Author Topic: Machinae signed with spinefarm records  (Read 74732 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Re: Machinae signed with spinefarm records
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2006, 10:17:32 pm »
im undecided... bits of it sounded better... but bits of it sounded like they lacked that extra umph.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2006, 10:33:24 pm »
After sifting through way too many pages of both good and bad posts, I'd also like to get my opinion into this perticular fray. You see, I have Opinions. Yeah, again.. I know, it gets tiresome.

That people can have different takes on this is perfectly fine with me, I know that I don't always agree with things. But for the love of everything metal, what the HELL? I seriously can't believe you people. I really can't. For ages I've been lurking around here, reading, posting and sometimes also killing. Three things has held true through all that time, and that is:

1. There will be spam. Spam. Egg and spam, bacon and spam, spam and spam.

2. People wants to be able to buy the record in stores, since they are too young/poor/paranoid/incompetent/lazy to order it online.

3. People wants more gigs and tours, because they can't come to where Machinae has been performing, probably due to the same reasons as in point #2.

And now, when the band has decided to cut their own revenue to less than before so as they can get the album distributed to stores all over, and to get themselves a label to make it easier to book gigs.. what do people do?  Bitch, whine and act as they are a bunch of four-year olds that has had their favourite toy taken away. As far as I know, Robs is probably the only one person alive that detests Big Brother more than I do, and if he and I can live with this concept.. you should be able to as well. Voice your opinions, that's a good thing, but.. seriously, do it as grown-ups?

I don't want you to get me wrong here though, I'm not entirely positive to the whole label-thing. Not at all. But I DO feel it's possible for a bunch of reasons that I'm about to share with you.

1. They get to do what the fans (You, you fanboy/girl happy extatic paranoid joyous angry satisfied disgruntaled people!) have been asking for! Gigs! And PROPER distribution of the album! No longer (hopefully) will people have to wait idly by their mailboxes for weeks, or feel scared that evil people will steal their creditcard while ordering online.

2. They retain creative control. This is paramount to me.

3. Even though they get less cash per cd, I still hold it in my heart and mind that Machinae will goddamn rule the world some day. And you do the maths there.. what's better, 1$ for each of 10.000 000 cd's.. or 5$ for each of 10.000?

4. I like a revolution as much as the next guy, trust me. But revolutions tend mostly to replace one jackass with a slightly more charismatic jackass. No real change, but people get to scream at stuff, and throw vegetables. These are all very worthy activities and should be encouraged. But for real change.. change it from within.

"Sometimes the smallest, softest voice carries the grand, biggest solutions."

And as a long time friend of Robs.. If you really think that this deal will make him soft, and more pliable for RIAA.. Think again.

And to finish off this post:
...I will refrain from passing negative judgement until you deserve it...

Amen, thank you, good night.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2006, 10:36:28 pm »
WORD! gaijin!

Smeagol

« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2006, 10:37:38 pm »
Gaijin makes me feel diminutive. :(

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2006, 10:39:31 pm »
well i, for one, did not intend to sound negative in any of my questions. i simply want to get as much information on the situation as possible so i know exactly what's going on. rob has done a great job of answering everything i needed to know, and all of my doubts have been made redundant. so now i couldn't be happier. now hurry up and get your asses back to england for a gig!

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2006, 10:47:22 pm »
I just thought of something. (omgnoes whatever)

One segment in Soundtrack to the Rebellion fits in this "drama".

"We are not alone to defy
we stand and those who push us down will die"

They stood up for their opinion and their music, and so, SF's idea got "killed" and "died", in sorts of ways. :)

Damn, this week, MaSu proved the righteousness of at least one of their songs!

Before it even happened! :O

Btw, <3 gaijin

PS. ... I used to pronounce their name "Makinaye"...   ::)
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline H

• Gamer. Guitarist. Slacker.
    • My site
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2006, 10:53:40 pm »
New Label or not, MaSu still has my %100 support.  \m/  \m/
[Comfort the disturbed. Disturb the comfortable]
Crownus

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2006, 11:37:33 pm »
...and throw vegetables...

I prefer to SHOOT my vegetable matter, thankyou.
Your approval fills me with shame.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2006, 11:51:01 pm »
We may just do that, give a guide on DIY - MASU Style.

You said that last time I asked about that like 2 years ago  ;)

It really would be useful though, somehow my band still sounds like crap after 6 years, thousands of dollars in equipment, and one member majoring in Acoustics and Music Technology. Getting better, really slowly...

Aight, now I've written a guide...
http://forum.machinaesupremacy.com/index.php?topic=3867.0

Knock yourself out.  ::)

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2006, 04:35:31 am »
I hope that i havent come across as a 4-year old, i believe i've been disagreeing with dignity.  regardless...

I listened to the remasters of some of the songs, and i stand by what i said.  Yes, they are cleaner and clearer, but i just dont see it as the same.  But, my opinion is just one opinion.

I guess i'll wait and see how things turn out, becuase i cant say that your music is already ruined when you havent recorded anything new since then.  I have my fears, and my fears are based in historical fact, but there are also reasons to hope.

One last question for you, rob.  I haven't heard an instrumental since Trinity, and i havent heard an instrumental i LOVED since Loot Burn Rape Kill Repeat.  Are you guys avoiding instrumentals from now on?  Because while i DO love your voice... your instrumentals are some of the most brilliant works of modern rock i've ever heard.

