Author Topic: Band Motivation  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Band Motivation
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:07:15 am »
Heya,

I wanted to talk abit about the motivation of a band and how it slips away after a while, and how you can keep the band focussed and energetic to rehearse and to keep doing the stuff you used to do.

Lately i've been feeling im the only one left in my band that really does something when it comes down to it.

Although i'm the frontman, i write the songs, i write the lyrics, i book the gigs...

It doesn't mean the other ones can hang back and just let it all happen, i would really like to see them actually doing stuff too, so i can be a true group of people making the music.

Is that a common problem ?

If someone of Machinae is reading this, did you guys ever had problems staying focussed and motivated ?

Offline amj

Re: Band Motivation
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:22:37 am »
I sympathise with you. However in my instance, I'm usually the one doing shit-all. It depends on the band itself and it's down to the individual members to find motivation. I find that after a good practice I'm well into it but then when we argue I can feel like I don't wanna bother with music anymore.

I don't know where I'm going with this but yeah, it happens to other people. It all comes down to how much you want it. Although in some ways it's easier with 1 person writing everything.

Lysix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:12:23 pm »
Offer them cookies?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:32:07 pm »
* Radicz0r whacks Lysix with a carrot

MY thread damnit !

Lysix

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:13 am »
* Radicz0r whacks Lysix with a carrot

MY thread damnit !

I was being serious ):

Offline Gordon

• Band Member
  • Tack som FAAAN! =)
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:44:07 am »
Heya,

I wanted to talk abit about the motivation of a band and how it slips away after a while, and how you can keep the band focussed and energetic to rehearse and to keep doing the stuff you used to do.

Lately i've been feeling im the only one left in my band that really does something when it comes down to it.

Although i'm the frontman, i write the songs, i write the lyrics, i book the gigs...

It doesn't mean the other ones can hang back and just let it all happen, i would really like to see them actually doing stuff too, so i can be a true group of people making the music.

Is that a common problem ?

If someone of Machinae is reading this, did you guys ever had problems staying focussed and motivated ?

Of course we've had some problems along the way. I think big thing is to make eveyone feel that they're involved in the band. This doesn't mean that everyone has to write the songs, but you have to discuss things and decide things as a group.... else you're just a one man band. We've had trouble making everyone feeling involved in the decision making and other stuff. Hopefully it's better now.  :)

This is only one thing that can be a motivation sucker.... I bet there are a lot more.

"Det är Arvids tur att sitta i lådan."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 08:27:04 pm »
thanks for the reply, and yeah, i'm having a shitload of troubles with the band now, but i'll sort it out i guess..

I got asked by another band yesterday, so i guess ill just go with the flow.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 10:28:48 am »
I found that as long as you were good mates and could have a laugh together aswell as get some work done, then it does not become a problem unless pissing about is taken to extremes and you hurt someone....damn drop kicks
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

the ru

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 12:00:45 pm »
We are resuming rehearsals (after a 2 month break) with my band today, including a new member (he isn't permanent yet, of course, we'll have to see that everything works out before he can be). It will be very interesting to see how it turns out.  :o

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 09:13:20 pm »
I found that as long as you were good mates and could have a laugh together aswell as get some work done, then it does not become a problem unless pissing about is taken to extremes and you hurt someone....damn drop kicks
Well, of course, you need to be mates, else shit will turn sour really quickly.

But on the other hand it can really break or strenghten a friendship, because you're constantly busy with eachother and making compromises..

that's why it's so fucking important to get people who actually want the same shit as you do.