Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 9673 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 10:04:02 pm »
What a waste of time.

Quote from: Stats
Time Spent Online: 13d 2h 27m

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 10:06:59 pm »
That implies the time is spent solely on the forums. But thanks to multitasking, you can do other things while browsing machinae forums. Like doing stuff.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 10:17:41 pm »
but the forums are pretty good at knowing when you're not doing anything. you can't just leave a window open and rack up teh minutes.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 10:35:43 pm »
You just have to do something every ten minutes = instant forum time win.

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 10:39:49 pm »
You just have to do something every ten minutes = instant forum time win.

Which makes me notice that my online time has just passed 8 days without me noticing before now.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 10:54:24 pm »
Guys.. wer'e drifting OT here....
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Asor

• There is something in the darkness... lurking
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 11:31:22 pm »
Guys.. wer'e drifting OT here....
Holy macaroni, batman! I sense large quantities of off-topicness in the MaSu forums!

But yes, anyways I think(just fooling ya, I know im gonna) im gonna be a sorcerer. Sorcerers are teh cool, even tho they dont get as many spells as wizards but casting spells when ye wanna is teh hawt.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.

<Stormy-> oh god, I need boxers which has a print "Violator" on it
<@Asor> altho I think more fitting would be "Through the Looking Glass", amirite?

Offline -File_not_Found-

• A true patriot, fighting the tyranny in America
    • My Conspiracy Blog site
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2006, 12:10:00 am »
Asor, you better invest your earlier level spells in sleep and color sprays....color spray is teh godxorrr!
Fight the New World Order, we will prevail!

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2006, 01:09:48 am »
Best low level spell.. Sleep.

Why?  Three little words "Coupe de grace"

at low levels even if they somehow manage to make the save, the HP damage usually does him in.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 01:20:57 am »
best low level spell?
Wall Of Thought.

Its a wall of force, for a level 2 caster.

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2006, 02:23:19 am »
Don't forget the "Buff spells" too.. the key to gaining power as a MU (Magic user) is to survive th eearly levels.. :)
Hellen Kieller

Lexx β

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 06:48:14 am »
Where is the mountain dew?
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 01:31:03 pm »
I've played pen&paper RPGs since I was eleven or so, that's about five years. It started when my father gave me the MERP (Middle-Earth Role Playing game) rulebook as a christmas present, I got a few of my friends interested quite fast. After that I've played first Rolemaster and then D&D, also a bit of Traveller, with a lot of gropus, all of the time as a DM, except in D&D. In the later games of Rolemaster I had ditched quite a lot of the critical tables and other stuff and D&D felt like a very good system. Of course, I never DMed a D&D campaign so I really don't know how it is from the DM's point of view.

A while ago I started creating my own rules since I got bored with hitpoints. Sure, the fighting in D&D can be very interesting and detailed if the DM knows his stuff but, especially when everyone is tired or the DM isn't very experienced, it easily reverts to the point where the fights are something like this:

DM:"Ok, so there's an orc, right? He's got a large sword and he's coming at you. What do you do?"
Player:"Umm... I guess I'll hit him with my sword." *rolls dice*
DM:"Right." *mumbling about hitpoints, making a few notes on a paper* "'kay, then he hits you with his sword." *rolls dice*
and so forth...

Well, you get my point. That's just two people whacking each other with swords until one of them gets enough wounds to go unconscious or die. I thought that was stupid, who the hell is able to continue fighting after someone has landed a good blow on them with something quite large, heavy, sharp, and possibly spiky? Come to think of it, who the hell continues fighting after someone has stabbed them with an ordinary dagger?

In my system the fighting is more focused on the point before the actual hit; if the target has time to react, if he blocks or dodges the attack, if he has time to counterattack, etc. And most importantly: How he does it. When someone actually gets a hit through the DM decides on the effects based on the attacker's and defender's rolls and the weapon and armour used.

Here's part of a fight from a campaign I'm DMing with my rules currently. The player is mainly an archer but has a bit of experience using a sword, wearing no armour. The enemy is a pure fighter with an one handed sword and a shield, wearing short chainmail.

DM:*rolls dice for reaction* "He comes at you shield up and sword raised, apparently going for a vertical swipe to the top of your head."
Player:"I dodge to his shield-hand side and kick his shield to try to get him out of balance."
DM:*rolls dice* "You dodge too early. He sees your movement, stops the swing and hits you with his shield before you get the chance kick. The cold, hard, metal of the shield comes right at your face, there's a blinding pain between your eyes and you feel your nose go "crack". You notice the blurred shape that is your enemy raising his sword to hit you diagonally from your left to your right."
Player:"I try to clear my head and try to hit his sword from left so that his swing misses me."

The fight continued like that for a while; the player stumbling backwards trying to clear his head and desperately blocking the enemy's attacks, then he caught his leg on a stone and fell on his back, dodged a swing by rolling on the ground and while rolling got a very lucky hit on the enemy's sword-hand's bicep. That got him enough time to get up and the wound was bad enough to make the enemy's fighting very painful. The player pushed the enemy backwards for a short time and finally managed to tackle the enemy down a cliff.

The rules are, of course, not perfect. And not nearly finished. I've yet to completely decide on the dice used to get a good balance between the skill of the characters and luck and other things, but we're testing them and the players are liking them very much. I've also in the process of creating a new fantasy world to play in. That will, however, take quite a while still since I feel like doing it properly.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2006, 01:56:53 pm »
That sounds liek an excellent view of combat in my opinion. Its how i see how it works and its how i like to think it works. Even in WoW i don't see hit points as health. i see it as like, endurence in a fight. When you run out of energy, you simply cannot block, dodge or do anything to stop soemone hitting/killing you.

Since this has generated alot of interest (which surpises me!) i was wondering if you could give any advice or tips for first time players of the v3.5 D&D ruleset?
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2006, 05:04:45 pm »
NOO TOXIC BOMB TRAP +5 !!

*farts*

" Dude  WHAT THE FYCJ"