Alright, maybe two last questions.  Whats your ideal release schedule?  Tours up the anus with a cd every two years, like most bands, or are you going to KMFDM it, with a CD almost every year along with tons of EPs and a yearly tour to boot?  Needless to say, i think i can (finally) speak for everyone when i say i hope its the second choice.

Offline Edge

« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2006, 04:51:37 am »
Yea I know i'm a nubtart when it comes to the forums here, but i figured now was as good a time as any to speak my mind.

I've been listening to Machinae since "In The Groove" came out in Arcades. I heard Hybrid and Bouff on there, really liked what i heard, and delved a bit into it. Having listened to Deus Ex Machinae and Redeemer since, i'm really glad to hear that you guys have made these decisions. Your music is great, and I really don't think enough people are in on it. With how in control of the situation you seem to feel, you have everything to gain here. (Especially a MUCH larger fanbase!) To say the least, i'm pretty psyched. ^^

Second (just a bit more praise) I really like where the music has gone. I've seen a lot of people complaining about the direction your music has been going, and i couldn't be happier. The music sounds a lot more 'mature' (as i think Rob put it multiple times) and has come a long way from the old freebies on the site. Through the Looking Glass and Rogue World Asylum probably being my fave songs.

As for the remastered tracks on Redeemer, not quite sure what to think. I've only listened to the new TtLG so far (the dorm internet is acting like shit today. -.- ) and i see what you're saying Rob, about a definitely more powerful presence from the bass, vocals, and guitar. My only complaint would be that the piano part is far less heard, which really set this song apart for me.  :( Regardless though, if the other remastered tracks follow the same general pattern, i probably won't be complaining too much. ^^;

All in all, I love the music, keep doing what you're doing. No complaints thus far (except the piano. >< ) from this fan.  ;D

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2006, 07:41:20 am »
I guess i'll wait and see how things turn out, becuase i cant say that your music is already ruined when you havent recorded anything new since then.  I have my fears, and my fears are based in historical fact, but there are also reasons to hope.

I'm not concerned about how we'll handle this situation, but I feel as if though people who have this attitude will start to imagine or see things that aren't there. Maybe you'll expect corruption so much you'll think the natural development of the band's style is due to the signing, or something like that.

And just in my opinion, when I say the new mixing is "clearer", I don't mean it's "cleaner". I think they did a great job at making the guitars more brutal, among other things, but they just sort of made "room" for more things in the mix... Well, anyway... nuff about the mix.

One last question for you, rob.  I haven't heard an instrumental since Trinity, and i havent heard an instrumental i LOVED since Loot Burn Rape Kill Repeat.  Are you guys avoiding instrumentals from now on?  Because while i DO love your voice... your instrumentals are some of the most brilliant works of modern rock i've ever heard.

Thank you. Remember that Trinity and Loot are newer than Redeemer. So no, we haven't stopped, and you can surely expect more instrumentals in the future.

Alright, maybe two last questions.  Whats your ideal release schedule?  Tours up the anus with a cd every two years, like most bands, or are you going to KMFDM it, with a CD almost every year along with tons of EPs and a yearly tour to boot?  Needless to say, i think i can (finally) speak for everyone when i say i hope its the second choice.

I would hope it is the second choice as well. But maybe exchange EPs for site releases?

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2006, 10:33:02 am »
Collectable EPs are good :D

Mansun have highly collectable EPs. Non-album b-sides and a numbered series makes them a highly sought-after collector's item, something special for the long-time fans. I really, really hope you aren't forced to go down the route of including album tracks and remixes as b-sides. Extra original tracks add great value to singles and EPs, and would be an ideal place to host content that would be traditionally be distributed through the website.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansun

Offline FallenTabris

• falling far beyond the point of no return
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2006, 11:11:32 am »
You realize how good a deal getting signed with no creative hooks attatched is?

even American bands can get fucked, in minor or major ways, in their rush to get signed. apparently The Mars Volta wanted Frances the Mute to be one solid track, ala Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness. the record company they were signed to flat-out denied their artistic wishes, and so the album as of today is composed of tracks. granted, I really hate it when bands do that one-track thing with CDs, but that was a wish from The Mars Volta for their album, and it wasn't granted because the record company felt it wouldn't sell as well (be as 'accessable') if it were formatted that way. and they were probably right, but still.

also, hate on My Chemical Romance if you wish, but I really like Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge (it's well written, don't judge it on its two hits alone). apparently their shitty pop-emo or whatever-you-call-it look is something that came with their record deal, not something they chose for themselves. that's rather telling, if true, about how fucked a band can get by being signed.

and these are American bands--I thought they were supposed to have more options because of their country of origin.. (I like countless european prog rock bands better than Dream Theater, but I get the feeling they got it easy because they're american. >_>)

so machinae got a sweet deal if their label keeps up their side of the bargain.

http://www.hitherston.com/plogger/images/resources/entertainment/jul02184.JPG
there's an MCR pic if you're curious what I mean, but that's nothing compared to how ridiculous they looked on the cover of Rolling Stones a while ago.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:15:44 am by FallenTabris »

Offline Sansebastian

« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2006, 11:21:29 am »
I always look at blabbermouth.net for news....and today i found this, maybe new fans already?;)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=59414