Author Topic: Machinae signed with spinefarm records  (Read 76528 times)

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
Re: Machinae signed with spinefarm records
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2006, 02:16:00 am »
Fuck all this other shit.

Congratufuckinglations Machinae Supremacy.

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2006, 02:24:17 am »
The Underground Edition contains all the songs we made, and it was meant for ... You guessed it... The underground fans. The people who already know Machinae Supremacy.

The retail edition was meant to be a more "optimized" and not as long version, and meant for the new audience... A stepping stone into the sound of Machinae Supremacy.

You still have time to get the Underground Edition. We have several hundred copies left of it.

Mainstream mortals can't handle a full length edition, weaklings...

I think this is all good really. Everyone has been crying out for more gigs all around the world and now it may not be far off.

My only concern is that there is some really small invisible print in the contract that has been overlooked. But I think MaSu has the brains to make sure everything is in order.

The sound has changed dramatically from the old winterstorms and arcades and I hope it will continue to change. If a MaSu song ever sounds just like another I will be worried. The old times are history, history wont be forgotten and it shouldn't be rewritten. Hopefully there will be some stray song released on website (I hate singles) in the future and hopefully it will be something extraordinarily different.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2006, 02:55:03 am »
I'm unbelievably sad over this.

I've been talking with a number of my friends locally, and with magicman and speedd, about you guys for a while now, and i've been saying something that is too unsettling.  I had been talking about how you guys had 'figuratively' sold out- your sound is changed, you dont release free songs nearly as much, you seem to be spending a lot less time doing what brought me (and many others, i believe) to you in the first place.
I look at my machinae library, which has the betas, and which i am not ashamed of listening to, and i think, what happened?  where is missing link?  earthbound?  why dont we have any songs like Winterstorm?  It's all gone... all that stuff that brought me back to my young years in front of my NES, its gone.  All that awesome stuff that made me proud to blast you on the highway... its gone.  You sound less... unique than you used to.

And i respect that.  I love you guys still.  But where you used to be my 'favorite' band, the band that i loved that was so unique and so brilliant and so radical that i had to make EVERYONE listen to... now you sound like a rock band.  Redeemer was a rock album, not a SID album.

And now this.

Yes, i'm making this out to be a lot bigger than it probably is.  but hear me out.  First off, one of the things that most bothers me is the fact that your record label is RIAA.  I dont care if you still want to *stick it to the man*, that doesnt mean ANYTHING.  In the realm of social actions, there is intent, and there is impact.  what you intend to do is rubbish if the impact is totally different.  you're 'intending' to stick it to the man, but what will end up happening is your profits will go to SF, who will pay their dues to RIAA, who will prosecute us filesharers even more.  THAT is the impact of your actions.
As for creative imput, i'm glad to see that you still have some control.  but i still have doubts.  Those in power can control those under them, and that is whats going to end up happen.  It'll be subtle, and it'll be  slow, but it'll happen.  To you, SF is your shot at bigtime.  to SF, you're another group to bank.  SF can find others, but for you guys, it'll be harder.

Intent versus Impact.  You're intending for this to be good, but the impact of this can only be bad in the long run.

Yes, i understand you want to reach out to new people, but dont forsake from whence you came.  The old fans, the old style, the old music, all must be respected.  Putting your old stuff, where some of your BEST material comes from, in a corner, is embarassing.  Be proud of who you are, even if you are different now!  Winterstorm, Sidstyler, Missing Link, Timeline, Hero, Legion of Stoopid, Loot Burn Rape Kill Repeat, Hybrid... those are MACHINAE SUPREMACY songs!  not 'songs from our past projects'.

I am happy for you, and i am sad for myself.  It seems that my favorite band has fallen out of my favor.  Maybe time will rectify, but i doubt it.  to quote William Shakespeare,

Quote from: King Lear, 4.6.260-264
Wherefore, bold peasant,/
Dar'st thou support a published traitor?  Hence,/
Lest that th'infection of his fortune take/
Like hold on thee.  Let go his arm!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2006, 03:03:15 am »
Let me quote not12x for emphasis.

Yes, i understand you want to reach out to new people, but dont forsake from whence you came.  The old fans, the old style, the old music, all must be respected.  Putting your old stuff, where some of your BEST material comes from, in a corner, is embarassing.  Be proud of who you are, even if you are different now!  Winterstorm, Sidstyler, Missing Link, Timeline, Hero, Legion of Stoopid, Loot Burn Rape Kill Repeat, Hybrid... those are MACHINAE SUPREMACY songs!  not 'songs from our past projects'.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2006, 03:41:58 am »
I say: whatever. Changes are regrettable, but it's how the world works. I support the band 100% in whatever they do.

The music may be different, but the people making it are the same.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline ПФББЧ

• Has lovely moobs
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2006, 04:04:56 am »
Time will tell. For now, rock on, metal gods.

/bow

....and back to lurking!
^____________________^
               \__/

Lexx

« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2006, 04:25:45 am »
but what's gonna happen with the songs that inevitably get cut from the third album?

Inevitably? Jumping the gun a bit..

Oh.. and congratulations, Machinae Supremacy!

Offline ibmman85

• falling into the wired....
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2006, 04:55:42 am »
  Although my post count isn't very high, I've been around here since I first heard gianna sisters and sidology on scenemusic.net.. immediately caught my attention because I like to rock, I'm rather a geek, and there was such awesome songwriting that seemed to be going on there, even without any vocals or anything, the songs seemed to have real personality. So I've been following pretty closely for 4 or 5 years, bought V1 of both albums, and tried as much as I could to get people I knew to listen (with fairly good success). I've always felt that some sort of label had to be involved eventually, especially with how much the band has persisted and persisted in the face of adversity. Amazing to have accomplished all of this alone, and it's always been pretty amazing. I consider this to be more like levelling up. because now the possibilities have once again opened up, and this time it's gonna be over the whole fricking world this time, physical and on the net. I don't think the evolution of the band will change at all, any more than it would have anyway. I can't really say I liked Redeemer more than DXM, partially because I didn't think it had quite as much unique character but some of that was also the mix being a little fatiguing to me, but I think that will have been at least somewhat changed now.
   At any rate, even if you can't get around to playing in the US anytime soon (please, we could use some better music here...) a live DVD would be quite wonderful at some point too  ;D Oh and maybe eventually something with a real symphony/orchestra, or is that kind of cliche now...

A hearty Kanpai!! and Ganbatte!! To the band on this success (and that which is to come) and because I fully support Robert's liking of Japanese things.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:57:52 am by ibmman85 »

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2006, 06:26:39 am »
The band definitely deserves a big congrats on this... ;D

Will this eventually lead to the downfall of Machinae Supremacy? Doubt it. Let's wait and see what happens. As long as the awesome music keeps coming at a good pace, all shall be good.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2006, 07:20:58 am »
Ok Rob I have a confession to make. I think the remastered version of Redeemer is a step in the wrong direction. It just sounds so fake and well...wrong. The drums for one sound really fake, and the SID is basically just being lowered which is the thing that pisses me off the most. I also had these feelings about DXM v2, but not as much because the SID dampering was not as much. But now it just seems that you guys went a little too far I think. It's almost as if you're forgetting your "heritage" so to speak. I remember when it used to be about making songs where the SID just fit right in, even if it was louder than the rest of the instruments. Now it seems as if you are almost embarassed (sorry for lack of a better word I can't really think of any other word to describe it) to keep the SID at a reasonable volume. Now it seems like I have to work just to hear it. I agree with not12x when she said the overall style is turning more metal or darker and a lot less SID is involved. This deeply saddens me and I wish you could go back and change the remastering of it. I don't know that this is an overall good step for the band. Pretty soon there are going to be songs without any synth at all! (okay maybe not but you know what I mean)

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2006, 07:33:41 am »
My thoughts on this are pretty much in line with not12x and magicman. However, being a web developer/designer I have some additional things to add for Robert:

I remember you have said it before, and you said it again here - you do not like doing web stuff. Then don't, because it shows. You are very good at art, but there is no functionality in art - there is only functionality in design. Now that you have Spinefarm, I'm very sure they can put you in contact to work directly with some developer(s) and designer(s) who do web stuff for a living and could hopefully put together a much better site (otherwise they aren't worth their salt as designer/developers).

