Author Topic: teddy bear that saves the world?  (Read 15946 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: teddy bear that saves the world?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 04:36:35 pm »
That's awesome.

Offline Palicgofueniczekt

• I wanna be Mama bear.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 11:19:38 am »
Since this is all posted in romanized script of a hieroglyphic language, and there are many homophones/homonyms...

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 10:20:59 pm »
Japanese has both phonetic and glyphic (hieroglyphs were used by Egyptians (hiero(s)-holy glyph(os?)-sign), the correct word is glyphic) writing, and has rather distinctive sounds that are fairly easy to transcribe to Roman letters (except for "ru" that's some kind of combination of "r" and "l").

It's worse with Chinese, which doesn't have a sign language, and has lots of sounds that are very different from those represented in the Roman alphabet.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

• I wanna be Mama bear.
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 11:42:21 pm »
hieroglyphs were used by Egyptians (hiero(s)-holy glyph(os?)-sign), the correct word is glyphic

Oh no! We are dealing with words. Words can be interpreted in different ways. To some, hieroglyph == Egyptian writing, to others it means a system of using pictures/symbols as words.

My point was that there are some words that are romanized the same. For example: god/spirit, hair, paper. All are romanized as "kami."
In romanized writting, sometimes it might be easy to determin which is meant by context clues. In spoken form, many words that are written the same in romanization are pronounced with different intonations.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 11:52:33 pm »
[15:51] Totally, Definitely Not Fiindil (that fag): what does oki mean
[15:52] Totally, Definitely Not Fiindil (that fag): as in oki kuma
[15:52] P&G Ivory Soap: oki means big
[15:52] Totally, Definitely Not Fiindil (that fag): k

thread closed retsgo
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 01:24:04 am »
Fallout fails.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 01:35:47 am »
what does fallout have to do with anything?

I mean, we all know he fails, but really
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Drain

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 10:14:45 am »
Japanese has both phonetic and glyphic (hieroglyphs were used by Egyptians (hiero(s)-holy glyph(os?)-sign), the correct word is glyphic) writing, and has rather distinctive sounds that are fairly easy to transcribe to Roman letters (except for "ru" that's some kind of combination of "r" and "l").

It's worse with Chinese, which doesn't have a sign language, and has lots of sounds that are very different from those represented in the Roman alphabet.

The only sound in japanese I think people should have trouble with is "Fu" since its a mix of the sounds "fu" and "hu". It resembles the sound of blowing more than anything else imo. Like if you are trying to whistle and fuck up. All the other sounds used in japanese already exist in the swedish language atleast. What I dont understand is why americans have so much trouble with japanese pronounciation, but then again they have that problem with every other language in the world including english :(

Laser Turret

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 02:51:52 pm »
Americans have this bizarre instinct to put stresses on vowels unneccessarily. Hirohshiima. No! It\'s Hiroshima, you wazzaks.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 02:56:27 pm »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 06:54:11 pm »
Fallout fails.

I'm watching you.
FAIIIILINNGGG

IM FAAAAAAIIIILINGGG....

HAVE YOU EVER

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 09:12:05 pm »
What I dont understand is why americans have so much trouble with japanese pronounciation, but then again they have that problem with every other language in the world including english :(

As far as i'm aware, we don't have much trouble with japanese, because yes, most sounds are the same thing. Perhaps americanized forms of words and names (like Hiroshima) are completely off, but that's not people actually trying to learn japanese.

however, we are certainly sadly pitifully bad at learning other languages.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Drain

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 02:30:12 pm »
What I dont understand is why americans have so much trouble with japanese pronounciation, but then again they have that problem with every other language in the world including english :(

As far as i'm aware, we don't have much trouble with japanese, because yes, most sounds are the same thing. Perhaps americanized forms of words and names (like Hiroshima) are completely off, but that's not people actually trying to learn japanese.

however, we are certainly sadly pitifully bad at learning other languages.

Maybe you are right. I was just judging from the little japanese ive seen americans speak in movies, like Tom Cruise in The last Samurai. I mean if you are recording a movie for months in japan and you are still unable to pronounce the only 3 realy basic lines you have in japanese then something is wrong somewhere but maybe thats just Tom being a wierd Scientologist :p

• I wanna be Mama bear.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 05:08:11 pm »
Or maybe that is how he was told to say it.

Laser Turret

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2006, 05:17:33 pm »
Or maybe that is how he was told to say it.

by directors that are as dumb as him.