Author Topic: sports  (Read 9561 times)

Offline Spunky

Re: sports
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 05:33:36 pm »
I mean the bows that have red dot sights, sniper scopes, counter-counter weights and counter weights, auto lauching things and homing arrows.
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Smeagol

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 05:41:17 pm »
I mean the bows that have red dot sights, sniper scopes, counter-counter weights and counter weights, auto lauching things and homing arrows.

That would be called an ICBM.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 05:47:49 pm »
This was my best result for a google ICBM image search.

I don't think its an ICBM... i can't see the red dot.
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 06:20:40 pm »
Composite bows are bows made from more than one piece/material. They have existed at least since the Roman Empire, as eastern roman auxillia archers sometimes had such. These weren't as adcanved as the ones we have today, with wheels and bowstrings five times longer than the bow itself, but they existed and were considered superior to normal bows of the same size.
Modern competition bows are recurve bows; composites are illegal.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 06:27:52 pm »
I play rugby (forced at school, don't really like it and rubbish at it since im scrawny), hockey which is good fun (none of ice crap), football which I like, cricket a bit in summer cause i have to; sometimes fun. Managed to play for the ladies firsts. ^^

Also chess, which I'm awesome at, though rusty as the spoons you find in your garden.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 06:39:53 pm »
Composite bows are bows made from more than one piece/material. They have existed at least since the Roman Empire, as eastern roman auxillia archers sometimes had such. These weren't as adcanved as the ones we have today, with wheels and bowstrings five times longer than the bow itself, but they existed and were considered superior to normal bows of the same size.
Modern competition bows are recurve bows; composites are illegal.
Illegal O_o? I attended a medieval archery contest a few years ago and there were a few people with composite bows in there. They were medieval composite bows, of course, so it could be that modern composite bows are illegal but medieval ones aren't...

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 06:50:34 pm »
Or that composite bows are just illegal in the US. Or in these competitions.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 06:58:11 pm »
Yes, that too. Or that it's illegal to hunt with them. I think it's illegal to hunt with any bow/crossbow in Finland, altough I'm not sure. Something about the animals suffering more than when they're shot with a rifle.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2006, 07:31:26 pm »
Or in these competitions.
Specifically, the Olympics and most if not all Asian competitions.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 07:54:19 pm »
Sport!! Hahahahahaha.

I\\\'m actually a good archer and have my own bow and stuff, but I haven\\\'t been shooting for a couple of years :( Still love my bow though.
A modern bow or a real bow? I've got a wooden longbow and a longsword. Forgot to add medieval archery and cutting-various-things-of-different-sizes-into-pieces-using-a-longsword into my first reply to this thread.

Nah, mine is a modern compound <3

Composite bows suck tbqh. I mean, where's the sport in a device that gets bullseye 90% of the time by exerting minimal effort. Compounds require you to strain and put some power in there. Longbows more so. I've never shot a longbow, but I've seen one being made and it's quite amazing, seeing different strips of wood from different trees stacks upon each other slowly day by day and always being slightly bent being held in vices.

Oh, and if you consider falconry, juggling, staves and that kinda stuff as sports, I can do those too.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 08:41:35 pm »
Snowboarding when there is snow, golfing when it isn't raining and there is no snow. I'd play airsoft but almost no one here is interested, they always just go waaaaah the guns are expensive or waaaaah it hurts or waaaah paintball is better even though I have no reason as to why its better it just is omg waaaaaaaah. Lame.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2006, 09:08:49 pm »
Parkour is totally my kind of sport, but I've never done it, because I practically live in a forest. That, and I don't know if my knees can take it.

I've adored swimming since I was ickle. When I was 11 I passed my 1500m, which is 60 lengths of a 25m pool.
Shortly after that, I was old enough to get myself across town to Reading Central Pool, which has diving boards. I spent lots of Sunday afternoons there diving, and now I live in Sheffield I'm hoping to join the diving club to learn to do it properly. It's fecking scary though, because they have Olympic class facilities including a 10m platform and a 6m deep diving pit. I expect to crap myself on day one.

I have trouble swimming one length. ;D

10m is 'olympic class'? There's a 10m platform at my local swimming hall.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2006, 09:11:10 pm »
I can't swim :D

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2006, 09:32:40 pm »
* Cerapter applauds akakori-LASER

This was my best result for a google ICBM image search.

I don't think its an ICBM... i can't see the red dot.

Reminds me of when I googled 'hot asian chick' once.

It's true, it was right there on the first page of google images!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 09:40:33 pm by Cerapter »
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2006, 09:51:36 pm »
Yes, 10m, 7.5m, 5m, 3m and 1m are the main varieties of competition diving heights.