Author Topic: How to learn to play FPSs.  (Read 11508 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: How to learn to play FPSs.
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 07:04:25 pm »
More so in TFC. There's nothing like hitting people with a medpack to make them healthy.
Just like in real world :D

:D

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 02:24:11 pm »
More so in TFC. There's nothing like hitting people with a medpack to make them healthy.
Just like in real world :D

:D

+1 Karma for the stroke of genius.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline ktulu

• Hentai Tentacle
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 04:31:30 pm »
Ordinary fps sucks anyway...

Operation Flashpoint FTW.
Agreed.

Diddo!
Too bad I don't have it... :(.

Anyway, I've played with keyboard-only sets 'till Quake (yeah, I even played the Build Engine games like Duke3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior on keyobard only).
Playing Quake 1 with bots (ahh, good ol' reaperbot) really helped me sharpen my skills. Basically, for fast paced FPS, Quake 3 and UT are a really good choice. If you can beat Xaero (Quake 3) on Nightmare difficulty, then you have some spunk :).
Basically, it's a good idea to move a lot while in a firefight (if you're in the open) so the enemy will have a tougher job at actually hitting you.
As for the controls, I use the WSAD and surounding buttons (this means Q and E for weapon switch, Z,C and X for inventory, R,F,T,G for various uses, SPACE=jump, ALT=crouch (yeah, a lot of people use C for crouch), CTRL=use etc.). I don't really like to use the mouse wheel for weapon swiching.
And yeah, I find it much easier to use inverted Y mouse axis, but as Kernel said, do it the way it suits you.

Hmm... what else (remembering the Q3 training :lol: ), if you have a rocket launcher in the game, try to shoot enemies in the legs (more chance of the explosion hitting the enemy if u miss him and hit the ground). Hehe...
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with apple pie, people can fly...
Deviant n00bster.

Lysix

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 05:01:49 pm »
I can play WoW.. I can play RTSs.. But I cant for the life of me figure out FPSs. I dont know if its because all the commands are different to what Im used to, or if its just because I suck.

My boyfriend makes people cry with his FPS skillz, and like hell Im going to let him get all the glory D:

Someone, for the love of god and all that is holy (no my anus isnt bleeding), tell me how to learn to play FPSs.. decently...

Nobody can tell you how to play. Like WoW and other such games, each has their own preference. Just play lots of a certain FPS, lose miserably constantly and learn from it. It's the only way.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 09:22:13 am »
lolbump. Christmas last year my boyfriend bought me the Id software pack on Steam. So I've been playing Wolf3D a lot. Yes, my steam profile says I don't, but it's stupid. Meh.

My main problem with Wolf3D is the complete lack of a map. I end up going in circles for an hour trying to find where I want to go. My sense of direction is bloody terrible. I found some maps of the floors online so I've been using those and they help muchly.

So I'm slowly learning, from the bottom up, how to FPS.  ???
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

MDX

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 11:33:27 am »
WOO YEAH!

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 02:38:02 pm »
Hah :) I'll never be very good, I don't think, but damned if I'm going to let my boyfriend kick my ass at games.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 02:57:57 pm »
While playing some multiplayer FPS like Quake 3, just jump around while strafing - it makes you a lot harder to hit. Then get a rocket laucher and aim to your opponents legs. And then try to run away if you got some lame weapons.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 10:11:58 pm »
While playing some multiplayer FPS like Quake 3, just jump around while strafing - it makes you a lot harder to hit. Then get a rocket laucher and aim to your opponents legs. And then try to run away if you got some lame weapons.

In Call of Duty 4 this is called "bunnyhopping" and alot of server admins will kick you out of the server for it :P

Lysix

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »
don't see why. they're not exploiting anything except peoples inability to aim.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 11:19:03 pm »
They expect you to stand in the crossfire while shouting "HIT ME! HIT ME!" or what?

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 11:56:04 pm »
They expect you to stand in the crossfire while shouting "HIT ME! HIT ME!" or what?

you can duck, prone, sprint etc. use cover...

COD4 is designed around the Quake 3 engine (modded though) which can create problems like this. Basically your physics are minuscule when you jump in the air at an angle (or while turning) as well as change your dynamics.

It makes you extremely more difficult to hit, as well as adds other things like jump height and distance...for some reason if you strafe/jump you can get almost twice the distance you can normally jump :/

Which is why it is actually not the person's aim that is at fault. But rather they are expoiting the engine.

Offline Deep

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 12:20:18 am »
you can duck, prone, sprint etc. use cover...
COD4 is designed around the Quake 3 engine (modded though) which can create problems like this. Basically your physics are minuscule when you jump in the air at an angle (or while turning) as well as change your dynamics.
It makes you extremely more difficult to hit, as well as adds other things like jump height and distance...for some reason if you strafe/jump you can get almost twice the distance you can normally jump :/
Which is why it is actually not the person's aim that is at fault. But rather they are expoiting the engine.

Bunnyhopping isn't really frowned upon on games such as Wolf3D, Quake, UT etc. You can't really bunnyhop properly on CoD anyway because due to the jumping physics you end up jumping about 1cm forwards per jump, which IMO makes you a bigger target anyway.
One of the main culprits for bunnyhopping tends to be Counter-Strike, where it really is frowned upon in competitive gameplay, but no-one really complains all too much in public servers.

IMO, Bunnyhopping is a skill. It is still technically an exploit in the game engine but it is a skill to be learned which ultimately adds more depth and more of a learning curve to the game, but which game it is though, weighs heavily on this - for example bunnyhopping in Quake/UT is a very important skill whereas in CoD4 it detracts from gameplay.

Anyway, I could write and publish quite a few books on bunnyhopping, but I'm sure it's as tiresome to read about as the skill is to learn in the first place.

So, trailing slowly back on topic, I do also suggest that you should learn to bunnyhop, Dimruthien. Also, I'm pretty much an FPS guru so if you have any questions then shoot me a few PM's. :)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 01:17:14 am »
By bunnyhopping, are we talking about stuff like sledding in Tribes where you could get up to stupidly fast speeds by strafejumping?
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Deep

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 01:46:28 am »
By bunnyhopping, are we talking about stuff like sledding in Tribes where you could get up to stupidly fast speeds by strafejumping?

Sounds similar, yes. Physics/jump engines are different on other games, though. You can get to increased speeds on games like Counter-Strike by bunnyhopping (the strafe-jumping type - but it has been somewhat thwarted in CS), but say for Quake-type games (UT, Quake, ET etc) bunnyhopping does not require strafe jumping and keeps you jumping a constant forward speed and is pretty much required to keep up with other players most of the time.