Author Topic: Independent Record Store  (Read 3951 times)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
Independent Record Store
« on: October 27, 2003, 12:27:30 am »
Hey everyone...

I found a litte something that I felt would be prudent to ask you guys about....

There is still this unfathomable possibility that we won't get distribution for this album... In that case we have considered just trying to get some mail order company to sell the album....

I found one such possibility, called CD Baby... They sell independent music, and you can order from just about anywhere in the world, as far as I can tell from their site...

EDIT: http://www.cdbaby.com/

You get to chose the price of the album freely, no contracts are involved. CD Baby takes 4 usd per album, + a 35usd intro fee...

To me, this seems like a viable option, without doubt, should "real" distro fail.

EDIT: The only real disadvantage is that we'd have to send the CDs to the USA, and they ship from there ... + it won't go out in stores...

What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 12:33:46 am by robert »

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline CLU

• What's a Machinae? Can you eat it??
    • (CLU)'s Home Page
Re:Independent Record Store
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 12:33:51 am »
I'm of the mindset "Whatever works best for the band."  I'll find a way to buy and get the CD no matter how you have to distribute it.  (I imagine there are others who agree with me, but they can post here themselves and prove it.  :) )

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 01:52:21 am »
that is true but better exposure means more fans and more fans means better chances of a gig in Ireland ;)

but if all else fails then yeh, thats a good idea

Offline human error

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 06:44:43 am »
I say go with whatever gets you the most money.
I'd prefer buying direct if i knew most of my money was going straight to you guys instead of middle-men.

Offline Warskull

• R W A R
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 07:20:12 am »
I've used CDBaby before as a customer and I loved it.  They send the CDs in a timely fashion and generally just make sure you are treated well.  The bands have some control of the prices too if I recall (I know ctrl sell their CDs for 7.99USD and 8.99USD through CDBaby.)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 02:51:09 pm »
Hmmm... 7 $ per CD (mail expenses) seems pretty high... Good thing is that they accept international money orders. If it's only way to get your CD I use it, but I seriously hope that you would get more money from MY MONEY I pay for CD (not the postal services or firm selling your product).

But... Yeah. It's good that they accept international money orders :D
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 03:29:42 pm »
I think it's a viable alternative too.

Here's another idea (just an idea):

To keep shipping costs down, and to cut out the middle-man who always takes his share...

How about an idea like the band itself can sell your cds to buyers in your area, and perhaps you could have other people selling them in other countries where there's interest. Say if you shipped a box of cds to me here in the states (or to someone you know and trust). You would only pay a one-time box shipping fee to the states. And the person selling them here (and other countries) would only send them out at postal cost (perhaps $3 USD per cd); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES and then send the profits to you, the band.
You would know how many cds you sent, and the person distributing them can keep a record of who/what/where they sent the cds. You could name your price per cd, so it would all be profit for you guys. I think everyone here wants to see you succeed and get the music out there, so I know I (and probably several other regulars here) would be happy to do this for the band, and not charge anything except a legitimate shipping fee, and the cost for the cd itself.

But then again, I guess that's the same idea of distributing them through CDBaby...but do they take part of your profits?

In any case, whatever you decide, and wherever they are sold from, count me in!
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)

Offline Skvate

• Mediocre
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 06:02:14 am »
"CDbaby" might be a good idea for fans in america...but not so good for europeans. Must be someone like "CDbaby" in Europe too that can be used for european fans.
Lifeless I sail through these ironic fashions, dressed in the flesh of the jokers passions. On the uttermost brink of madness I stroll, and the rise of insanity as my most precious goal. Tricking the trail of my long lost obscurity, I gather me inside the artifice of eternity....

Offline Deific

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 06:30:12 am »
Check out this article:
http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5067907.html?tag=fd_top

Pretty interesting stuff out there for online distribution these days.
I think it would be awesome to see you guys on the iTunes Music Store.  It's only a matter of time before we see international coverage for the music store. It's on Macs and PCs now and has the most lenient usages when burning to CDs or putting onto other systems.

"The CD baby! site contains notes taken from the indie music meeting recently held at Apple. Interesting statistics revealed were that there are about 500k songs/week being downloaded from the iTunes Music store and that 45% of songs are being purchased as albums. Other interesting items of note are that Apple is treating everyone as equvalents in that all labels receive equal treatment with the same deal, the same agreements and you work with the same team of people. What's more is that Apple cuts a check EVERY MONTH which is huge for the smaller labels."

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 12:40:00 pm »
Wintress, CDBaby takes 4 dollars... It's reasonable, I think ... Only prob is the shipping cost which would be huge for a large number of albums (for us when we send them to cdbaby)...

Deific... As I figure, iTunes sell downloadable music only? You pay to download? Of course, we could join in on that, it's pretty cheap per song and in that respect I do support iTunes as a something that really has a future ...

But, we don't really want to sell mp3s/acc's or whatever format there is, we want to do something physical, something not necessarily limited (strange word in this context, but you guys know what I mean) to the internet...

However, it could be a good idea to sell the album via both iTunes (for those who couldn't care less about a jewel case with a fancy booklet and full quality uncompressed music) as well as somewhere where the physical CD could be sold...

That is, assuming we don't just add the album songs to the site for free.

Also, how we'd get to sell our album via iTunes, I have no idea ... Couldn't find any information on how to do that, I guess you need a label? Something we've never had, hehe...  

---

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 01:30:49 pm »
Hmm, was checking that link, and they in turn link to something called The Orchard, which also looks promising...

http://theorchard.com/

They handle both digital and physical distribution world wide... I will add this possibility to the list and check it out.

---

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 01:11:24 am »
Ohhhhh, this one sounds awesome!! Grrrreat discovery Robert... :D

--

The Orchard is the largest distributor of independent music in the world.

Join the thousands of artists and labels from around the world utilizing The Orchard's mainstream retail and digital distribution channels.

* The Orchard does all the grunt-work for you. We fulfill CD orders, register your release with Soundscan, and encode your music for delivery to the various digital music services and retail outlets.

The Orchard wants its artists and labels to grow in every way possible.  
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2003, 07:57:34 pm »
If possible, I'd like to bring a few of the CDs to a local shop that specializes in unsigned music. (They actually run a local indie lable, Know yer own music, so they're really supportive of the idea.)

They're good people.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Daita

• Music is life, don't stop listening.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2003, 08:37:43 pm »
I'd like to add a vote for cdbaby.  I've done business with them a few times now and found some amazing music through their service.  They really are a great company and very easy to deal with on a consumer end.  I know that shipping to them would be a bit much for you guys but they're probably one of the best indi cd distros around and host a lot of really good music.  And as a plus note they're located in my hometown ^^ which i found out after i ordered from them the first time amazing what sneaks by you sometimes isn't it?

Offline yamaneko

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 11:40:13 am »
I've also ordered from CDBaby several times without problem. As another possible alternative, you could look at: www.cdstreet.com That probably carries the same shipping-fees problem as CDBaby, but I figured I'd bring it up for you to look at.