Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 9655 times)

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2006, 12:37:04 am »
I don't really like the D20 system. There are so many better systems for fantasy role playing, such as Eon (Swedish), which, among other things, replaces the boring HP with cool stuff such as Damage Levels, Trauma Values and Death Rolls.
The idea of a set number of spells per day seems strange to me, too. I much more prefer systems that use physical drain to fuel spells, such as Shadowrun.

Despite the fact that I dislike the system, I play a lot of Star Wars D20. I think D20 is way better in it's Star Wars adapted version.

When I do play DnD, I usually play multiclass characters with some fighting class such as monk, fighter or barbarianwith sorcerer, the fighting classes most often being the main class.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2007, 07:02:34 pm »
*Resurrection spell level 5 etc.*

when Caranfin finishes this system, i'd like to hear from him, for sure
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 07:26:41 pm »
my friends and I have been playing D&D since we were 12.
i'm going to be 21 soon.

we only ever played 1 or 2 sessions of D20 an decided we didn't like it.
we've slowly developed and perfected our own system over the years.

it's mostly a "judge on the spot" system.

one of our iterations lasted 5 years.  We called it "Soul DND"

One that we play on occasion now (we're all split up now because of university) is called "God DND"
we are avatars of gods.  There are 8 different ones, all in their own domains.
within that domain, you can create -any- skill you want depending on how many "skill slots" you have (you gain 1 per level).  The player chooses every detail about the skill, then the DM assigns how much MP it will cost.   This makes it easy to stop players from creating uber skills, since if they make it too strong the DM can make it cost hundreds or thousands of MP and so the player won't even be able to cast it at their current level.
it's a huge power trip of a DND, and whoever DMs usualy tries to aim to kill the players, since the players can haul a skill out of the blue and really trump the DMs monsters/rivals.

It's very easy to DM and very easy to introduce new players to.

my favourite character was an avatar of the God of Nature.
He was a humanoid bird with a body entwined in roots.
he used a chinese sword (like Xianghua from soul calibur) and I made him learn abilities to enhance the entire party.

it has a lot of freedom in creativity.. encourages creativity like crazy.

we don't use a grid system, but just go by memory and honor system... generally if we seem someone isn't being "honorable" in where he/she was last, we'll repremand him/her... but it doesn't happen often.
taking out the grid system makes for very fast paced battles...

anyway, yeah.
bam.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:29:12 pm by Sirix »

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2007, 12:54:14 am »
I recently played the Swedish created RPG "Western" with some friends. The rule system is very interesting, especially the way hits are handled. You have a crosshair template that you place on another template shaped as your target (dude, dude on horse and so on). The higher your to hit roll, the closer to the middle you hit. This makes for very realistic gunfights, and makes it much easier to calculate collateral damage, since you know exactly where all stray bullets end up.
It is, like all Swedish RPGs, not entirely thought through in places. For example, the max range to throw a dynamite stick is 60 meters. If you follow the to hit rules by the letter, it is possible to miss your mark with as much as 50 meters, meaning if you aim ten meters in front of you, your stick may very well end up behind you or on the other side of a house.

I also like the wild west setting, since everybody knows what it is. You dont need to explain how the elves are in this fantasy world or how proto-laser propulsion is the most important aspect of your sci fi universe.
You just say "We're playing in the wild west" and then everybody knows what to expect. One other thing is that it's easier to get a collective vision of things if you have a good foundation to work from.
Did I mention that the gunslinger is probably the coolest thing that will ever be invented in the US?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2007, 04:20:03 pm »
I'm no fan of the D&D system either, though with a good GM, any system can work. I had some fun in the army, playing D&D, with Talhoffer, actually.

I currently play in two rpg groups, and I'm joining a third this week. There's one game of Exalted, which I find very enjoyable. It's the best campaign I've played in, for sure. It helps that I have a well fleshed out character who catches my interest, and tend to get good amounts of screen time (She can be found here, if anyone felt curious). It's not very combat-oriented, at least not in the physical sense (social combat rules!), and so it really does focus on the roleplaying aspect of RPGing. Last session mostly consisted of me and the two other players showing up having a discussion with a NPC controlled by the GMs visiting friend. Not a single blow was struck, though we did go into social combat (and I got yet another 3 dice stunt, for those who know the system - that is, by the way, a great thing with the system - it awards cool descriptions of actions, so that actually playing out your argument nets you a bonus in convincing opponents that you're right).

The other one is an Ars Magica game, affectionately known as "Fredagsspising" (spising = eating, spilling = gaming). We don't always end up gaming there, but we always have a very good meal. I love that group.

The last group, which I'm about to join, is a RuneQuest game. I don't know how that will turn out, but I suspect it will be fun.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2007, 07:49:10 pm »
I'm not a big fan of the Exalted (and thus WW) rules, mostly due to very imbalanced attributes. In combat, it's basically a matter of who has the highest Dexterity (or whatever it's called). All other attributes used in combat are vastly inferior. I created a character for a rather combat oriented campaign whose best attribute was Fortitude (or stammina or whatever). Needless to say, I got my arse kicked bigtime, due to the enemy's slightly higher Dex (both my Strength and Fort attributes were much higher).
Needless to say, that sucked bigtime.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2007, 08:02:15 pm »
Yeah, but Dex is only that important if the game focuses on combat. A good RPG does not focus on combat. Combat can be fun, but the other aspects are generally more so, at least if the GM is any good.

