Author Topic: Machinae signed with spinefarm records  (Read 52784 times)

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
Re: Machinae signed with spinefarm records
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 07:10:43 pm »
well everyone cant be pleased the band has said that they support filesharing etc... and it doesnt matter in things like that. The band will be heard now by much bigger audience and they can spread the word much more godly way now :)
fuck it, just look at the organization of the Website now:
It's just like every band website, the downloads (which made MaSu famous) are not important anymore and are hidden away in some "archive", and it is way too commercialized: The Shop is everywhere (top bar, news, releases, hell, even in "pictures").

Unfortunately, money is everything this world is about.  :(

Please, people.... calm down!!! Here's the thing... Spinefarm is a finnish record lable that believe in us and will help us to release our albums so that you people can buy it from a store near you. Also this is a step forward in getting lots of gigs and doing tours. We still support filesharing and all that stuff. Buying the record will support the band and making it easier for us to get noticed in the industry and sharing is a way to spread our music even further.

This record deal is a good thing. We're not selling out (much). =) This is the next step and hopefully makes it easier to reach out to all you fans out there. The MachinaeShop is still run by us guys in Machinae Supremacy and all eventual profit will go directly to us.

w0rd! we want gordon approves picture in this topic ;)

Smeagol

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 07:13:49 pm »
But respect to the band, they fully understand what it means to keep close to their fans.
And I think standing up for their music to not be changed shows great character.
I have seen too many go down like that.

Oh really?

Even though they'd not been in contact with any record label, the guys felt it was time for something different in 2003. Releasing a couple of songs now and then on the website was still fun, but it was getting old. MACHINAE SUPREMACY was ready for a larger project. They began writing their debut album, DEUS EX MACHINAE. Without a plan for how it was going to be released, the production continued on into 2004, when the band was timely contacted by MBD Records, UK, about releasing the album on a master deal. The label offered nothing but online retail, but it didn't really matter to the band at this juncture. 50% of sales profit went directly to the band, and being independent is cool after all, so wtf.

You've sold yourself out, like it or not.

This record deal is a good thing. We're not selling out (much). =) This is the next step and hopefully makes it easier to reach out to all you fans out there. The MachinaeShop is still run by us guys in Machinae Supremacy and all eventual profit will go directly to us.

The next step? To join forces with the likes of those you opposed so vigorously just last year?

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 07:14:25 pm »
Website releases is a tricky thing... But to be honest, the website releases have been growing fewer and fewer on their own, and it's likely they won't be many in the future regardless of what anyone says... We try to focus all our creative strength on album making these days...

But if we get to a point we want to release something on the site, I guess we'll make sure we get to do that. As I said, they're not unreasonable.

However, the problem comes with album releases. According to our label manager, Hannu, the copyright organisation Toesto (or sth like that) in Finland makes it illegal to display more than 1 minute of copyrighted material on a site, so when albums get copyrighted by Spinefarm these restrictions apply.

However, since we're located in Sweden, there might be some sway there, I do plan to explore it. For now, I've made samples (a bit longer than 1 minute though, you know, just to fuck the system a little teeny wii bit), in the hope of replacing them with full-sized songs later.

On MySpace however, there'll be four full-length songs for streaming later on.

Leicesterfox, thanks for understanding... To answer your question, yes, Poe is quite standfast on his and our principles, but we are all like that. We DID discuss (all of us) if we were willing to do as Spinefarm said, to remove parts of our material, but we agreed that no, we weren't willing to do that. So we informed Spinefarm of this, and they said "Ok, Your call."

Unlike mainstream performers, all we have is our music. We don't have dancers, or Max Martin, or choreographers, or whatever... We have our music, and our fans, and that's it. We're not about to compromise either.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 07:18:46 pm »
it's teosto. that we all finnish ppl almost hate ;)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 07:19:11 pm »
Quote from: Gordon
"We're not selling out (much). =)"

Heh. I still love you guys. Even if you are selling out a little.

Heres hoping you can come play in Manchester some time! :D

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 07:19:16 pm »
But respect to the band, they fully understand what it means to keep close to their fans.
And I think standing up for their music to not be changed shows great character.

Oh really?

Even though they'd not been in contact with any record label, the guys felt it was time for something different in 2003. Releasing a couple of songs now and then on the website was still fun, but it was getting old. MACHINAE SUPREMACY was ready for a larger project. They began writing their debut album, DEUS EX MACHINAE. Without a plan for how it was going to be released, the production continued on into 2004, when the band was timely contacted by MBD Records, UK, about releasing the album on a master deal. The label offered nothing but online retail, but it didn't really matter to the band at this juncture. 50% of sales profit went directly to the band, and being independent is cool after all, so wtf.

The next step? To join forces with the likes of those you opposed so vigorously just last year?

Who are we joining forces with? I look around me and all I see is me and you. From where I stand, not much has changed, really... It was illegal to warez our albums before... And it's illegal now. But we STILL don't care if it is, because we'll never join or stand behind a hunt for filesharers or whatever...

Are you unhappy because our lives just got a lot easier, or are we robbing you of all that free stuff that you can get for free anyway? I'm sorry you don't like it, but I don't really understand why.

RIAA are still a bunch of fuckers. And with our albums in the record stores, even more people are gonna hear me say that.

EDIT: Grammar error fixed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:20:47 pm by robert »

---

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 07:21:47 pm »

Oh really?

Who are we joining forces with? I look around me and all I see is me and you. From where I stand, not much has changed, really... It was illegal to warez our albums before... And it's illegal now. But we STILL don't care if it is, because we'll never join or stand behind a hunt for filesharers or whatever...

Are you unhappy because our lives just got a lot easier, or are we robbing you of all that free stuff that you can get for free anyway? I'm sorry you don't like it, but I don't really understand why.

RIAA are still a bunch of fuckers. And with our albums in the record stores, even more people are gonna hear me say that.

EDIT: Grammar error fixed.

You two, stop fighting :D you're like a bloody married couple!

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 07:23:17 pm »
Spinefarm is a finnish record lable that believe in us
The only thing record labels usually believe in is their profit.
Additionally, I don't think it shows that they believe in you if they want to remove the SID stuff from the songs.
And besides, these words sound like an ordinary commercial slogan. I'm disappointed.

For now, I've made samples (a bit longer than 1 minute though, you know, just to fuck the system a little teeny wii bit)
But that's again the way I like you  ;)

In some way, you have just started supporting them because, as you said, that's where your money goes now.
At least for me, this point is difficult to understand.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Smeagol

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 07:26:33 pm »

You'll never stand behind a hunt for filesharers? That's funny, you'll only help supply them with funds, like it or not.

Not unhappy, so much as disappointed. For the first 6 years of the band's existence, you did all the crap mostly by yourself, as a big 'fuck you' to the corporate music industry. You weren't tied down with corporate responsibilities. Now, you have far less freedom, and you're going to end up becoming Spinefarm's bitch.

Try listening to Follower, to Nemesis and Blind Dog Pride. See if you can, without feeling like a hypocrite.

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 07:28:05 pm »
findiil stop bitching please

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2006, 07:28:36 pm »
Spinefarm is a finnish record lable that believe in us
The only thing record labels usually believe in is their profit.
Additionally, I don't think it shows that they believe in you if they want to remove the SID stuff from the songs.
And besides, these words sound like an ordinary commercial slogan. I'm disappointed.

For now, I've made samples (a bit longer than 1 minute though, you know, just to fuck the system a little teeny wii bit)
But that's again the way I like you  ;)

In some way, you have just started supporting them because, as you said, that's where your money goes now.
At least for me, this point is difficult to understand.

Actually, RIAA doesn't get our money, Spinefarm does. And like I said... I don't really care about the money. I never did, or I wouldn't have been doing this for 6 years without a single penny for it.

That Spinefarm gets money because of something we do I have no problem with. They way I see it, we get what we want from them, and they get to make a little profit from us. Fair trade.

---

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2006, 07:28:52 pm »

You'll never stand behind a hunt for filesharers? That's funny, you'll only help supply them with funds, like it or not.

Not unhappy, so much as disappointed. For the first 6 years of the band's existence, you did all the crap mostly by yourself, as a big 'fuck you' to the corporate music industry. You weren't tied down with corporate responsibilities. Now, you have far less freedom, and you're going to end up becoming Spinefarm's bitch.

Try listening to Follower, to Nemesis and Blind Dog Pride. See if you can, without feeling like a hypocrite.

Oh Fiindil, dont get so bitchy. Just drop it man, this is a good thing. At least now you'll be able to see the band live :)

EDIT:
In other news, I made my first animated .gif. There are 2 very similar pictures of Jonne on the new site, I think one should be removed or something, seems hes stealing the spotlight with his awesome guitar ;D ;D

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:31:37 pm by ffaalloouutt »

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2006, 07:34:31 pm »

Findil, I don't feel like a hypocrite. I can stand behind this choice 100% for the reasons I've already explained.
And even though I'm sure I can't discourage your disappointment right now, I will prove to you in the long run that I mean what I'm saying. So if you can bare it, stick with us through this, and give me the chance to prove we're nobody's bitch in this. This was a business decision...

And as for our freedom, Spinefarm won't make us do anything we don't want to do. You watch.

---

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 07:35:52 pm »
For me this is a natural and totally expected progression. Machinae Supremacy are a fantastic band and you cannot expect to remain underground forever and continue creating music with the mere pennies they earn in their daily jobs. If the band is to continue living then it must eventually look to greater powers, as regretabble as that may be. Machinae seem to be good enough to get the attention of Spinefarm and so that must mean that Spinefarm considers them musically worthy enough to earn them record sales. That is a fantastic thing. Can people not be happy that their favorite band will soon be reaching out to hopefully millions of new listeners? Or are you so arrogant and selfish that you wish to keep the knowledge of this underground phenomenon to yourself?

Understand though, that I too have reservations about all this. Seeing free downloads disappear from the site is worrying as these should not be Spinefarm's posession and decision to restrict, in my opinion. This music was created out of their time and should continue being free as they always had been.

As long as Robert and the guys continue to stretch their rights and keep what the essence of Machinae is - keeping SID and insisting that certain tracks remain in the album - then I believe everything will be okay and I truly look forward to the day when I can walk into HMV, go to 'M' section and locate 'Machinae Supremacy' and then think "I supported these guys for 5 years before they were famous." and be fucking proud about it as I buy their newest album.

Smeagol

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2006, 07:39:09 pm »

Findil, I don't feel like a hypocrite. I can stand behind this choice 100% for the reasons I've already explained.
And even though I'm sure I can't discourage your disappointment right now, I will prove to you in the long run that I mean what I'm saying. So if you can bare it, stick with us through this, and give me the chance to prove we're nobody's bitch in this. This was a business decision...

And as for our freedom, Spinefarm won't make us do anything we don't want to do. You watch.

I'll watch the outcome of this with great interest. I just hope that you haven't sold your morals for some quick currency.