isnt exactly a great guitar, even better, if you have the funds to buy a valve amp, try wiring guitar --> Valve amp --> Computer then cubase/whatever recording prgram for your effects sounds neat :).
IFrazz.

Offline Tax-5

• Tax-5 Homepage
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2007, 03:28:54 pm »
I dont play Guitar..

But if a Friend of mine wants to record it we plug his Guitar directly into the Mixing Console (02r)
All the Effects (Compressor, Distortion etc..) will be done in the Computer...
SID Station Owner !!

Offline Blue Devil

• Official MaSu Tab Maker
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2007, 08:02:22 am »
It would be awesome if you guys posted some screenshots of what a finished mix looks like in whatever mixing program you use.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2007, 06:12:30 pm »
Hot tip!

Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/). A non-bloatware, low-budget but very functional recording sequencer. I've yet to try it out for what it's worth, but one of the studio technicians who mixed our new album loves it. He recommended it to me, so now I'm playing around with it.

Also, guitar tones for Line6 GuitarPort and TonePort can now be found on our website.

R

---

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2007, 06:36:13 pm »
Hot tip!

Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/). A non-bloatware, low-budget but very functional recording sequencer. I've yet to try it out for what it's worth, but one of the studio technicians who mixed our new album loves it. He recommended it to me, so now I'm playing around with it.

R

I would also recommend it. It's simple, supreme and free.

Lysix

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:05 pm »
Hot tip!

Also, guitar tones for Line6 GuitarPort and TonePort can now be found on our website.

R

thats awesome, because my music tech teacher was showing us that program this week. he said hes considering replacing cubase with it when the next college year starts. definately looks good, has a few holes but its come a long way since.
also, thanks for uploading those guitar presets. :)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 06:56:02 pm »
Getting cable, BUT will not record tonight because there will be a girl around.. somewhere. DOH

BUT When she leaves ill grab a beer and a smoke and get things done the hard way.

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2008, 05:36:07 am »
Made a topic of its own first but Rehevkor thougt I should ask it here instead, so... I'll paste my post here:

I am wondering what way is the best when recording guitars. And what different options I have.

Why I am wondering is because it is getting time to start recording some songs in the band I play in. And I would like to have as great quality in sound as we can possibly get without recording in a studio or spend a sick amount of money.

# Is it the best way to get a Guitarport and use it all the way?

# Do I have other options than the Line 6 Guitarport, or is Line 6 Guitarport the best of its kind?

# Or should we record a tube amp? (I would not prefer to record with a mic as long as the tube amps we have access to are quite noisy.)

# Is there any way to reduce amp noise?

# How do you record with an amp to get the best result?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:00:31 am by Likfisken »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »
I wanted to post last night but i was too wasted, so ill do it now.

If you're going to record with an amp (preheat tube amps 10 min and play for about an hour for best preformance) you should place the mic right in front of the speaker, if you're recording from a kabinet, in the middle aiming slightly upwards, or fiddle around with it untill you get what you want. :]

The guitarports. Not too sure. Im not fond of them, i like the sound as raw as i can get it.
Im buying one soon though because i wanna try it out... heheh.

A way to reduce amp noise :

- Intervene the cable with a noisegate/noise canceller/etc
- Buy a expensive cable. If you're using just any random kind of cheap cables, they generate static and break more easily than others.
- Turn down your fucking gain! I know from personal experience it might soften the balls on the sound, but thats not the case.
Sometimes a little less gain can make it sound more clean (if you're for instance riffing a metalcore thing) and more badass in general. And the noise is suffenciently less.

Tip for recording solos : You know that some guitars let other strings sing along with the one you actually pick, so you could use a cloth or some foam to dampen the strings on your 1st fret. Just put up a barrier that if you're not touching the fret board there can't be any tone. This is expecially useful for sweeping and tapping solos, i reckon. Haven't used it myself - yet. So tell me if its any good.

That's all for now, if you have more questions, lemme know