Plus, my GM has realised the importance of Dex in combat, and has therefore increased the XP cost of it. In our campaign, Dex costs 1,5 times as much as other attributes to raise (and because we started with a point-buy system rather than the normal WW character creation system, this also affected character creation).

Also, in Exalted, your Dex wouldn't count as much as in other WW games, because it won't be contributing as much to your dicepool.

I'm not saying Storyteller is the best system out there, it's not. But it's way better than D20. And if D20 can be made fun by a good GM (thumbs up for Tal), then Storyteller-system-based games most definitely can. And Exalted have a couple of very nice mechanics that I'd like to see in other games - among them the stunt bonus - a mechanical bonus for describing your actions.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

Offline Trias

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 12:21:09 am »
care to elaborate how that works in detail?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2007, 01:22:00 am »
Sure. You describe your action, and the storyteller applies a "stunt bonus" of between 1 and 3 dice, depending on how evocative and "cool" your description was). In combat, the guidelines state that a 1 die stunt requires a good description of the action. A 2 dice stunt should incorporate interaction with the environment, which for the sake of the game includes "extras" (characters of little to no importance, like basic enemy soldiers). 3 dice stunts, in all incarnations, can be summed up in a single sentence: If there's any doubt whether or not it's a 3 dice stunt, it's not. They're singular acts of greatness, really evocative actions. If it was a combat move, and you'd put it into a movie, it would rival the coolness factor of the best scenes in any action-oriented anime, or the Matrix or whatever (Exalted is heavily influenced by anime and that kind of stuff, so anime-like actions are the norm).

In addition to adding dice, a stunt will also allow you to do actions that would normally be considered impossible, and do minor scene editing (like adding a chandelier to the room you're in so you can swing over to the Big Bad Evil Guy in a fancy pirate-y move skewering him on your sword). A successful stunt also makes the character who stunted regain a bit of Essence (magic power which all Exalted have), a point of Willpower (2 dice stunts will give the character 1 point of WP or 4 Essence, 1 die stunts will only give 2 points of Essence), or in the case of 3 dice stunts, give them a point of XP.

Examples...sure, I'll give a couple.

1-die:
"I stab forward with my spear, catching a soldier right in the chest, rip it out of him and swing it around in a semicircle, cutting the throat of another soldier"

"As the sword comes down towards me, disarmed and unarmoured, I clasp my hands above my head, praying to the gods that I'll be able to catch the sword between my palms" - defensive stunt, and would allow you to use your parry instead of your dodge despite being without weapons to parry with.

2-dice:
"I can almost feel my pursuers breath upon my neck as I twist around a corner into a small alley, jumping against one wall and then another to gain leverage, turning in midair. While he might suspect some trickery, he is not prepared for the three daggers flying down towards him from above." - creates an alley for the character to run into. In Exalted, wall-jumping is no problem even without a stunt.

3-dice:
"As he stands there, back towards me, I grab a hold of the rope holding the chandelier up, and cut the rope with a swipe from my sword. I'm jerked from the ground, thrown upwards and forwards. The flight leads me towards the Dragon-blooded*, and as the chandelier crashes down onto his soldiers, he turns. I catch a glimmer of surprise in his eyes as he sees me descending upon him like a Fury from the legends, sword like a vicious talon rending into his flesh."

*Dragon-blooded are a sort of Exalt in Exalted.

Had I had acopy of the Matrix or something lying around, I'd use some of Neos tricks in that movie to exemplify the different levels of stunts.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:26:06 am by Torp »

Lysix

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2007, 02:09:04 am »
wow, this is pure concentrated nerd speak!
QUICK, SOMEONE FIND ME A JAR!  [:

D&D has temped me once in a while, but i always got put off with the mass of text and numbers you gotta keep a track of :(

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2007, 02:13:57 am »
Yes. What did you expect in a thread with the subject this one has? Non-geek-ness? :P

Lysix

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2007, 02:33:06 am »
Very true. :P
That D&D MMO, is that any good? I mean, in relation to the text based stuff?

Offline Trias

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2007, 10:40:44 am »
thanks, Torp, for the explanation.

Don't know if I'd like that kind of game. Doesn't that lead to constant super-hero action? What if you want to play a character that's not very dexterous, but rather the intelligent dorky kind of guy?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2007, 12:39:57 pm »
Well, any action that requires a dice roll, from normal to social combat to perception rolls and research, can be stunted. I merely chose to exemplify combat because that's the easiest part to make up evocative descriptions on the spot. One of our characters more or less suck in combat*, but he's a smart guy and can do some neat stuff outside of it.

In Exalted, all player characters are "superheroes", though. The concept of the game is that the PCs were heroic mortals who got chosen by one of the celestial gods and infused with power and near-immortality. Each character is a demigod and an expert in his field (the character who is not very good at combat is an expert in knowledge and occult, and know sorcery (which is pretty useless in normal combat due to the long casting time)).

*For an exalted, at least. He's still able to beat non-supernaturals easily, I would suspect.

Offline Trias

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2007, 01:53:27 pm »
ah, I see. :)

Part of my discomfort is probably that I, too, feel not geeky enough to give such deliberately 'cool' descriptions all the time... well, haven't tried it, maybe it's fun.

I mean I've always been interested in RPGs, including great atmosphere and story, but never really got into hardcore roleplaying in the literal sense, I think.

EDIT: Or let's phrase it this way: I like my character to act in a atmospheric way, but it still feels awkward to describe it...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:56:39 pm by Trias »