Author Topic: Sci-Fi/Space Gaming Recommendations  (Read 16039 times)

Ankle

Re: Sci-Fi/Space Gaming Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 09:38:36 pm »
According to amazon I won't have the game until next month. Bleh.

I've seen all the reviews and much user comments. Apparently it has great combat but the voice acting is awful and the story bad. Trade is dull and not worth bothering with and after 10 hours you get bored of doing the same thing over and over. So it sounds onpar with every other remotely recent space sim. At least the reviews are more positive than X3.  :P

Ankle

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 08:16:05 am »
Yay it shipped yesterday, and the joystick today. Hopefully it arrives within a week. NEED SPACE STUFFS OMG NOW!

Ankle

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2006, 10:33:34 am »
Bah, Darkstar One 'supports' 1680x1050 but it just crashes to desktop. Known issue and the developers have no ETA for a fix as it isn't a major issue for them.

Fuck that shit.

Offline Atolm

• <Insert HaXx0rz here>
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 04:34:01 am »
hmm, I have X2 here...I bought it ages ago in one of those '2 for £15' deals, and just never got around to playing it...should I continue not playing it?
as for darkstar one, ive heard thats going to be awesome. shame its not working p0rperly :(. I think the upcoming Phantasy star game is going to have a little bit of space stuffs in it, not sure though, i havent checked the site in some time.
-1 karma? what did I do wrong? ;_;

the ru

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 10:04:14 am »
Deadlock, very underrated game. It will provide a few hours of fun, until you discover the strategy to use to win the game... every time. :-\

chompy

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 12:11:37 pm »
I've got Galatic Civ 2 on its way , so I'm expecting some MoO2 action in the mean time. I didnt realise there were a genre dedicated to these types of games, it is called 4x . 4x games include MoO2, Civ2,3,4,1 ... there was even a 5x game called MoO3, the extra 1x means experiance.

4X stands for the goals of :

1. eXplore
   2. eXpand
   3. eXploit
   4. eXterminate

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 12:44:10 pm »
sword of the stars

Ankle

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:21 am »
So I'm stuck in 1600x900 but I doubt it will be patched before I tire of it. The voice acting is, well, bad. Even worse is the translation to English from German. Every single line is horribley broken and makes one cringe. The plot is as cliche as possible and completely and utterly uninteresting with zero surprises. It is pretty much impossible to die as the AI is rather dense, just keep spinning around in space shooting and maybe occasionaly transfering shield or energy and you are unstoppable. There is pretty much nill exploring to do as each system is basically the same and really small: Some planet, some asteroids or a wreck with a trade station and research station. The same few backgrounds and other graphics are repeated over and over and over really blowing any chance at immersion.

It is basically like Freelancer but with crappy story and plot but slightly better graphics and no stupid lanes of travel and no exploring. Better or worse than X3? If you like trading or empire building, worse. Otherwise its probably on par in the disapointing factor. At least it doesn't have Starforce.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 12:09:44 am »
Deadlock, very underrated game. It will provide a few hours of fun, until you discover the strategy to use to win the game... every time. Undecided
Deadlock sucks ass
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

the ru

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 08:20:09 am »
Deadlock, very underrated game. It will provide a few hours of fun, until you discover the strategy to use to win the game... every time. Undecided
Deadlock sucks ass

You're only saying that because you lose every time. 8)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »
I'm only saying that because it's 1000 years old and boring as sin.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline bolda

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2006, 07:02:49 pm »
I share everyone's frustration with the lack of decent space sims in recent times - there's obviously a huge demand for a quality product out there! From my experience:

- X2:The Threat - decent at first but got boring quite quickly. Laughable cut-scenes for the backgroud story, but very nice in-game graphics if you have a PC up to the job. Also, very atmospheric music which helps. Haven't tried X3 yet, due to the poor reviews and technical issues

- Freelancer - probably the best of the recent space sims that I've played - certainly the one I've spent the most time on. Has an unusual mouse flight control system but very useable once you get used to it.

- Starlancer - inferior to Freelancer IMHO and gave up on it after not much play.

- Tachyon:The Fringe - another half-decent attempt but I just couldn't get into it as much as I'd have liked. Gameplay is not as open-ended as I'd like.

IMHO nothing has surpassed good old "Frontier:Elite 2" in terms of an open ended space sim. Completely open-ended game play, no background story to get in the way, realistically modelled universe, flexible space flight model (no jump gates/lanes like X2 and Freelancer), freedom to fly around planet surfaces and visit surface locations as well as off-world locations, lots of craft/upgrades, lots of different roles/tasks to take on. It's just a pity the combat is not as enjoyable as the original Elite.

So, if you value gameplay over fancy graphics, I'd recommend downloading Frontier and getting it running under DOS-box... just don't bother with "Frontier:First Encounters" as it's bugged to hell!

the ru

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 10:38:13 pm »
I'm only saying that because it's 1000 years old and boring as sin.

Actually, it's just ten years old. Those extra 0s are probably your final score. >:(

And sin isn't boring, if it was, no one could commit it.

Smeagol

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2006, 11:06:58 pm »
Sin is boring. It's not like it matters how you've lived, everyone dies, and ends up as a decomposing sack of flesh. Happens to the popes, happens to serial killers.

Ankle

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 08:23:50 am »
Ugh, most annoying part of Darkstar One combat is the physics or lack of. Very arcadey. I can't just cut power to engines and fire thrusters to spin around and blast everything going sideways or whatever with my intertia. Very annoying. IIRC Freelancer was the same way and X3 is somewhere in between.