Author Topic: More girl gamer rubbish...  (Read 23342 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: More girl gamer rubbish...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 05:46:21 pm »
I didn't get the mutated left hand joke from fallout.

In the thumbnail, it only looks like she has three fingers.

Offline Miles_Ex_Machina

• Sven Vollfied, once gentleman, always a gentleman
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 07:44:42 pm »
I pity people that play games coz they think it's cool. I started playing games waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before it was cool, and still do play games from time to time, and don't give a damn if it's cool or not. But like any veteran I do like vintage games, and despise sport games, which come out in dozen numbers every month and don't ever bring anything new to the scene, except for improved graphix.

Love kills time, time kills love...

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 08:21:44 pm »
dude what the fuck does that mean
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Miles_Ex_Machina

• Sven Vollfied, once gentleman, always a gentleman
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 08:24:35 pm »
Don't know myself. Don't pay any attention to me till the end of the week, when I get to do exams I get stoopid just after finishing them ( hopefully ), like a kick-back effect of some sort.

P.S.: Just kiddin'. I read the first post very quick, and didn't quite get the meaning of the whole thread I guess. That shit happens.

Love kills time, time kills love...

Offline Spiff

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 11:25:57 pm »
Poking in to say that the protagonist's gender doesn't matter in the games I make, that is, they don't objectify or stereotype neither men nor women. At least I hope so. So I'm trying my best to help what little I can. Hero and Retrobattle had male heroes, but their pixelly forms and movements didn't really indicate that they were males. In Castle of Elite you could choose different "skins", and in Iji the main character's an averagely-proportioned girl with no distinct "feminine" traits as such. But she's not overly bad-ass just to "even the scales" either. I'm just trying to make her and her male friend human and believable.

I haven't read the article in the first post (shock!) but I think a good example of the subject would be Super Princess Peach, where Peach rescues Mario - though her special power is mood swings, and the game's considerably easier than the average Mario game.

I'm all for games that don't sell on objectification, but saying that female game developers would be different and superior to the male is to ignore the men who actually try to make a difference. (Not pointing out anyone in particular, but some people seem to like to use this argument.)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 06:01:25 pm »
I didn't get the mutated left hand joke from fallout.

In the thumbnail, it only looks like she has three fingers.
Dude, are you blind ?

I know you know she has 5 fingers, but you can really see that properly.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 12:37:06 am »
Slightly blind, after that incident with MagicMan.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 09:29:55 am »
what i dont get is why all this talk about girl gamers? who cares what gender someone is. is there all these articles on guy gamers? no.

its not a gender thing. if you game, youre a gamer. why segregate it into girl gamers and guy gamers?
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 02:59:16 pm »
Because when you introduce girls into the equation, you can generate interest from the mainstream. What they're trying to do is to sell the story to FHM to entice business from the thousands of people who would not normally buy their clothes. The idea goes that if girls are seen modelling the clothes and being gamers, gaming won't be seen as geeky anymore.
Basically they're creating a "friendly" image of gamers that the mass market can buy into, as most gamers don't touch their clothes with a barge pole (you should see what UK Resistance had to say about this stunt).

Well, of course they're entitled to make money, but he's trying to justify this to gamers across the net as an honest, good attempt at giving girl gamers exposure and to bring fresh blood to the scene wheras in fact it's just a cynical attempt to cash in on girl gamers and make money for their company.
He then made the mistake of posting a comment in Joystiq trying to justify this stunt as a genuine effort for a good cause. Fool.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 03:17:45 pm »
what i dont get is why all this talk about girl gamers? who cares what gender someone is. is there all these articles on guy gamers? no.

its not a gender thing. if you game, youre a gamer. why segregate it into girl gamers and guy gamers?

Still haven't read the article, but...

The quote above was kind of what I was trying to get at with my last paragraph, but I guess it's like people making a big deal out of sexual preferences or some political or religious beliefs; because they're a minority. And minorities are different, strange, unknown, and something the masses don't understand, so they need a special nametag, people speaking for their rights to be acknowledged like the majority (eventhough they may already be), and giving them more attention than members of the majority. If a man spends a long time studying and working hard to become the president in a male-dominated field, say a large videogame company, and at the same time a woman does the same, you'll get the headline "the first female president of a large videogame company". No mention of these peoples' hard work will appear; it's more interesting that she was a woman. Or black. Or homosexual. Or Pastafarian (look it up).

