Author Topic: How to learn to play FPSs.  (Read 11507 times)

Offline Viherminttu

How to learn to play FPSs.
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:19:43 pm »
I can play WoW.. I can play RTSs.. But I cant for the life of me figure out FPSs. I dont know if its because all the commands are different to what Im used to, or if its just because I suck.

My boyfriend makes people cry with his FPS skillz, and like hell Im going to let him get all the glory D:

Someone, for the love of god and all that is holy (no my anus isnt bleeding), tell me how to learn to play FPSs.. decently...
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
Re: How to learn to play FPSs.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 01:36:14 pm »
WASD for moving around, space to jump.

The rest is mostly point and click...

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Фраеон

• Je zuigt lul
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 01:38:08 pm »
Commands? What sort of commands? I fail to see how an FPS is that much different from a MMO when it comes to controlling it. 'specially if you're playing PvP in MMOs. A lot FPS games just discourage sitting still, so running and strafing like the wind at all times is a good way of not getting shot.

Of course, this is coming from someone who is more often last than first, but...
A universe where there was no War of Independence because British colonial policy was more enlightened. An American Civil War after which Lincoln wasn't assassinated. A Second World War in which Hitler was. Or where the whole planet was invaded by, I don't know, space lizards or something.

Offline Trias

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:40:23 pm »
Well, travel back in time to where you were 14. Invite your friend, let him use your old (first) PC (a grand 486 with 20 MHz), while you of course use the brand-new Pentium with 60 MHz. Then hook the PCs up with a serial cable, and play Doom 2 against each other or cooperatively through all the 30 levels, or use your self-built levels, and do this EVERY afternoon. Well, and then you haven't even learned to use a mouse in FPS...

That's what I did. Well, save the time travelling bit. But you live in a different time line anyway, it seems...

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 01:41:46 pm »
Ordinary fps sucks anyway...

Operation Flashpoint FTW.

Offline LordXaras

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:36:33 pm »
Find yourself a copy of Doom and Quake, the original games. You don't need to play them through if you dont want to, just use them to get a hang of the controls (make sure that you set the controls to the standard of WASD that's used today).

I didn't play much FPS games until people at my old school started playing Quake tournaments in the computer room.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:56:08 pm »
i could always ask my boyfriend.. but i dont want to look like a n00b. :(
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Lexx

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 04:46:13 pm »
LordXaras gave the best advice.. just play through Quake until you can beat it on nightmare before you even think about going online.

p.s. Circle strife.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 07:29:09 pm »
i could always ask my boyfriend.. but i dont want to look like a n00b. :(

here's how i do it, most people playing will spray and hope to hit you, some people will burst but oly hit the body, i myself like to take sometime aiming precisely on the head and clicking twice :)

EDIT: also never panic, stay calm and focused

i hope this  was helpful and not a wasteful 1000th post :<
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 10:11:39 pm »
LordXaras gave the best advice.. just play through Brown until you can beat it on nightmare before you even think about going online.

p.s. Circle strife.
Corrected.

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 11:23:18 pm »
Find yourself a copy of Doom and Quake, the original games. You don't need to play them through if you dont want to, just use them to get a hang of the controls (make sure that you set the controls to the standard of WASD that's used today).

I didn't play much FPS games until people at my old school started playing Quake tournaments in the computer room.

Replace 'Quake' with 'Unreal Tournament', and you pretty much have my advice.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 12:21:47 am »

Replace 'Quake' with 'Unreal Tournament', and you pretty much have my advice.

Start with some singleplayer classics: System Shock, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, No One Lives Forever, Half Life.

Then move onto something multiplayer, try to find a server that isn't full of idiots (good luck with that): Counter-Strike: Source, Battlefield <whatever version you prefer>, and that free wolfenstein multiplayer thingy that I can't remember the name of but was pretty fun back in the day.

Personally I don't care for the majority of the multiplayer first person shooters, deathmatch is just so dull and most of the newer objective based ones are still pretty shallow imo.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 01:07:51 am »
I can play WoW.. I can play RTSs.. But I cant for the life of me figure out FPSs. I dont know if its because all the commands are different to what Im used to, or if its just because I suck.

