Author Topic: How to learn to play FPSs.  (Read 11510 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: How to learn to play FPSs.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 01:23:22 am »
Yes, because just jumping into the hardest difficulty possible is clearly the best way to learn and works for everyone.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 01:25:36 am »
and that free wolfenstein multiplayer thingy that I can't remember the name of but was pretty fun back in the day.

Enemy Territory?
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Kernel

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 01:48:58 am »
Hmm, back then, we used to play Duke Nukem 3D a lot. I always played without the mouse. This was good enough for single player mode, but I got my ass kicked on multiplayer every time.
Then some years later I got the hang on Half-Life and later on Unreal Tournament. I had my controls customized and everything. But I think I had overdone it a bit with that.
I read some gaming magazines regularly at that time, and they had information and hints on how to play best. Even on how to customize the controls in a way so you can actually play that thing *g*
And I had some Counter-Strike pros among my friends, guess they taught me a lot, too...
Well, I knew all the theory, but in-game, I just lacked the skills.

So what I really wanted to tell you in here is...
Well, customize your controls so that you can use them without thinking about "how" to do something and concentrate on "what" you do.
What I do most of the time is not to use the standars WSAD, but SXAD - S for forward, X for backwards. It's good to have the stuff you need all the time around there, so you don't have to move your hand around. Perhaps E for an action, R for reload, whatever. Just figure out which buttons you need a lot in whatever game you're playing, and put them where you can reach them easily without thinking about it or even having to look down at the keyboard.
Learning to look around and aiming with the mouse is kinda hard at the beginning, but you'll get used to that. If it feels odd, try using the "inverted mouse" feature (which reverses the up/down axis). I use it all the time, but I think that's just a question of what you're used to. The first time I played a shooter with the mouse was Duke Nukem 3D, and that one had the mouse inverted by default, so I stuck to it.

And then, when you know how to move around... just play. And watch others play. Watch how your boyfriend plays and maybe you're gonna find out some useful moves he does. Practise those moves, maybe agains bots, cause they're more patient and don't keep telling you "that time last week, when you jumped in there without an armor suit, that was just SOO stupid" all day.
Maybe you'll find some kind of guide in a magazine or something. They help you to find out what's most important in which game, for example what weapons to use in what situations or whether it's more important to get the armor first or just rush for the biggest gun.
Oh, and when playing a game that involves switching guns a lot, don't use the mouse wheel. It's too slow and inexact, you may end up having the wrong weapon and having to turn the wheel back, and you have to move your finger off the trigger. The number row of the keyboard, which is preset for switching weapons in most games, should be ok. You'll just have to practise the hand movements to switch guns quickly, maybe something like "temporarily put the ring finger on the forward button to keep moving and reach for the 7 with your index finger, and then shift your hand back to normal" in a split second.
And practise. Maybe play a single-player campaign of an ego-shooter. The more you play, the more you'll get used to it, and once you get used to it, you can start getting good at it.

Hmm... yeah. It's all about practise in this kind of games, learning the controls by heart and develop some kind of "reflexes" to play quikly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:59:27 am by Kernel »

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 06:56:54 am »
and that free wolfenstein multiplayer thingy that I can't remember the name of but was pretty fun back in the day.

Enemy Territory?

That would be it.

On the topic of mouse senisitivity: You will instinctually set it too high. It feels great moving the mouse like 2mm and being able to spin around but it will in the end be very counter productive. It makes headshots a real bitch and there is a good reason most of the good players all use really really low levels of sensitivity. Start high if it feels comfortable and wheen yourself down.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 05:25:16 pm »
Download the Unreal Tournament demo form here:
http://unreal.epicgames.com/TournamentVersions.htm

Check your controls before playing so that you know the basic movement (including strafe, aka stepping from side to side), jump, crouch and fire keys.

I'm not sure if the demo has the tutorial level but if it does start with that, it will explain the basics to you step by step and allow you to try everything out a bit at a time

If the demo does not include the tutorial then practice against the "bots" (AI controlled players.) You can use the practice (read: near instand action) mode to set the AI to auto adjust based on your skill or lack of.
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.
I'll sacrifice what I believe.
My little girlscout, your mouth is getting sore.
Will you love me any less, if I hurt you any more?

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 08:34:39 pm »
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 09:22:16 pm »
On the topic of mouse senisitivity: You will instinctually set it too high. It feels great moving the mouse like 2mm and being able to spin around but it will in the end be very counter productive. It makes headshots a real bitch and there is a good reason most of the good players all use really really low levels of sensitivity. Start high if it feels comfortable and wheen yourself down.

maybe im just weird, but i started out with the mouse set really really low, so i could actually aim it at people without accidentally spinning it around. the better i've gotten at games the HIGHER i've put the mouse sensitivity. I was under the impression that most of the best players play it with a high sensitivity.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 11:30:41 pm »
Ordinary fps sucks anyway...

Operation Flashpoint FTW.
Agreed.

Then on with the hints. First, take the game and gamemode you like and that suits you. Do you have thunderlike reflexes? Are you good spotting enemy or reading the terrain? Do you shine on tactics and strategy? Do you like playing as part of the team or are you lone wolf?

Then take group of friends and play with them. Closed servers, friends only are best ones. No-one cheats, it's fairplay and everyone plays gentleman-like. Also server rules may support certain types of gameplay : I like servers with long respawn times or even no-respawn because it makes people play more carefully, cautiously and "realistically".

I think that some games and servers are too much oriented in "who got most kills"-logic which I don't like. I don't like that death of character lose it's importance because people are respawning like rabbits... Run, shoot, die, respawn, run, shoot, die, respawn and so on... It's just plain stupid. I like games where are goals and killing is only instrument for achieving that goal. I don't like games where killing is only goal that game has to offer. Also I think that jump-around FPS' does not make one to fear and respect his enemy because one does not fear death in game. Death ought to be real punishment so it would TEACH people to play better and more carefully. That way they would respect eachother more and gameplays were more fun because there were not so much bad language and unsport attitudes, IMO.

I prefer playing games like Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon and Battlefield series. They are not games where one can run, spray and circlestrife and play only with reflexes. They take some more thinking, tactics and teamplay. They are not full of rooms and corridors but it actually take some map reading and thinking what are best positions and to guess enemy routes to their targets. There are less bottlenecks, also.

I prefer gamemodes with team-elements. I can play various roles and I've specialized in some certain roles. That way I can play most efficiently when playing my main role but I can change my role to something else if gamesituation needs it. I've learned to play both in offence and in defence. My main roles are usually medic, sniper, antitank or some other supportive role. I'm not best and I don't "rule" in any game but I've fun playing them and every now and then I've feelings that I'm good in them. It's so great feeling to achieve goal after good teamplay.

If you want to be REALLY good in some game buy it afresh. That way nobody else gets upper hand because superior knowledge of ground and it takes sometime to learn to play every game. That way everyone else is noob aswell in some degree and your gap in skills does not go too much out of reach. It starts to show on some point when game has been out for certain amount of time but you learn faster and you're more even with real pros as well.

Oh, the last advice : gaming is supposed to be fun. Give games some time so you can learn them and don't play games that does not satisfy you.

Well, that's my contribution to this discussion. I hope that helped some.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Smeagol

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 11:37:24 pm »
I think that some games and servers are too much oriented in "who got most kills"-logic which I don't like. I don't like that death of character lose it's importance because people are respawning like rabbits... Run, shoot, die, respawn, run, shoot, die, respawn and so on... It's just plain stupid.

When I play BF2, it's rare that someone on my team will get the chance to respawn :P

SUPER MEDIC, AWAY!

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 03:19:28 am »
SUPER MEDIC, AWAY!
Yeah, playing medic is really satisfying.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 04:43:22 am »
my boyfriend is intent on teaching me now.

oh the humility

* Dimruthien hides
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 09:33:07 am »
oh the humility

a little submission never hurt anyone...

well, except the native americans and countless other oppressed people.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Smeagol

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 05:26:52 pm »
SUPER MEDIC, AWAY!

Only because you get a godlike score, and win every single round :P

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 06:16:01 pm »
SUPER MEDIC, AWAY!

More so in TFC. There's nothing like hitting people with a medpack to make them healthy.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 06:31:07 pm »
SUPER MEDIC, AWAY!
Only because you get a godlike score, and win every single round :P
Just like in real world :D