Author Topic: Machinae signed with spinefarm records  (Read 71892 times)

Offline ПФББЧ

• Has lovely moobs
Re: Machinae signed with spinefarm records
« Reply #285 on: October 03, 2006, 03:32:27 pm »
yeah, the politics are far more important! >:(
^____________________^
               \__/

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2006, 04:44:18 pm »
I wish MaSu all the best with the deal, but count me out from now on, i'm not giving those record asswipes my cash.
So see you on the filesharing networks!

*slaps forehead* ok... it's been said before, but here it is again...

more people buy machinae's album off record label = more cash for the record label (which is bad, yes, but... wait for the next step... are you ready?) = MORE CHANCE OF MACHINAE MAKING ALBUMS IN THE FUTURE

as soon as the record label changes machinae's music, then you have a right to give up on them. but so far they have done nothing wrong. so stop being a dick.

So your saying that you can't be convicted for attempted murder? They already tried to change MaSu...
The attempt might have failed, but Spinefarm owns MaSu now... They are the boss, they might start soft, but if they don't get enough money they can pull strings. If MaSu breaks the deal when that happens, all the better.
I have no grudge against MaSu for the choice they made, however, if you ask for opinions, don't expect all replies to be to your liking.
My opinion is that, based on my own experience, record deals changes music and I don't like that.
Big deal... MaSu is not gonna die because of me, but I can sleep easy knowing that my cash is safe from the corps...
And about the release of future albums... what good are 4 spinefarm forced mainstream MaSu albums against 1 good totaly homebrew album.
About the studio and mixing... if you've got a crap album, you can throw in the pro remastering team, but under that decoration it's still crap.
Like placing a flower in a piece of poo, it's still poo after that, only it looks nicer at first, untill the smell gets to you.
And I for one, do not like the smell of recordlabels.
Is it so hard to understand that in my eyes, paying recordlabels is paying recordlabels, no matter who's album it is?

You know that MaSu and Spinefarm are more than friends than masters and slaves, you know that, right?
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline leicesterfox

« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2006, 05:45:18 pm »
It is still amazing to see that there people out there still with their blinkers on.
You know what.......Fuck them.
Sacrifices must be made for the greater good of mankind.

Offline ПФББЧ

• Has lovely moobs
« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2006, 06:07:33 pm »
speaking of blinkers...

^____________________^
               \__/

Offline leicesterfox

« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2006, 06:12:07 pm »
That is very arb.

Offline Fensty

« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2006, 06:37:34 pm »
I think it's funny that Creative Input and Murder is comparable in some people's minds. :)

yay for Creative Input ABOUT Murder. as for these minds you speak of, they need those top secret government implants they're probably paranoid about to actually inplant some common sense into their heads. I don't even know WHERE he pulled "murder" from, I see absolutely NO connections whatsoever...

Spinefarm have some sweet bands signed on, but I hope this doesn't attract too many of those mainstream emos that you see walking round with bad hair and too much eyeshadow...
I Reject Your Reality, And Substitute My Own.

Offline leicesterfox

« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2006, 06:49:01 pm »
Yiiiisss, that is one thing I don't want to see.

I know here in South Africa, MaSu are making headway on the LAN side of things.
All the gamers are talking about them.

Thats a good start

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2006, 07:58:41 pm »
Ok, just returned. Won't read the whole 20 pages.

w00t, excellent!

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2006, 02:51:47 am »
First a reorganized forum, and now this?
Awesome things have happened during my little absence, it seems. Rock on, guys! Good luck with your newfound evil overlords... er, record company I mean ;D
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #294 on: October 05, 2006, 03:08:49 pm »
"And this section is for the emos, and this is for the goths, and this is for the punkrockers, and..."
Your approval fills me with shame.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Fucking Sellouts! I hate you guys now!
« Reply #295 on: October 05, 2006, 04:33:48 pm »
I remember, back in the days before the release of Redeemer, when there was talk about trying to get a record deal. I believe either I suggested checking out Spinefarm, or more likely somebody else doing so and me seconding. Now this has happened. I hope this to be, when all is said and done, a good thing.

I'm putting in my two cents late in the discussion, but my two cents are old, 19th century ones, and therefore worth more ;D

Yes, Spinefarm did want to change some aspects of the music. They came with creative input. We've done it on the forums a whole lot of times, and nobody ever screamed at us for doing it. As Robert, and hopefully the contract, states, the guys have kept total creative control over their music. This is an important point.

