Author Topic: facebook  (Read 3912 times)

Offline a sad cow

• this really grows on you
facebook
« on: September 08, 2006, 02:20:14 am »
EDITED FOR CLARITY:

if you know what i'm talking about, you probably hate it. if you don't hate it and have an account, check this out

http://usma.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2208483432

questions, comments, snide remarks?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 05:10:29 am by a sad cow »
a sad cow = 'all singing all dancing crap of the world'

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: facebook
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:26:51 am »
Yes.

The log in page was rather simple. I would have preferred a cooler design, and also, I would prefer not to have to create an account to see the page.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 02:40:46 am »
Social networks = enemy.....wait a minute
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 03:10:45 am »
Yes.

The log in page was rather simple. I would have preferred a cooler design, and also, I would prefer not to have to create an account to see the page.

if you have specific changes, i can admin you. my coding skillz are in making things work, not pretty.

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 04:15:16 am »
umm... I do believe you linked to something that you need to log into to view, and he didn't have a sn, thus making the link pointless, was the idea torp was getting across.

also Facebook=suck.
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 05:14:03 am »
umm... I do believe you linked to something that you need to log into to view, and he didn't have a sn, thus making the link pointless, was the idea torp was getting across.

also Facebook=suck.

fixed.

while there is a substantial portion of the facebook population i would not want to associate with, i do believe the facebook architecture is an effective forum for keeping in touch with people. this has become very important to me lately as one of my friends passed away. if i would've been in touch with my friends so far away, i might've been able to see him in the hospital before he died. extreme case i know, but it still hurts.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 06:40:38 am »
pretty sure you didn't and can't fix anything... still have to log in to view it and that will always be true.

I, however, have joined.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:47:22 am »
pretty sure you didn't and can't fix anything... still have to log in to view it and that will always be true.

I, however, have joined.

thank you. i'm not editing my "fixed" post to mean that i fixed my description and not the link.

if any of you have any ideas on making this little group page more interesting/appealing, let me know. i figure this is the most effective means i have for spreading the word about the band. i only wish i had artistic talents.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 01:15:47 pm »
I have one question thou. What is "facebook"?
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 01:46:22 pm »

it is a network of profiles which allows you to keep track of your friends. rather than a real forum, everyone has their own "wall" which is sort of your personal thread. you can also join interest groups, each of which can sustain a forum within itself. most people don't take advantage of these, but some do. if an interest group is lacking, you can create your own, which is what i did. creating groups is cool because if you do it right, you can showcase all the people that care about a different issue, band, or whatever the fuck. i don't want to take over the forum, but i do think that if people join the group, it would help get the word out via all the "related group" links on the side when people go browsing for stuff. if any of you are into politics at all, there are several groups who congregate on facebook.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 01:53:52 pm »
I'm reading the comics on your website sad cow, i'm liking them :D
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 02:10:56 pm »

How to make a facebook:
1) Take one book, open it and put it on a table
2) Slam face into book very hard
3) Repeat step 2) as many times as necessary
4) When the outline of your face is traced in blood and bits of bone in the book, congratulations! You have your very own facebook!
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 02:18:56 pm »
I'd like to comment that Slippy was right. The design on the login page isn't bad, it is probably not something you can change anyway, and therefore something I had to comment, just because I felt like it.

Having something like that to keep in touch with friends once they spread out is a good idea. I know of people who have created their very own forums just for their group of friends, and then there's livejournals and stuff, so I don't know how much need there is for another thing like it. On the other hand, more options = good.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 07:03:54 pm »

How to make a facebook:
1) Take one book, open it and put it on a table
2) Slam face into book very hard
3) Repeat step 2) as many times as necessary
4) When the outline of your face is traced in blood and bits of bone in the book, congratulations! You have your very own facebook!
I thought it was that you have to skin your face and make book covers out of them. Duh. Your method seems more easier. At least it has something to do with this forum, there's good amount of headbanging there. What it would be in finnish? "Kasvokirja"? Or perhaps "Lärvikirja"? Harharharharhar... (note : lärvi is finnish slangword meaning both "face" or "getting drunk" like in expression "vetää lärvit" - "draw faces" would be litteral translation but it translates "get drunk").

it is a network of profiles which allows you to keep track of your friends. rather than a real forum, everyone has their own "wall" which is sort of your personal thread. you can also join interest groups, each of which can sustain a forum within itself. most people don't take advantage of these, but some do. if an interest group is lacking, you can create your own, which is what i did. creating groups is cool because if you do it right, you can showcase all the people that care about a different issue, band, or whatever the fuck. i don't want to take over the forum, but i do think that if people join the group, it would help get the word out via all the "related group" links on the side when people go browsing for stuff. if any of you are into politics at all, there are several groups who congregate on facebook.
It seems like a good consept. And interesting too. I fear that I've not enough time for that thou. It might be interesting on the other hand. Decisions decisions... Good thing is that I don't have to do that decision now. Anyways, thanks for the information about this facebook. I learned something new again today, thanks to you.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline daYak

• 90% herbivore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 07:35:14 pm »

I know a sad cow already answered this question for you. but let me put in a much simpler answer.

it's another crap like friendster, myspace, hi5, or whatever you name it. i hate all these crap, but for the sake of networking and keeping in touch with my kindergarten mates, i have myspace and friendster.

actually i didnt even wanna bother having 2 of these crap, but for some reason most of my hometown friends have friendster and they dont even know what the fuck myspace is. and the non-asian friends say that "friendster sux, myspace ftw".