My boyfriend makes people cry with his FPS skillz, and like hell Im going to let him get all the glory D:

Someone, for the love of god and all that is holy (no my anus isnt bleeding), tell me how to learn to play FPSs.. decently...

I'm going to go against all the advice here... Don't bother playing old games unless you just want to play them. Comparing Dues Ex to Soldier of Fortune 2, for example, is rediculous. I rocked socks in Soldier of Fortune 2, I would have been raped in any kind of multiplayer Dues Ex. I got through the game, but I wasn't nearly as good as I am at other games. They all have different feels, different components, objectives, playstyles, etc. Learn the game you want to learn.

First and foremost, you need to bind your controls comfortably. Make sure you have easy access to everything important. If you arn't use to using the mouse to look around, that's going to be your first most obvious hurdle. Before you can master the game, you're going to have to get coordinated. Play with the mouse sensitivity until you're comfortable. It may take a little patience and practice, i'd suggest doing it alone in a game.

Next you need to become familiar with all the options available to you and bind your keyboard accordingly. Some games have fantastic default bindings, other do not. One of the things you should consider doing is finding your popular weapon choices and binding them specifically to something you can hit easily. If you're playing Soldier of Fortune 2, for example, I keep my sidearm and machine-gun bound to seperate keys. Why? Because if I run out of ammo with my primary weapon, I can switch to my side arm and vice versa without having to scroll through grandes, knives, or in the heat of battle accidently scrolling past what I need. (SUBTLE TIP: In realistic first person shooters, such as Rainbow Six and Soldier of Fortune 2, reloading is DEATH. Pull out your pistol instead of reloading if you are in open combat and cannot take cover. This is probably one of the biggest mistakes I see, I dont care how much you jump - if you're reloading and I'm not, I WIN.)

Now you need to get comfortable with all your keybinds and your mouse. This is pretty much the biggest factor in how you perform on your own, strategy and tactics aside.

Even if you master this, someone that knows the game is still going to beat you though. Without knowing what game youre playing, I cant offer you and straight up advice. But knowing the game above all is important once you want to really start kicking ass. In Soldier of Fortune 2, again as an example, I had to learn my maps above all. I needed to know where people could and could not get in x amount of time once the map started. This prepared me for common encounters and I could have a grenade sitting there before I could even see there, and often get rediculous free frags because of common mistakes. Don't be predictable, or you'll be eating those grenades (or what have you). In SoF2, I learned that SOUND was key. This is true in most FPS games. In Quake, if I heard someone get certain items (armor for example) I would instantly know where you were. More times than not they'd then grab ammo or something simular and I'd even know which way they were going. Sometimes it's better to just not make noise. In games with running/walking this is especially true. Run into a room making all kinda noise and you're going to get shot. Be sneaky if the game calls for it.

Theres about a billion other peices of advice, all depending on what youre playing, that myself and others could give you. But you'll learn it all with practice. Nothing will change you overnight, but getting your controls setup and becoming familiar with them and then learning the important aspects of your game will make a rather quick improvement. Especially if you're running around with unfamiliar defaults and just trying to shoot at shit. =)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 01:12:51 am »
Play FEAR. Start on the easiest difficulty and work your way up. It's got very good indoor combat and a handy slow-mo button for when you get in tight spots.

When you become elite, you'll be able to do Extreme difficulty without slow-mo (it's not as hard as it sounds). It's really just a matter of understanding how the game works.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 01:15:20 am »
Play FEAR. Start on the easiest difficulty and work your way up. It's got very good indoor combat and a handy slow-mo button for when you get in tight spots.

When you become elite, you'll be able to do Extreme difficulty without slow-mo (it's not as hard as it sounds). It's really just a matter of understanding how the game works.

Slow-mo does not do any favours at all, it doesn't improve reactions at all and can also make you lazier than anything. Learn to rambo with accuracy, best way
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner