Author Topic: Sci-Fi/Space Gaming Recommendations  (Read 16041 times)

Ankle

Re: Sci-Fi/Space Gaming Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 08:34:31 pm »
If you have lots of time, and don't demand fast-paced action, I can warmly recommend the X series. I played X2 for a while, and recently picked up X3, but haven't played it yet.

X3 was a huge waste of money for me, I thought it was horrible. Even with the latest patch there was nothing but problems. Not to mention starforce, I was desperate for a spacesim and bought it anyway. Huge mistake, DVD-ROM died shortly after. Thanks a lot Starforce!

Offline Smogelore

• Too Drunk To FSCK
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 11:04:48 am »
I-War: Edge Of Chaos!  :)

my joystick sucks so it was very difficult to play  :P
HAY!!! who stole my avatar... again...

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 08:53:48 pm »
Freelancer is quite good... (though I liked X2 and X3 better) just can't get the damn thing to work on my compy any more, for some ungodly reason.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 10:13:53 pm »
Maybe because X3 sucks power out of your PC like Cartman sucks Sea-Men out of a hose? I run it on high settings on a two years-old (not upgraded) PC, though.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Ankle

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 11:50:49 pm »
Aside from the game being horribly broken and unstable the voices didn't work in X3, doesn't even do real widescreen as it just stretches the 4:3 picture to 16:10. Ugh. All that after requiring me to waste my time and bandwidth on a huge patch after spending money on a broken piece of software. Let us not forget what is one of the worst GUIs ever and the complete and utter lack of any sort of tutorial or instructions of any kind. All the bad reviews and moaning/bitching on the egosoft boards are rightfully deserved.

Hardware isn't a problem: *copy paste happy fun time, kawaii ^_^*

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (2.0) /w stock HS/F
eVGA GeForce 7900 GT CO (500/1500, 256mb) /w Zalman VF900 HS/F
OCZ EL PC-3200 Platinum 1Gb (Dual Channel 2x512Mb, DDR400, CL2-3-2-5)
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 8MB 120GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2 16MB NCQ 320GB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - 6.1
US Robotics 5610B 56k V.92 Performance Pro
Pioneer DVR-111D - DVD-RW 16x/6x/16x DVD+RW 16x/8x/16x IDE DVD-/+RW <-- Replacement drive for the one StarForce killed, fucking pos starforce wasting my money
Lite-On  LTR-52327S - 52x/24x/52x IDE CD-RW
Seasonic S12-500HT 500W PSU
Lian Li PC-V1100B Plus
Gateway FPD2185W 21" LCD
Logitech Z-680 5.1 500W THX
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:55:17 pm by Ankle »

Lexx

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 03:50:31 am »
Yes. You have a huge penis. Well done.

(No, I didn't read it.)

Offline MMM_Donola

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 03:50:39 am »
Freelancer i thought was excellent, and theres a lot of good Multiplayer mods/servers out there too, shame the action can get a little tiresome at times.
Not dead, just the worlds worst lurker.

Its all fun and games until somebody gets a FAIL!

Maelin, Undead 'lock, Emerald Dream EU
Perry_Cox_MD : Some Steam games, COD4, Gears of War, UT3, Kongregate
pcg_donola/pcg_dono : Other Steam games, various others
AD_Dono : Warcraft 3 TFT

Ankle

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 10:52:50 pm »
Yes. You have a huge penis. Well done.

(No, I didn't read it.)

I'm just a PC gamer. I regularly update my systems with relatively highish end gear. However, it is hardly the epitome of ePenis. That would be like Quad SLI with 2x 7950GX2s, Quad core with 2x dual core woodcrest xeons, 2gb+ of ddr2, 1000watt PSU and if you live where they use coal power or something dirty that nice feeling that all the power your PC sucks up is helping to destroy the enviroment while certifing your superiority over other users thanks to your giant 3dmark score.

Now back to the topic, picking up DarkStar One and Freespace 1 but I need a new joystick. My current old one I haven't used in years is a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro that came with Mech Warrior 2 way way back in the day. In otherwords, its very old and makes lots of noise when moved and is completely inaccurate from much usage. I've looked at whats out there but MS doesn't make sidewinders anymore and Logitech's three are rather horrible and all around trash from my experiance. I've seen the Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick has lots of good reviews and generally is considered to trump the Logitech joysticks. Anyone have an opinion on it or perhaps knows of some other options?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:58:45 pm by Ankle »

chompy

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 03:01:21 pm »
My home computer feels dirty compared to yours, but I have more hard drives and space.

I've had a 50 AUD logicrap joystick, 3D Wingman. I had that thing for about 5 years and got more then its money worth so it wasnt too bad in retrospect. Every 6 months the joystick would become very grainy and had to be cleaned from the black grindy stuff it had in it. The throttle also died on it so I couldnt use it in the end. I now safely say I would not purchase one in the near future.

I"m currently using a HOTAS (Hands On Throttle and Stick) combination made from the guys at CH Products (linky : http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html ). These are very high end type of anal simulators people use, much like the herman miller range of chairs. Not saying its only limited to anal people :/ Also I got them for winning a flight competition using the 3D wingman above :)

The saiteck HOTAS combination seems like it is the way to go, but I dont think you could go wrong in any joystick (even the logitech ones)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 06:32:36 pm »
hese are very high end type of anal simulators
asdhasdh? I want an anal simulator
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 08:11:52 pm »
Anyone remembers Tachyon: The Fringe? Also a good space game, even more enjoyable thanks to Bruce Campbells voice acting.

Ankle

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 11:04:34 pm »
I"m currently using a HOTAS (Hands On Throttle and Stick) combination made from the guys at CH Products (linky : http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html ). These are very high end type of anal simulators people use, much like the herman miller range of chairs. Not saying its only limited to anal people :/ Also I got them for winning a flight competition using the 3D wingman above :)

The saiteck HOTAS combination seems like it is the way to go, but I dont think you could go wrong in any joystick (even the logitech ones)

Ohhh something to match my Herman Miller Mirra and future Biomorph desk! (Bah @ site in flash, evil)

chompy

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 02:20:24 pm »
Go with the saitek one, it'll do good and it wont cost an arm or a leg. Make sure you post a small review once you do get it.

I've got a Leather Herman Miller - Equa 2 chair and its heaven,  I got it at an auction for 130 AUD :)

Offline Фраеон

• Je zuigt lul
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 05:33:49 pm »
You can also tell me what Darkstar One is like before I invest on it.

I liked the demo, but...those things tend to be a bit misleading.
A universe where there was no War of Independence because British colonial policy was more enlightened. An American Civil War after which Lincoln wasn't assassinated. A Second World War in which Hitler was. Or where the whole planet was invaded by, I don't know, space lizards or something.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 06:23:26 pm »
Haven't played the game, but PCGamer gave it a review score of 43%, so my bet is on not so good.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."