Author Topic: Machinae signed with spinefarm records  (Read 51846 times)

Offline Irrationalist

Re: Machinae signed with spinefarm records
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 06:04:37 pm »
Mixed feelings. I live in the US and know all about the Recording Industry Assholes of America, but the ability to see them play in the US someday, and be able ti buy their albums here would $#@!@#! blow my mind !!!

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 06:10:12 pm »
well everyone cant be pleased the band has said that they support filesharing etc... and it doesnt matter in things like that. The band will be heard now by much bigger audience and they can spread the word much more godly way now :)
fuck it, just look at the organization of the Website now:
It's just like every band website, the downloads (which made MaSu famous) are not important anymore and are hidden away in some "archive", and it is way too commercialized: The Shop is everywhere (top bar, news, releases, hell, even in "pictures").

Unfortunately, money is everything this world is about.  :(
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline leicesterfox

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 06:38:00 pm »
Quite frankly, I was a great fan of the original website of days gone by.
It had all the aspects that MaSu were about, the characatures, the feel and look.

Another is also the text used on the original and also on the DXM CD. That should be a trademark text for the guys.

In terms with a record deal, it is always great to go big in a way.
At least it is not under the parent company.
There is a reason why these smaller record labels are there.

Taking for instance M83, their label is GOOOM, a subsidary of EMI and with no major commercial look or feel to it at all.

So maybe its not so bad after all
Sacrifices must be made for the greater good of mankind.

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 06:41:33 pm »
I'd love to hear from the band what they personally expect from this deal. If robert thinks "that this is a very good thing", there must be a reason.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 06:44:14 pm »
Let me provide you with some perspective...

We've been pushing along on our own for 6 years now... We've done all the work, all the time, and we've still to reach outside the net. We haven't made any money (except a little that we've used to pay rehearsal room rent, some gear etc... No private money has been earned, ever), but that's ok, because we've had fun..

We have played in two countries except our own, and on top of that Machinae Supremacy gigs are rare. When we've contacted festivals and such they say "You don't have a label, that makes you a demo band... But our demo stage is full, sorry, call back when you have a label."

Now, we want to continue making music, and continue to stay close to our fans. But all the bullshit you encounter in the DIY realm is really getting tiresome. With a major label such as Spinefarm backing us up there's one major change that you, our fans, will notice... And that's gigs. We still feel and believe as we've done before, but we want to get out more and play more gigs and get our album in out in stores. Spinefarm is already looking into getting us a booking agency, which means people who's job it'll be to get gigs for us.

Now, we probably won't get any richer from this. Spinefarm will, undoubtedly, but we don't care about that. In fact we'll go from getting every penny of an album sold to getting practically zero. If you think having a major label makes someone rich, you're mistaken, trust me.

We chose to do this because the advantages outweight the disadvantages, and because it was a step we've not yet taken. We wouldn't have done this with any label, either. Spinefarm is, after all, Spinefarm.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 06:47:25 pm »
w0rd!

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 06:48:11 pm »
Oh, and you should be glad to know, that Spinefarm has a policy not to restrict or try to manipulate the bands in their compilation of albums and music.

They wanted us to remove Oki Kumas Adventure from the album. We didn't. And they accepted it.

They wanted to remove the SID-stuff from Ronin and similar issues in other songs... We said no.

They really didn't grab us because of the SID-stuff, so they don't get that aspect of Machinae Supremacy. But luckily, they don't have to, because so far, we've gotten the last word in these issues.

So you see, they do have opinions, but they haven't pulled rank yet.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Smeagol

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 06:53:10 pm »
What about the 2 free downloads per album thing you have going? Will that be cast aside under the new arrangement?

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 06:54:50 pm »
What about website releases at all?

Smeagol

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 07:00:28 pm »
The current releases are hidden away. Because it doesn't make their new masters any money.

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 07:03:17 pm »
The current releases are hidden away. Because it doesn't make their new masters any money.
Yes, but does this deal mean there won't be any new site releases?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 07:03:23 pm »
Oh, and you should be glad to know, that Spinefarm has a policy not to restrict or try to manipulate the bands in their compilation of albums and music.

They wanted us to remove Oki Kumas Adventure from the album. We didn't. And they accepted it.

They wanted to remove the SID-stuff from Ronin and similar issues in other songs... We said no.

They really didn't grab us because of the SID-stuff, so they don't get that aspect of Machinae Supremacy. But luckily, they don't have to, because so far, we've gotten the last word in these issues.

So you see, they do have opinions, but they haven't pulled rank yet.

Eeeeh. They asked you to remove stuff?

Well its lucky you did have the last word, that sucks.

Offline leicesterfox

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 07:03:52 pm »
Website releases is a good question. What will happen there?

But respect to the band, they fully understand what it means to keep close to their fans.
And I think standing up for their music to not be changed shows great character.
I have seen too many go down like that.

Respect to Robert and the gang.

Thats another interesting question. Who does all the fighting for the band? Is it robert cos we always hear from him about the exploits and stuff like that.
I mean with introduction of Pallo and the harder line music leading after that, I would reckon he is quite the fighter when it comes to this sort of thing having a "hard" nature.
Sacrifices must be made for the greater good of mankind.

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 07:04:46 pm »
rob is a tough as a lil puppy ;)

Offline Gordon

• Band Member
  • Tack som FAAAN! =)
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 07:09:19 pm »
well everyone cant be pleased the band has said that they support filesharing etc... and it doesnt matter in things like that. The band will be heard now by much bigger audience and they can spread the word much more godly way now :)
fuck it, just look at the organization of the Website now:
It's just like every band website, the downloads (which made MaSu famous) are not important anymore and are hidden away in some "archive", and it is way too commercialized: The Shop is everywhere (top bar, news, releases, hell, even in "pictures").

Unfortunately, money is everything this world is about.  :(

Please, people.... calm down!!! Here's the thing... Spinefarm is a finnish record lable that believe in us and will help us to release our albums so that you people can buy it from a store near you. Also this is a step forward in getting lots of gigs and doing tours. We still support filesharing and all that stuff. Buying the record will support the band and making it easier for us to get noticed in the industry and sharing is a way to spread our music even further.

This record deal is a good thing. We're not selling out (much). =) This is the next step and hopefully makes it easier to reach out to all you fans out there. The MachinaeShop is still run by us guys in Machinae Supremacy and all eventual profit will go directly to us.

"Det är Arvids tur att sitta i lådan."