Author Topic: Machinae signed with spinefarm records  (Read 76519 times)

Offline ibmman85

• falling into the wired....
Re: Machinae signed with spinefarm records
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2006, 05:59:30 pm »
We may just do that, give a guide on DIY - MASU Style.

You said that last time I asked about that like 2 years ago  ;)

It really would be useful though, somehow my band still sounds like crap after 6 years, thousands of dollars in equipment, and one member majoring in Acoustics and Music Technology. Getting better, really slowly...

Lysix

« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2006, 06:05:53 pm »
We may just do that, give a guide on DIY - MASU Style.

But seriously, when I say "expensive" I mean that I think it sounds so good now I can't believe it's the same material. This really shows to me that we are better than we thought we were, we just didn't manage to express it as well as the guys who remixed this for us, imo. I mean, they used OUR material, that we recorded in our amateurish way, and made it sound like a full-fledged, paid-for studio album, in just one week. I think that's pretty awesome.

I'm trusting your judgement here. Just don't let us down, yeah? :)
But get that guide up sometime soon, or else you'll have hell to pay!

Offline Ratti

« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2006, 06:10:20 pm »
Something that would be kinda interesting:

the tracklist of the retail edition is the same (i think) as it was back when the retail edition was to be released on JMT.
Now I wonder: Did you just take the same tracklist from there to Spinefarm on your own,
or have they said that they prefer this version to the longer Underground Version.
If so, why? Length? Too many different song styles? Japanese Lyrics in the chorus  ;D?

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2006, 06:15:20 pm »
And, what happened to JMT?
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline Kobi

« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2006, 06:37:43 pm »
Much happens during the times I'm away I see. I personally see this as possitive thing and everything is always evolving. I does not bother me if the music is sold under another lable then the band itself. I just get more and more curious about what might come from this. I don't really see why people whine either? Calling the band sell outs and all. Thats bullshit. The only day that MaSu could be called sell outs is when Robert does a duet with Britney Spears... wich we all know will never happen (I hope). The thing is, this is the way the band wants to go and I continue to be a follower. I see no reason to doubt in the band at all. YAY MaSu!

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2006, 07:17:47 pm »
Everyone got angry when Chumbawamba, who had been invlved with a Fuck EMI project, signed to a sublabel of EMI in the early 90's. They're no longer with that label, but people know who the fuck they are, and they're still anarchist independents. It IS possible.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Julmis

• Steven commands you! Obey!
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2006, 07:28:37 pm »
Wow! Good news indeed :) I will look forward to hear the new version of Redeemer.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2006, 07:59:04 pm »
Something that would be kinda interesting:

the tracklist of the retail edition is the same (i think) as it was back when the retail edition was to be released on JMT.
Now I wonder: Did you just take the same tracklist from there to Spinefarm on your own,
or have they said that they prefer this version to the longer Underground Version.
If so, why? Length? Too many different song styles? Japanese Lyrics in the chorus  ;D?

Tomi at JMT made the tracklist to be better suited for "new" ears to hear it. He was also the one who suggested we release the underground edition first, for the fans, and then made the retail edition to better suit the worldwide record store audience... Sure, we liked this idea because it meant we could get our album out NOW, the way we made it, and still get another version of it out in stores. 

The underground edition had all the songs we intended the album to have, though JMT-Tomi wanted Ghost on his version as well, which was fine... Ghost is a leet song.

JMT was pretty much out of the picture already when we released the UE, because they didn't communicate well and it felt like they were unpredictable, even though it seemed they knew what they were doing. But the playlist JMT-Tomi did was great, in my opinion. It was someone else's detached ears saying how the song list should be, and when I listened to the songs in that order, over and over, it made perfect sense... It was a sweet tracklist.

When Spinefarm contacted us they initially wanted us from the next release and onward, but we said we wanted to release the retail edition of Redeemer, and they agreed. We took the playlist JMT made, because it was a good playlist. Spinefarm suggested we'd remove Oki Kuma because it was too "soft"... They are a metal label, after all. We said no.

And that's where we are today.

I should remind you, that when we released DXM and then DXMv2 people got kinda wigged that we had a bonus track on v2. They told us "that's not how you do it, you should have the bonus track on the first edition so that the ones who get THAT one get the most out of it"...

You could see this as just a lesson learned from this experience. Those of you who knew about us since before, who got the Underground Edition, got more songs than the ones who will follow in your footsteps.

Don't be mad. Be proud.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2006, 08:08:10 pm »
Good to hear, and good job showing those Corps about Oki Kuma, I rather like that song.

Ghost is awesome and newbies will love it.

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2006, 08:10:47 pm »
I have little time here before i need to leave (as i am in school), so i'll make this brief:
To everyone who is telling people to shut up for voicing their opinions, fuck you.  Seriously.  Just because you dont agree, dont silence others.  Thats what we are doing here- having discussion, a very OPEN discussion, about the issues at hand.  and trying to silence voices makes you look like a bastard.

secondly, I'm still unnerved by the hypocricy of the situation, but i have no control over this.  In the end, i guess what my whole long message was saying is that i love you guys, and i'm worried about you.  I've seen a lot of bands go down teh path you are headed on, with disasterous results (AFI comes to mind)
At the same time, i've seen bands go down a similar path with good results (Against Me! comes to mind).  The difference is taht i can already hear the beginnings of change.  Rob, dont think that i hate you.  If you ever come to chicago, i will be the FIRST one to buy tickets.  but that doesnt mean i am going to love your new stuff.  And i'll be damned if im quiet about it too.

I ahve more to say, but my time is up for now.  another post in a few hours.

Lysix

« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2006, 08:15:34 pm »
I have little time here before i need to leave (as i am in school), so i'll make this brief:
To everyone who is telling people to shut up for voicing their opinions, fuck you.  Seriously.  Just because you dont agree, dont silence others.  Thats what we are doing here- having discussion, a very OPEN discussion, about the issues at hand.  and trying to silence voices makes you look like a bastard.

secondly, I'm still unnerved by the hypocricy of the situation, but i have no control over this.  In the end, i guess what my whole long message was saying is that i love you guys, and i'm worried about you.  I've seen a lot of bands go down teh path you are headed on, with disasterous results (AFI comes to mind)
At the same time, i've seen bands go down a similar path with good results (Against Me! comes to mind).  The difference is taht i can already hear the beginnings of change.  Rob, dont think that i hate you.  If you ever come to chicago, i will be the FIRST one to buy tickets.  but that doesnt mean i am going to love your new stuff.  And i'll be damned if im quiet about it too.

I ahve more to say, but my time is up for now.  another post in a few hours.

Deep breaths. It's a shocking hit, but everybody will adjust to it (myself included).

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2006, 08:23:24 pm »
As long as they (MaSu) holds the reigns, everything will be cool.

Also though an amazing artist and one of my fav's don't follow the Ozzy Osbourne path (Massive amounts of drugs.)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2006, 08:23:43 pm »
I've seen a lot of bands go down teh path you are headed on, with disasterous results (AFI comes to mind)
At the same time, i've seen bands go down a similar path with good results (Against Me! comes to mind).  The difference is taht i can already hear the beginnings of change. 

You kinda make it sound like better production is bad...

The new mixing has made the songs more powerful, clearer. The vocals are louder and clearer, the guitars have more edge and more chuggy meatiness, the bass guitar is deeper and punchier. You can hear the SID better than before, and the other synths have more space, and the lead guitars more wind in your hair... And you can hear a lot of things in the songs you couldn't hear before because they were so clogged up.

If better sound production is change in the wrong direction, then boy is my thumb not on the pulse of our fanbase.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:26:41 pm by robert »

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2006, 08:30:13 pm »
You've said that the new album is being remixed and remastered by the label, but elsewhere you also said that the label doesnt appreciate your sid sound. Does that mean that in the mixing of future albums the sid is going to take a back-seat?

Smeagol

« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2006, 08:37:00 pm »
You've said that the new album is being remixed and remastered by the label, but elsewhere you also said that the label doesnt appreciate your sid sound. Does that mean that in the mixing of future albums the sid is going to take a back-seat?

If that means no more songs like 'Arcade' I'm all for it.