Author Topic: Gaming Monthly (July 06)  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
Re: Gaming Monthly (July 06)
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2006, 07:49:55 pm »
I think all games should come in a DVD-style box (Max Payne, Quake 4 for examples). This would serve two purpose:

A) I have "pack-rat" syndrome. I have difficulty throwing away the box art to video games, but I would never store the games in them because theyre big, bulky, and I have no where to display them and it's an utter pain to get to them.

B) I could put them in the DVD-style cases and store them on a display and easily access them, protecting them without having to use an unorganized CD book. It just seems better this way, they're reliable, they protect, they're small enough to keep on display, and you can keep the booklet material and the games together easily. Besides, its nice to look at a shelf full of games to decide what you're in the mood for when you wanna go back to something you havent played in a while. Thank god console games have adepted to this method, if only PC games would.

Edit: It also saves retailers shelf space to allow for more stock (either on the shelf or in the store room if they're heavy on anti-theft)

Too bad DVD cases take up way more room that jewel cases. Even the slim cases which are a great improvement take up more because of the vertical. I much prefer jewel cases for easy storage in racks, containers and on shelves.

My main problem with game jewel cases is that most of them are very dull. Meaning, its usually a CD in a clear jewel case and nothing else. It cannot store the book or other material you may want to keep. They also lack labeling 99% of the time, so attempting to find the jewel case you want on a shelf of other jewel cases can be next to impossible. They look ugly when shelved too if they are not done proper-like.

I could tolerate this method if they they could hold the physical material of the game (unfortunately this is not feasable as the books would be too small to contain information for any game more complex than pong) and they were done in the style of CD's, with labeling and image art to make them worth putting on a shelf. There is also the pack-rat syndrome problem though, in which I'd still have a problem throwing away the box and since the jewel case cannot contain all the material of your average game, it'll still come with a box.

The DVD cases are fantastic for Xbox 360 and other console games, I see no problem with it. They look good on a shelf and take up no more room than a DVD, and on any decent sized shelf you can put tons and tons and tons of those things without issue.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 03:10:48 am »
I think all games should come in a DVD-style box (Max Payne, Quake 4 for examples). This would serve two purpose:

A) I have "pack-rat" syndrome. I have difficulty throwing away the box art to video games, but I would never store the games in them because theyre big, bulky, and I have no where to display them and it's an utter pain to get to them.

B) I could put them in the DVD-style cases and store them on a display and easily access them, protecting them without having to use an unorganized CD book. It just seems better this way, they're reliable, they protect, they're small enough to keep on display, and you can keep the booklet material and the games together easily. Besides, its nice to look at a shelf full of games to decide what you're in the mood for when you wanna go back to something you havent played in a while. Thank god console games have adepted to this method, if only PC games would.

Edit: It also saves retailers shelf space to allow for more stock (either on the shelf or in the store room if they're heavy on anti-theft)

Too bad DVD cases take up way more room that jewel cases. Even the slim cases which are a great improvement take up more because of the vertical. I much prefer jewel cases for easy storage in racks, containers and on shelves.

My main problem with game jewel cases is that most of them are very dull. Meaning, its usually a CD in a clear jewel case and nothing else. It cannot store the book or other material you may want to keep. They also lack labeling 99% of the time, so attempting to find the jewel case you want on a shelf of other jewel cases can be next to impossible. They look ugly when shelved too if they are not done proper-like.

I could tolerate this method if they they could hold the physical material of the game (unfortunately this is not feasable as the books would be too small to contain information for any game more complex than pong) and they were done in the style of CD's, with labeling and image art to make them worth putting on a shelf. There is also the pack-rat syndrome problem though, in which I'd still have a problem throwing away the box and since the jewel case cannot contain all the material of your average game, it'll still come with a box.

The DVD cases are fantastic for Xbox 360 and other console games, I see no problem with it. They look good on a shelf and take up no more room than a DVD, and on any decent sized shelf you can put tons and tons and tons of those things without issue.

I've never had a game in a jewel case that didn't have a label on the side or paper inserts with two exceptions: KKND & Galactic Civilizations 2. DVD cases are no better for holding manuals (for PC games, I've never seen console games with a real manual) considering most of mine are larger or thicker than any regular DVD case.

I also keep the boxes and manuals, I just take out the cardboard and fold them down and shove them into a really large box. Same goes for manuals, I dump them into storage.

I would have to say the standard sized DVDs take up too much room on a shelf to begin with speaking as a person with many DVDs with no more walls to hold them in my room. I much prefer the new slim cases but unfortunately almost no one uses them other than some new MGM/Sony and ADV (re)releases.

Why oh why didn't they use these in the first place? I'd be able to fit like two-three times as many DVDs on my shelves.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Spunky

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 10:48:36 am »
I've reinstalled Enigma: Rise of the Tides. Anyone got tis? Voice recognition submarine/ship game :D
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 04:27:06 am »
Finished The Longest Journey. It wasn't a very long journey. Time to get the sequal, Dreamfall, I guess. I'm thinking I'll play CoD: United Offensive now.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 11:04:18 am »
Finished The Longest Journey. It wasn't a very long journey.

What I thought as well. There's a lot of room for sidequests in the game, but there aren't any.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2006, 12:59:44 am »
Finished The Longest Journey. It wasn't a very long journey.

What I thought as well. There's a lot of room for sidequests in the game, but there aren't any.

Could be for the better. Obscure solutions to puzzles just anger me. Even more so when it crashes when saving after having done a bunch.

Finished United Offensive. Didn't seem as fun as CoD orginally was. Guess I'm on to Homeworld next.