It's like a funny little story about an evening paper headline, that said "pregnant woman found a raw shrimp in her chicken wings" or something to that effect. It was a true headline at any rate. But the writer stopped to let the audience ponder, "is it more terrible becasue the woman was pregnant? Maybe it's quite gross whether or not you are pregnant, really." That's a good example of making something even more special because of one condition or another that is usually in the minority.

People don't wear t-shirts proclaiming they're guy gamers, but some girl gamers do. Because it's the "norm" to be a guy gamer, and "different" to not be, which appereantly makes it justified to make a deal out of it.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is: with every new idea, preference, belief or belonging to a group that media suddenly discovers (or discovers it can make money on!), we're getting more and more of these "girl gamers are gamers too" type stuff, and as a result we're getting more segregated, because in our quest to be equal we focus more and more on our differencies.

My female friend's a major gamer and doesn't think anything special of it. Heck, all my female cousins have played or still plays videogames. They don't feel the need to place special labels on themselves. And unlike what major producers seem to think, they don't play games differently than me or solely enjoy games like Barbie's Horse Adventure. It's everything from Tetris to Starcraft for them as well.

Offline Aurin

• The Wired
    • aurinsusi.com
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 06:59:14 pm »
Just... ehh. Reminds me of couple of girls in my previous school. I saw them wearing these Space Invaders t-shirts one day and I mentioned something about them... They seriously had no idea what I was talking about.
To me those shirts look just like any other shirts out there with some arcade-gibberish printed on them. The new trend is to not to be "one in a million", right? Like when Hennes & Mauritz sold Ramones t-shirts, when the fangirl-look was "hot". Marketeers, always searching for new ways to bring out something "special" for the masses wanting to be "special".
I don't mean I/we/whatever'd be somehow holier/better/whatever, it's just... Too many times I've found myself asking, what's the big deal? Why to be interested in something you really aren't interested in?

And many, many times I've been wishing I was raised as a boy, haha, just to not to get the extra attention or special treatment because of my gender + interests. They're just interests after all. And are under the effect of many other things. u_u;

Quote from: laser
Who the heck are you?

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 09:14:55 pm »
slightly OT: i saw someone wearing a t'shirt that said "Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!"  i told her "i love that movie!"  and she looked at me like i was retarded.  why in the hell would you wear a t-shirt from a movie you've never seen?! especially Office Space!

back On Topic: at GenCon, i spent about 8 hours in the gaming area.  half of the guys there were all OMFG GUYS GO EASY ON HER!  there were a few guys who didnt treat me like a doll, and they've been some of the coolest gaming buds ive ever made.  we led a 18 vs 3 CTF game (we were the heads of the 18 side, playing against the top three national champs.  we lost), and we had a blast.  when people can just ignore the fact that we have an input instead of an output, then its fine.  but every time someone is all *whisper wisper GIRL wisper wisper*, it makes me want to leave, because its offensive.  i dont play video games to be worshipped.  i play video games for the same reason you do, so treat me the same way.

some people do, some people dont.  its life, but its something i get upset over.

Lysander

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 09:43:15 pm »
I don't get why guys get all worked up/excited when they meet girl gamers. It's perhaps they are antisocial geeks.
If i meet a girl who plays games, i treat them as i would anybody else. Doesn't make a difference to me.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 10:04:17 pm »
Barbie's Horse Adventure was fucking awesome. Though a bit short. After eight hours I had already unlocked the unicorn.

I love how fashion and marketing people "discover" subcultures to make tons of money. And even more the fact that there are millions of spineless lemmings following every trend they create. As long as it works, why not. I'd say we create a "Machinae Forum member" style / clothing label and make millions.

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 11:03:26 pm »
I don't get why guys get all worked up/excited when they meet girl gamers. It's perhaps they are antisocial geeks.
If i meet a girl who plays games, i treat them as i would anybody else. Doesn't make a difference to me.

thank you.  thats how it should be.

I love how fashion and marketing people "discover" subcultures to make tons of money. And even more the fact that there are millions of spineless lemmings following every trend they create. As long as it works, why not. I'd say we create a "Machinae Forum member" style / clothing label and make millions.
the problem is, nobody would want to look like one of us.

ok, that was a lie.  people would want to look like us.  just not Fallout.