The first thing that strikes me is the fonts - they are a bitch to read. They weren't easy to read on the last site, and they are even harder to read now. The navigation fonts used in the images are bigger, but they are very hard to read because of that grunge look. The contrast is awful, dark grey on black makes things even harder to read.

Second thing that strikes me is when I view the source - frames sucked back in 1996 and for the most part died after 1999 and they died out for several good reasons. There are also other ways to achieve the same functionality/goals without the downsides thanks to CSS and languages such as PHP, Perl and even server side includes.

Third - tables are for tabular data, not layout. CSS is for layout.

Fourth - the site is not standards compliant. Browsers are designed to the standards defined by the w3c and for a web page to work properly in a rendering engine that is standards compliant it must also be standards compliant. It isn't a huge issue for everyone yet, as most browsers such as Firefox still fall back to quirks mode (the reason the new site displays 'fine'), but it is something that needs to end sooner rather than later.

Fifth - Disabling the right click. I didn't notice this because I browse with javascript disabled. But the practice is bad. It breaks expected functionality of the web browser and is a inconvienance to users trying to browse the site.

You can ignore my opinion, both as a professional web developer/designer/consultant and a user of the internet, or choose to do something about it. Your call.

Now onto what I think about the new sound of the remastered/remixed redeemer clips. I don't like it. I did not like the remastered version of ghost posted up long ago and I wasn't really fond of the remastered version of Deus Ex Machinae. Where I prefered the orginal DXM mastering and didn't really think the new one was bad, just different - the difference between the new redeemer clips/ghost and the orginals are night and day in a bad way.

Three random bits from conversations relating to this that I found some what amusing and true:

[19:50] Einkoro: http://www.machinaesupremacy.com/
[19:50] ImustDIE: looks so emo

[20:53] Nathan: I'd like the new sound too...if I was deaf

[21:48] Nathan: fuck I hate this site..I liked the last one better
[21:49] Nathan: I liked the one before that even more
[21:53] Nathan: really...site wise..it's the style the older one was...it was clean and easy to read/navigate ect. the one for redeemer was just really small text with no real design...this new one is just...borderline emo
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 07:54:20 am by Ankle »
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2006, 08:36:11 am »
I agree with the latest posts about the music becoming so clean and feeling too ordinary.

I like chaos, I like the old stuff because it's rough in all the edges.
Sure I love A.C.T who makes perfect music without a single mistake anywhere, but they're making music that's so much more complex in my ears. A.C.T is just about the only band where being perfect is acceptable.

I mostly listen to artists that have rough edges and lots of chaos. My favourite mention among them is Slipknot that just has so much mashing going on it's unbelievable.

So I think I'm simply saying that if you want to make clean music you should increase the complexity a couple of notches.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2006, 09:06:54 am »
Ok... Empire, Kaori Stomp, Fury...

They were removed from the retail edition, which doesnt bother me cause i have them on the underground edition...

but what's gonna happen with the songs that inevitably get cut from the third album? are we gonna miss out on songs like Empire, Fury and Kaori Stomp in the future? That would not be good.

They'll go on the fourth? Or they won't exist... If we now need less songs for an album, we'll probably focus more on getting even more out of every single song, and still finish an album in 20-30% less time than we have before...

Glass half full.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2006, 09:08:22 am »
The only thing I noticed was I don't see the trinity logo anywhere on the new artwork and not very much on the new site (It's the bullet for the news, hehe). That will remain the bands logo right? (Now that it's etched permanently on my flesh) Hehe. I haven't seen anything that would make me think otherwise, as obviously a logo doesnt need to be plastered onto EVERYTHING. Hehe.

The Trinity logo isn't going anywhere, but yeah... It would be kind of tiresome to base all artwork on it all the time...

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2006, 09:21:10 am »
i havent said my 2 cents yet.. and to be honest.. ive been thinking about this all day.. i dont have anything to say that hasnt already been said before.. bands change, its inevitable. music is an art form, and as an art student we were always taught to keep experimenting and trying new things. to stay within a comfort zone is bad. i accept that MaSu is going to change, it will develop and grow, and one day maybe Ill get to see them live.

A record deal isnt bad. It was the next inevitable step for them to take.

Gratz guys. <3
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!