Author Topic: Why is singing while playing so hard...  (Read 3449 times)

Offline greasemonkey

• I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'l crack ya teeth
Why is singing while playing so hard...
« on: July 18, 2006, 01:25:49 pm »
Is it just me, or is this excrutiatingly difficult...how do all them musicians do it?

I play guitar, and have tried to play and sing along to Taylor (jack johnson) several times, and I always screw the rhythm or lose my voice cause I'm too focused trying to keep it.

can anyone else do it? Is this a skill that needs as much practice as the song itself?

maybe one day it will just come to me...

the ru

Re: Why is singing while playing so hard...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 03:20:28 pm »
I've never had any particular problems with it (probably because I have a lot of experience from building rhythms and drum patterns in software), but I know people who have. So yes, it takes practice. Just take it slow the first time and don't speed things up until you've gotten enough into the rhythm to feel where each note should go.

MDX

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:23:34 pm »
You have to become comfortable with your instrument before you knock it up a notch, the notch in itself is probably still your instrument, you need to become more comfy before you can multitask, i was like that for ages, now i can play drums and sing, and play keys and sing at the same time.. its something that takes alota time though, but totally worth it.. esp if you can sing :P

the ru

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 11:04:43 pm »
So what about playing guitar with one hand (you could strum it with your nose, or genitalia), keyboard with the other, drums with your feet (and a tambourine on top of your head), and singing?

MDX

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 11:09:26 pm »
Youll need a really big dick first.

the ru

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 12:23:12 am »
At least you won't need any drumsticks.

Offline Kernel

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 01:30:00 am »
Uh, I always sing when I'm driving in my car. I can keep totally focused to both things at once, so even in tough situations, I don't have to stop singing and still drive safely (When I end up doing something stupid or noticing something important too late, then it's when I'm -not- singing)...

But... When I'm trying to play (I don't play the guitar, but I'm trying to play the keyboard, and still have a long way to go and way too little time) and sing at the same time, I can only play and sing in the same rhythm, which doesn't sound good at all. So I still can't multitask.

I think when I'm singing while driving, my driving becomes rhythm-ized, so I do all the stuff like braking, shifting, steering, anything, in time with the music I'm singing along with. That's okay, but that rhythm-ization is not okay when trying to play an instrument while singing...

I still need a lot of practise, but I can't play and sing loudly at my place, so the only way to practise playing is with headphones, and the only place to practise singing is my car.

Offline ftr2k5

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 02:37:31 am »
because the singing and playbing are usually in different rhythms, thats why. You said your driving becomes "rhytmiscised" to your singing, but you can't do that when playing and singing because the 2 rhythms need ot be different.

MDX

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 07:15:21 pm »
At least you won't need any drumsticks.

Big dick, not dicks.. come on now :P

the ru

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 08:59:55 pm »
Perhaps this discussion would be better off in the kinky thread.  8)

BTW, I'd really like to have an XD smiley.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 03:06:19 am »
Check out every riff with vocals, most of the times there is a certain pattern to it.