Author Topic: (Middle) Eastern Tension  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
Re: (Middle) Eastern Tension
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 10:29:47 am »
I know probably as much as what has already been said in this thread... I feel that a large factor keeping this conflict going is that Israel, Lebanon and Palestine sit right on the frontier or the West and the East. In reality, it's a fictional division and only ever used as propaganda.
It serves as an abstract object that people can blame their problems on. It doesn't matter who you are, on whichever side, the people on the other side aren't the same as you. They're strange, weird. They're not like you, they stand for murder, corruption. They're greedy.
It's a common problem being faced in society. People who feel the same way stick together, like tribes of cavemen, and it happens to all people, rich and poor. Israel is an example of segregation and prejudice taken to the extreme. Sadly, there would be no war if the people who lived there did not believe in it. Decades of distrust are fueling the war in the middle-east, and play an even bigger part than weapons or money.

The fact that we can waltz in there as saints to preach peace after Iraq, Jean Charles de Menezes and the distrust between middle and Muslim Britain seems quite arrogant and patronising. The only reason why the government has stepped up to sending diplomats in is because we're a big part of the mess that created the conflict that lasts to this day. And you can't about-face in politics, can you?

I think Britain needs to take a long, hard look at itself before it interferes in foreign affairs again.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 02:42:38 pm »

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 03:18:22 pm »
It is difficult to lay blame on any side in this conflict. If you are to believe european media, it is Israels fault, but it's not that simple. Israel certainly is the one with the upper hand, militarily, and we therefore take pity with the underdog. However, as strong as Israel is, the security is still too low for them to stop suicide bombers and terrorist activity.

As I'm sure you all would agree, if an organisation kept a continued terror operation towards your country, you would want your government to fight it and stop the terror. Problem is, as with all militias, such an organisation hide with innocent civilians. It is difficult to attack one without hurting the other. So you'll either have to do nothing, try to do the "right thing" (take out the terrorists without taking out civilians), which will, due to the scope, fail, or mount a counter-terror operation, essentially making yourself a terrorist as well. The latter is the easiest solution, and so it's the one chosen. Problem is, it makes the living conditions of the opressed even worse, and generate even more terrorists. And there we have a vicious cycle.

One possible solution to the problem would be to heighten the living standard of the palestinians. Envy combined with desperation is, after all, a powerful driving force. The palestinians live in poverty and bad conditions, and are being kept there by the terror campaign of the israeli army, while the israeli live in relative luxury.

But that would require the israeli army to back down and play nice while the palestinians rebuild, which they won't do unless the palestinians stop their terror campaign, which they won't do until they've got complete control over their own areas (which of course they won't have as long as the israeli army is there). And even if the governments can come to an agreement, rogue organisations (terrorist cells or settlers) can topple the fragile balance quite easily. By, say, kidnapping an israeli soldier.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 04:06:30 pm »
{Bunny}

I think it comes down to the man's age-old inability to share anything.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 06:19:12 pm »
Somethign that scared me today. I was on WoW with Akakori, and this guy in the party said "Alarm in my city, brb". Another guy said "oh noes the germans are coming!" and we had a laugh you know, as you do.

So after a few mins he came back and we asked stupidly "Are you in lebanon? lol" he said "No Israel."

It turns out he lives in northern Israel and had to go afk twice cause rockets were actually falling on his town...

It made it pretty fucking real to me to think that a guy i was harmless playing a game with could be killed at anytime...

Thats all i wanted to say.
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 04:09:05 pm »
That is pretty frightening. I would like to know what IT shmucks have to go to work for an internet provider when theres bombs hitting the city.

I think I'd have to move =\

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 11:10:08 am »

I don't understand wtf the american PEOPLE think they are. I watched a press conference from someone representing Bush. The first question to this dude was "What is American doing to solve this?" Its like, WTD?! Why the fuck does america have to sort this?! They are at the other fucking side of the world. Its their war, let them handle it. I will be almightly pissed off is Blair sends in British troops to stop a war thats been coming for years and has absolutely nothign to do with us.

And to be honest, i don't think Hezbollah or Israel even want our help.

hezbollah probably wouldn't mind, and israel is depending on it. after all, we provide the planes, bombs, and jet fuel, and if our jackass "president" could manage to stop selling the fuel perhaps just maybe fewer people would be dying constantly. I'm surprised, honestly... i know that we always support israel for some reason, but we at least usually say "hey now, calm down there, the palestinians don't need to be exterminated." Now it's just "yeah, go for it!"

like it or not, it has almost everything to do with "us," the western world who imposed arbitrary borders in a region we knew nothing about, shoved a bunch of jews in the middle of 22 muslim countries, and then gave everyone weapons and told them to play nice.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 11:13:30 am »
Very true Barony. Just so you knwo dude, when i've read your name i've always called you "The Prespective Bunny", just noticed that it actually isn't that but i'm still gona call you Bunny :)

DON'T PANIC!

Condolezza Rice is here to save the day!
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Spunky

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 03:53:49 pm »
4 UN observers killed. Israel just pissed off its allies. Very clever :/

Smeagol

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 03:58:19 pm »
The four unarmed UN observers from Austria, Canada, China and Finland

China

Oh dear. Israel are in pretty deep shit now.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 11:46:56 pm »
Possibly. But it's China, a dictatorship, and I'm not sure if the reaction would be as great as if, say, a US citizen got killed.

Which has happened at least once already, with an american peace activist who decided to stand in front of a bulldozer. The driver didn't stop, and just drove right over her and into the building behind her.

I can't remember what happened, but it can't have been much.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic