Author Topic: Cans vs Bottles vs Draft  (Read 29910 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: Cans vs Bottles vs Draft
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2006, 11:15:19 am »
Cerapter have a bit of a point. When a case of non-drinker arrives, his friends does seem to try to justify the fact that he's not drinking to outsiders of their circle. Case in point, a friend of mine invited me on a cabin trip with some friends. One of them didn't drink, and I was told at least once that he didn't, but he was a jolly good guy who was just as, if not more social, than the drinkers. Which was true. But he wouldn't have needed to tell me. I do sometimes go to parties sober, or almost sober, and when I drink (which is most of the time), I often don't drink myself very inebriated (though sometimes, I very much do. Like when there's free homemade wine tasting like lemonade available).

You're from around here, Cerapter. You should go and find yourself some drinking buddies who don't care much that you don't drink yourself. They exist. I know some. Fuck, one of the members of the group I sometimes hang around with when I'm home is a christian non-alcoholic, I believe. and the rest of the gang are metalheads.

All in all, I believe that your own belief that people who drink look down upon you for not drinking has a much greater effect upon you not being able to go out with people who drink than the effect of people actually looking down on you. Because apart from some childish guys who you don't want to hang out with anyway, most people don't. They may try to trick you into drinking, but that's just messing around with you. We mess around with each other, too. Like this last party I was at, when a guy put his newly emptied beer down and went to the toilet, and came back to find it almost empty. Point is, don't take good-humoured messing around for some sort of bullying.

As for not drinking, I don't see a reason to do so myself. I like alcoholic beverages, and I find it fun to be inebriated. And I am in control, I know what I'm doing even when I'm drunk.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006, 03:37:34 pm »
so, to counter one point, if i told you that last week my D&D group played two whole mods while under the influence, i'd be illustrating how just having common interests doesnt mean you cant drink.
Yeah, geeks drink, too. So sometimes, having a common interest isn't enough. But what I meant was, when you do base a friendship on common interests, the drinking part isn't that important.

i completely disagree with your main point.  with my "drinking" friends, yeah, we drink a lot.   but then there are those amongst us who dont drink.  we dont harass them or anything, we respect their right to choose.  everyone has their own reasons for doing everything, and if tehy dont want to drink, great, as long as they dont try to stop us.

we dont drink becuase things are more fun when were drunk.  we dont drink becuase we want to feel different.  we drink because we like the drinks, and its a fun way to pass the time.  yes, it alters how you think and feel, but not to the point where we arent teh same people.
That's great. I know there are people who think that way - which is something I have ignored in my posts so far - and I appreciate that. I worry about the other type, the ones who actually are narrow-minded assholes when it comes to drinking, and that they are everywhere. If you drink yourself you probably never notice them, but when you don't drink, they're gonna run you down because of it or forcefully try to make you start drinking. This group includes most of my classmates on several schools, lots of colleagues, even teachers and lots of people's parents. There are groups of them in any part of the society. It's people who's never let go of the assholeism of their youth, who's never changed since then.

But there are others also. I do have friends who don't drink and don't mind that I don't. It is such people and non-drinkers whom my groups of friends will consist of at any given time.

saying that becoming a drinker would be absurdly laborious for you is like saying its impossible to go to a bar.  its this easy: you go to a bar, you get a drink, you talk with someone.
For me, it would be false. I would be me trying to prove something to myself. I have no interest in drinking and none in bars. I've been at parties, I've been at bars, all for the sake of observing so I won't have the wrong impression of it all. It's not at all my kind of thing. Still, perhaps I might be able to 'learn' it all (I don't see why I would want to), but then I'd have to start drinking, and I have already swore to never do that.

You're from around here, Cerapter. You should go and find yourself some drinking buddies who don't care much that you don't drink yourself. They exist. I know some. Fuck, one of the members of the group I sometimes hang around with when I'm home is a christian non-alcoholic, I believe. and the rest of the gang are metalheads.
I will aquire such friends in Oslo - I already have a couple of them.

As for not drinking, I don't see a reason to do so myself. I like alcoholic beverages, and I find it fun to be inebriated. And I am in control, I know what I'm doing even when I'm drunk.
That's what they all say. ;D
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 04:12:21 pm »

saying that becoming a drinker would be absurdly laborious for you is like saying its impossible to go to a bar.  its this easy: you go to a bar, you get a drink, you talk with someone.
For me, it would be false. I would be me trying to prove something to myself. I have no interest in drinking and none in bars. I've been at parties, I've been at bars, all for the sake of observing so I won't have the wrong impression of it all. It's not at all my kind of thing. Still, perhaps I might be able to 'learn' it all (I don't see why I would want to), but then I'd have to start drinking, and I have already swore to never do that.

No. You do not have to drink to go to parties. You can have partying fun without alcohol. of course, that's supposing that you like partying. I myself am not much of a fan of going out. I like private parties, where I know a fair amount of the persons there (though I really do prefer it when there are people there I don't know as well - it's fun to meet new people). Nightclubs play their music just a bit too loud, so that it's hard to keep a conversation, and generally speaking, there happens more in a private party.

I also like going out with some good mates for a beer or two at a bar. In these cases, we're not at all interested in the alcohol, only in the fact that the beers taste very good. It might be a good place to start getting alcoholic friends, because there's no pressure towards actually getting drunk, and having a coke instead of a beer will only make them stare strangely at you and wonder why you don't like the taste of the wonderful beer. ;D

But yeah, if you don't find partying to be very fun, why should you care whether or not you drink. Not that you should if you do find it fun either. It's not the actual drinking that makes you an outsider to the partiers, it's the fact that you weren't there. It's the same way in any tightly knit group with an already established internal humour and history. You weren't there, so you don't get the jokes and references, and will feel like an outsider.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 04:23:56 pm by VisibleThong »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

MDX

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 04:17:24 pm »
I disagree. With things.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2006, 04:18:02 pm »
I concur. With other things.
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

MDX

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2006, 04:19:17 pm »
ITS ON/OFF!

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2006, 04:24:07 pm »
That's what they all say. ;D

I have had one or two times where I cannot remember what I did, but I've been told what I did and I don't really regret it. None of the stuff I do while drunk is stuff I would not want to do, or at least mind to do, though the alcohol may sometimes help with courage (I believe it is just as much my partying mood as the alcohol that does this, though - I am known to be accused of inebrity when completely and utterly sober). I don't believe people who blame the alcohol. If you did it, you wanted to. There may have been some very good reasons not to do it, but you still wanted to do it.

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2006, 05:22:14 am »
i completely disagree with your main point.  with my "drinking" friends, yeah, we drink a lot.   but then there are those amongst us who dont drink.  we dont harass them or anything, we respect their right to choose.  everyone has their own reasons for doing everything, and if tehy dont want to drink, great, as long as they dont try to stop us.

we dont drink becuase things are more fun when were drunk.  we dont drink becuase we want to feel different.  we drink because we like the drinks, and its a fun way to pass the time.  yes, it alters how you think and feel, but not to the point where we arent teh same people.
That's great. I know there are people who think that way - which is something I have ignored in my posts so far - and I appreciate that. I worry about the other type, the ones who actually are narrow-minded assholes when it comes to drinking, and that they are everywhere. If you drink yourself you probably never notice them, but when you don't drink, they're gonna run you down because of it or forcefully try to make you start drinking. This group includes most of my classmates on several schools, lots of colleagues, even teachers and lots of people's parents. There are groups of them in any part of the society. It's people who's never let go of the assholeism of their youth, who's never changed since then.

But there are others also. I do have friends who don't drink and don't mind that I don't. It is such people and non-drinkers whom my groups of friends will consist of at any given time.

Those people arent narrow minded assholes when it comes to drinking, they're narrow minded assholes.

there are always going to be people who are assholes like that.  its a fact of life.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2006, 04:44:58 pm »
I could just say beer but that would just be wrong.

I don't know what coca cola is doing lately, the prices are way too fucking high and my mom now only buys pepsi and that tastes like drain water.

So obviously i prefer coca cola above anything else.

I wish i could find another brand of cola i loved wich was cheaper  =]

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2006, 10:48:38 am »
just pretend i'm cerapter and magicman's love child and you'll get a pretty good idea of what i think.

i furthermore think that MechaMöcha MDX should get help. also rad. alcoholism is not a joke. and it's fucking expensive.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2006, 10:59:01 am »
I'm drinkign Coke from a can at the moment. Its very nice because its cold. But why does "warm" coke taste so shit? Same with beer really? Does a chemical break down in heat or something to make ti taste shit? Is there scientific reason behind it? *sups cold coke* mmmmmm caffine...
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2006, 11:31:17 am »
just pretend i'm cerapter and magicman's love child and you'll get a pretty good idea of what i think.

i furthermore think that MechaMöcha MDX should get help. also rad. alcoholism is not a joke. and it's fucking expensive.

The question is, is Rad actually drinking as much as the forum jokes go? If he is, then he is dangerously close to alcoholism. If not, it's just messing around.

It's difficult to tell if they're actually alcohlics based on what's written in a forum.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2006, 11:59:53 pm »
Same opinion as Cerapter and Spiff. I loathe the whole excess drinking culture, where people are proud about how much they can drink or how cool it is to puke into somebody elses car or how much fun passing out on a main road is.

I try to avoid parties with heavy drinkers and drink only to the point where my peripheral vision is slightly blurred. (And that doesn't take much.)

All forms of consuming alcohol where your intention isn't to get drunk but rather to enjoy the drink itself are cool though.

MDX

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2006, 12:12:19 am »
I drink alot, but i dont pride on it. Infact ive been trying to stop this summer, and ive been up and down, but i've definetly decreased the amount i drink over and how frequently i drink, i usually just gag about here.. though its only this summer ive really cut down, before then i was being honest, i drink a serious amount of alcohol, its not good.

But i'm beginning to realise that it's not doing me favours, musically i need to be in a better, fitter, position to play and don't want something stupid like beer bringing me down. So i do put a cap on it now.

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2006, 01:37:21 am »
I scrounge off my friend at school
as long as I haven't paid for it...
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o