Author Topic: RPG Maker XP  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Darkz0r-

RPG Maker XP
« on: June 27, 2006, 08:25:49 pm »
Anyone of you guys ever tried this program called RPG Maker XP? I've just tried it, easy to use and free! (I think...)
So, you can change the size of the maps, modify your maps (do-ooh), you can make so many maps as you want, you can ofc make your own characters, char classes, weapons, armors, items, and accessories. Also, you can change how the chars look in battle, and in the map.

And that aint all! You can change the background music and the background sounds and put your own midis to the game. And if you know how to script (Ruby) you can script your very own battle system/menu system/anything else you want! Internet is an unlimited source for scripts too, from counter-attack script to sideview battlesystem!

Want screenshots? Go to google...
"Samaria will bear her guilt because she has rebelled against her God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to pieces,  and their pregnant women ripped open."

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: RPG Maker XP
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:39:35 pm »
I've tinkered some with RPG Maker 2000, and it's good.
What I like even more is Fighter Maker 2000, since I 've always been thrilled at the prospects of making a fighting game with me and my friends in it. The problem is, as soon as I add sounds, the program crashes...
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Фраеон

• Je zuigt lul
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 05:41:14 pm »
There are no free versions of RPGMaker that are legal.

So..yeah...

Try ika or Verge, if you want a relatively easy game engine.
A universe where there was no War of Independence because British colonial policy was more enlightened. An American Civil War after which Lincoln wasn't assassinated. A Second World War in which Hitler was. Or where the whole planet was invaded by, I don't know, space lizards or something.

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 01:55:52 am »
There are no free versions of RPGMaker that are legal.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Its a fun little program, very powerful. I started trying to make a full-scale game with it but quickly lost all ambition as tends to happen with me.
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline Drain

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 05:02:46 pm »
More fun to just program a game from the core =( Then you have no limits :P

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 10:45:34 pm »

RPG-maker is just a frame. If you can program a bit you can change it however you want. It is a very good interface for editing the games, and you don't have to do any more number crunching than you feel is necessary.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 07:13:37 am »

I think the idea was that this program got rid of the need to do that. Its designed for people who don't necessarily want to take the time and effort required to learn a programming language to that level but who still want to make a fun and dynamic rpg game.

Offline Drain

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 09:29:23 am »
Yeah that can be fun too I guess ^^ You can make rpgs in the wc3 map editor too if you like :P I have a friend who made a game in Java. He took all the background graphics from rpgmaker and added the units and sounds from starcraft. Then you controlled a goliat running around killing units... was kinda fun :P

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 06:30:57 am »
Thats blasphemy! It sounds like a shitty UMS game only worse...

He should have taken units from a different game.

Offline Drain

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 10:04:32 am »
Well it was in no way like an UMS map ;e you moved the goliat with wasd and aimed with the mouse. You didnt select units to attack just aim at them.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 01:04:49 pm »
I tried RPGmaker2000 once, and made some silly conversations and characters on top of the default, generic battle stuff in a five-minute scenario. It was relaxing just throwing random stuff together without any particular plans or regard to seriousness. :P I didn't scratch the surface of what could be done on RPGmaker, but neither could I be bothered to. It just seemed like such a chore to conform to its many features, and I know how much time is required for building a good RPG anyway - too much.

I got Klik'n'Play, a far less advanced game making tool for complete newbies, when I was about 11 or something. Years of fun to be had doing some silly games. :) The platform physics were written by a monkey and it constantly crashed, but I wasn't that picky. Not until I made my last game, Hero, did I realize that KnP actually had some potential, despite crashing and *destroying* your files every so often. I later remade Hero in one week in Gamemaker without problems.

I got Gamemaker in about 2003, I think. In terms of versatility and stability, it's KnP times one million. Its restrictions are far less than both KnP and (seemingly) RPGmaker, then again it was made to create any sort of game or simpler application than just platformers or RPGs. It's relatively slow and interprets its own code instead of compiling it (wtf) but I'd rather do my own RPG in it than learn RPGmaker. :P

Offline Gambler

• Gamblers Maze
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 02:20:34 pm »
I've tried the RPG Maker a long time ago, it was nice somehow, but I just didn't like it that much because nearly everyone I knew used it, kinda hyping it up. I also got KnP when I was about 9 or 10, but never finished a game :P
Now, last semester, we had a seminar which goal was to create a complete game. We did it, and I have to admit that it was much more fun than working around with RPG Maker :) Maybe that's just me, but having complete control over something you're creating is very motivating :P
Regardless what they all say - the one who truly rules the world is the big old ancient slime

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 06:23:32 pm »
OHRRPGCE > RPGMaker

just because of the acronym and hamsters
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline ftr2k5

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 06:25:25 pm »
Upload your games dammit!

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 12:59:39 pm »
Hehe, KnP... Many fond memories, and even more horrible ones... It really did love to eat up your files, didn't it? I got through a few semi-complete games before finally giving up on it. The same company also made something called "The Games Factory," which was basically KnP minus a few bugs plus a whole bunch of others. Same problems with corrupting files though.

Game Maker is teh awesome. I've pumped out a whole bunch of junk with it, and I'm finally starting to make some games of actual quality. It has a good balance of power and simplicity, and the learning curve is great. If anyone wants to seriously make a decent game, I'd recommend GM.