Author Topic: Cans vs Bottles vs Draft  (Read 29909 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: Cans vs Bottles vs Draft
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 12:11:14 am »
No. But I'm not going to think good of you either.

Unless you have a reason not to drink, though, I would reccomend trying it. I'm not talking about getting drunk, though that most definitely can be fun as well, but the truth is that many alcoholic drinks taste very good, and you can't get those tastes in non-alcholic beverages.

And Kasumi: Are we talking real, traditional cider? I've always wanted to try that. Not the mass-produced thing, but good, old, english, dark and cloudy ciders. I especially want to taste scrumpy, which scumble (of Discworld fame) is a parody of.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

MDX

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:46 am »
Drinking is a healthy hobby.

Laser Turret

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 01:29:51 am »
Would you think bad of me if I were to say I've never consumed any alcohol?

I was like you... for many years... 20 of them in fact... then I got completely ratarsed, and I never looked back.

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 02:48:25 am »
I don't drink because I don't think it should be necessary to drink to have a life. I think too many people drink, and that isolates those who don't. I think drinking is way, way too integrated into the society I know. I don't think anything that unnecessary should be that integrated. I am expected to drink. People would take it for granted that I do, based on my age and me being a student.

When I tell people [who do drink that] I don't drink, they don't understand. They look at me funnily, and from that moment on I will surely never be able to talk with them like a friend - because I'm not like them, I'm strange and eccentric. They don't have anything in common with me, and I cannot lead any discussion with them because I can't relate to the frequent mentions of alcohol, which is one of their great interests, so much it's a part of their life, a basis for their lifestyle.

Thus, I cannot have any similar lifestyle; I cannot be a social person, I cannot get a lot of friends. Not because such a lifestyle is something I couldn't handle or something I wouldn't be interested in - but because I don't drink. Everyone with that lifestyle drinks, and if I want to do the same, then I have to drink too. If I don't, then I'm a foreigner among them, I wouldn't belong at all if I tried.

This wouldn't bother me if it was just a group of people having a tendency of including alcohol into their lifestyle. That's not the case, because practically -everyone- drinks. There is no room for the others, those who choose not to. There are too few sober people to be able to maintain an alternative society.

I don't drink because I want friends who don't judge people based on whether or not they drink. I've chosen not to drink and it'll stay that way. Those who cannot accept that others make choices like that, aren't worth my attention. This is much of the reason why I've chosen this. I want non-drinkers to have the same chance of being social as everyone else, because I know there are several of them and I know how they feel.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:49:56 am by Cerapter »
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 03:49:14 am »
I don't drink because I don't think it should be necessary to drink to have a life. I think too many people drink, and that isolates those who don't. I think drinking is way, way too integrated into the society I know. I don't think anything that unnecessary should be that integrated. I am expected to drink. People would take it for granted that I do, based on my age and me being a student.

When I tell people [who do drink that] I don't drink, they don't understand. They look at me funnily, and from that moment on I will surely never be able to talk with them like a friend - because I'm not like them, I'm strange and eccentric. They don't have anything in common with me, and I cannot lead any discussion with them because I can't relate to the frequent mentions of alcohol, which is one of their great interests, so much it's a part of their life, a basis for their lifestyle.

Thus, I cannot have any similar lifestyle; I cannot be a social person, I cannot get a lot of friends. Not because such a lifestyle is something I couldn't handle or something I wouldn't be interested in - but because I don't drink. Everyone with that lifestyle drinks, and if I want to do the same, then I have to drink too. If I don't, then I'm a foreigner among them, I wouldn't belong at all if I tried.

This wouldn't bother me if it was just a group of people having a tendency of including alcohol into their lifestyle. That's not the case, because practically -everyone- drinks. There is no room for the others, those who choose not to. There are too few sober people to be able to maintain an alternative society.

I don't drink because I want friends who don't judge people based on whether or not they drink. I've chosen not to drink and it'll stay that way. Those who cannot accept that others make choices like that, aren't worth my attention. This is much of the reason why I've chosen this. I want non-drinkers to have the same chance of being social as everyone else, because I know there are several of them and I know how they feel.

QFT. I have a life and personality without drinking, but some seem to find that hard to believe. It's one of things people, including my friends, look down on me for. But I'm not interested in a lifestyle that requires you to drink anyway, I'd rather be the silent, boring old me.

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2006, 03:51:40 am »
i have a group of friends who drink, and whom i drink with, and then i have a group of friends that i dont.  They all drink a ton, and i do it with them not becuase i want to fit in, but because its more fun.  and then i have my friends who i dont drink with.

i guess that makes me one of those people who drinks to fit in, like you say.  i dont see it that way.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2006, 04:06:00 am »
I don't drink because

1) I have no friends that I could go out drinking with
2) If I can't do something while I'm sober, why the fuck would I want to do it when I'm not in full control?
3) Going with 2), I just really hate the idea of substances that make people behave the way they shouldn't.
4) Alcoholism is supposedly genetic, so going with 3) and 2) and my family history there's just no fucking way.