A lot of people scream about Spinefarm being part of Universal, and as such a member of the RIAA. While I don't like that aspect, the potential positive sides, if the band has gotten a good contract, outshines this by far.

But then I wonder: Has the band gotten a good contract? I've heard so many horror stories about bands being cheated off of everything by the record labels, ending up owing the label more money than they've earned. Many record labels, instead of sponsoring and paying for the recording, mixing and mastering of the bands albums, simply let the band borrow money from them to do this. Through doing this, the label will suddenly control the band completely, effectively making them "slaves".

I have to ask you, Robert: This is not the case with your contract at Spinefarm, is it? You don't borrow money from them? If the answer is no, if Spinefarm pays for you without expecting their money back (apart from in the form of record sales, of course), then I am positive to your signing. This, and not whether or not you've signed with an RIAA affiliate, is what is important.

If the above is the case, the signing will mean more time to make music, more time to tour, and probably more money in the bank for the band members. Even if they get less money per CD, and even if they get less money from album sales in total. There are no bands who get rich selling CDs, they get rich selling concert tickets. Remember that, and support the local Machinae Gig.

Rock on, off, or whatever you want. Just make sure to keep creative control and a positive account balance towards Spinefarm.

EDIT: Yes, The Ru. The same applies in Norway as well. But it's still true that the main income of a band is touring.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:55:44 pm by Torp »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

the ru

Re: Fucking Sellouts! I hate you guys now!
« Reply #296 on: October 05, 2006, 04:39:16 pm »
There are no bands who get rich selling CDs, they get rich selling concert tickets.

Swedish artists also get income from STIM. If you register your songs at STIM, you'll get paid when they're played on radio/TV/clubs/etc...

I'm not sure how it works in other countries, if most countries even have something like that.

the ru

« Reply #297 on: October 05, 2006, 04:58:17 pm »
Yes, especially as metal bands don't get much airplay in mainstream media.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
Re: Fucking Sellouts! I hate you guys now!
« Reply #298 on: October 05, 2006, 06:08:01 pm »
I remember, back in the days before the release of Redeemer, when there was talk about trying to get a record deal. I believe either I suggested checking out Spinefarm, or more likely somebody else doing so and me seconding. Now this has happened. I hope this to be, when all is said and done, a good thing.

I'm putting in my two cents late in the discussion, but my two cents are old, 19th century ones, and therefore worth more ;D

Yes, Spinefarm did want to change some aspects of the music. They came with creative input. We've done it on the forums a whole lot of times, and nobody ever screamed at us for doing it. As Robert, and hopefully the contract, states, the guys have kept total creative control over their music. This is an important point.

A lot of people scream about Spinefarm being part of Universal, and as such a member of the RIAA. While I don't like that aspect, the potential positive sides, if the band has gotten a good contract, outshines this by far.

But then I wonder: Has the band gotten a good contract? I've heard so many horror stories about bands being cheated off of everything by the record labels, ending up owing the label more money than they've earned. Many record labels, instead of sponsoring and paying for the recording, mixing and mastering of the bands albums, simply let the band borrow money from them to do this. Through doing this, the label will suddenly control the band completely, effectively making them "slaves".

I have to ask you, Robert: This is not the case with your contract at Spinefarm, is it? You don't borrow money from them? If the answer is no, if Spinefarm pays for you without expecting their money back (apart from in the form of record sales, of course), then I am positive to your signing. This, and not whether or not you've signed with an RIAA affiliate, is what is important.

If the above is the case, the signing will mean more time to make music, more time to tour, and probably more money in the bank for the band members. Even if they get less money per CD, and even if they get less money from album sales in total. There are no bands who get rich selling CDs, they get rich selling concert tickets. Remember that, and support the local Machinae Gig.

Rock on, off, or whatever you want. Just make sure to keep creative control and a positive account balance towards Spinefarm.

EDIT: Yes, The Ru. The same applies in Norway as well. But it's still true that the main income of a band is touring.

Don't worry, there's no such clause in our contract. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about it, actually, but I'll go as far as to say this: If the label invests more than they've committed to under certain circumstances, we may lose out on royalties (until the debt is paid). And to be perfectly honest, I could care less about losing out on royalties. :)

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2006, 06:12:49 pm »
teosto is the thing that give moneyzor for the artist from airtime, radioplay etc