There's also 5), which never counts for much, and is the fact that I'm underage.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2006, 04:17:27 am »
i have a group of friends who drink, and whom i drink with, and then i have a group of friends that i dont.  They all drink a ton, and i do it with them not becuase i want to fit in, but because its more fun.  and then i have my friends who i dont drink with.

i guess that makes me one of those people who drinks to fit in, like you say.  i dont see it that way.
Aw, you're ruining my point. Yeah, I was talking in black and white. According to my post, I shouldn't have any friends, but I do. Some of them don't drink, some do, but they all accept that I'm not drinking.

Surely, for most people it isn't a matter of trying to fit in, it's just a natural thing to drink - don't mind it, don't see anything wrong with it. For me, however, having gone so far without ever starting, it does mean such a transition. Furthermore, the whole idea, concept and the fun involved in drinking alcohol doesn't appeal to me. If I was to drink and be social in a way involving alcohol, it would be a pure act.

Yet, without doing this, I don't have the possibility of being as social as those who drink. It's like having less rights. Wherever I go, whatever group of people I come upon, drinking will probably have a great role among them, and I will not fit in - not because I'm anything different from them besides the drinking - but because of the drinking, because it means that they > me. Even if I never actually came in a situation where they were drinking, there would be talk and frequent mentions of things I don't know and can't discuss - things which happened to them once they went drinking, things they like to drink, what happens to them when they drink, who they screwed when they were drunk, etc, etc. All the hot topics include drinking.

That's why I like geeks. They often hang out because of common interests instead of alcohol.

I agree with magicman's 2). I always need to be in control of my own body and mind. I absolutely don't like the idea of losing that control. I guess this also means I'm not the type of guy to be into bondage.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 04:21:21 am by Cerapter »
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2006, 06:05:26 am »
coke > *
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2006, 06:28:44 am »
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2006, 07:47:25 am »
Yet, without doing this, I don't have the possibility of being as social as those who drink. It's like having less rights. Wherever I go, whatever group of people I come upon, drinking will probably have a great role among them, and I will not fit in - not because I'm anything different from them besides the drinking - but because of the drinking, because it means that they > me. Even if I never actually came in a situation where they were drinking, there would be talk and frequent mentions of things I don't know and can't discuss - things which happened to them once they went drinking, things they like to drink, what happens to them when they drink, who they screwed when they were drunk, etc, etc. All the hot topics include drinking.

That's why I like geeks. They often hang out because of common interests instead of alcohol.

so, to counter one point, if i told you that last week my D&D group played two whole mods while under the influence, i'd be illustrating how just having common interests doesnt mean you cant drink.

i completely disagree with your main point.  with my "drinking" friends, yeah, we drink a lot.   but then there are those amongst us who dont drink.  we dont harass them or anything, we respect their right to choose.  everyone has their own reasons for doing everything, and if tehy dont want to drink, great, as long as they dont try to stop us.

we dont drink becuase things are more fun when were drunk.  we dont drink becuase we want to feel different.  we drink because we like the drinks, and its a fun way to pass the time.  yes, it alters how you think and feel, but not to the point where we arent teh same people.

a year and a half ago, i was a rebellious punk nerd who had never smoked a joint or had a drink before.  when i started to transition into erin, i branched out.  trying new things was good for me, it helped me maintain my sanity.  but above that, it showed me taht so many of my conceptions, my beliefs, and my sterotyped biases i had towards people and groups of people were wrong.  saying that becoming a drinker would be absurdly laborious for you is like saying its impossible to go to a bar.  its this easy: you go to a bar, you get a drink, you talk with someone.

Chicago is a notoriously corrupt city, and a number of teh bars let minors in.  I found this one bar tahts one of the last "old sailor" type places left.  i go there and smoke and drink with the fishermen and the oldies there.  you'd be suprised how easy it is to just socialize with people who are as deep, wise, and interesting as those old farts.

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2006, 08:46:35 am »
Almost all students I know keep complaining about their bad economy.
Yet I keep meeting them at the pub every saturday.
It makes me a bit confused.

I myself don't spend much money on anything other than the basic needs and thus have a fair bit of money left. So I can go out and have a bunch of (sometimes) well deserved relaxing beers with my friends.

Also, the people who tend to lack money are also often seen with drinks and shots which cost three times as much as beer and lasts less time. I on the other hand prefer getting as much time/order as possible so I don't have to fight my way to the bar so often.

I order my 0.6 litre Starobrno and find a comfy seat somewhere. Then I sit there, sip my beer and talk to all the friends that find me. Go to bathroom if needed. Get new beer when empty.

The oddest thing about me is that I don't check out any girls, not even when I'm drunk. I'm only looking for friends that are fun to talk with or let my mind wander freely.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2006, 09:12:23 am »
coke > *

+1

...except Dr. Pepper....

you cant buy dr pepper here anymore :( its sad. i want dr pepper.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2006, 10:47:31 am »
And Kasumi: Are we talking real, traditional cider? I've always wanted to try that. Not the mass-produced thing, but good, old, english, dark and cloudy ciders. I especially want to taste scrumpy, which scumble (of Discworld fame) is a parody of.

Eh, I would but it's too expensive. Not that I'm the sort that buys White Lightning, I just buy what's readily available at the pub or at the supermarket. This usually means Strongbow or Blackthorn. I would love to try some of the more traditional stuff, though.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2006, 10:48:37 am »
Mmm DP ;)
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]