Author Topic: More girl gamer rubbish...  (Read 23248 times)

Chaosopher

Re: More girl gamer rubbish...
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2006, 01:38:40 am »
Does it make any difference? If not I really don't mind.
Too laid-bak for my own good I guess  ;)

Offline Фраеон

• Je zuigt lul
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2006, 01:58:02 am »
FFX was the FF game I was talking about. I played 9 too, but it doesn't compare to the superior graphics and speech in X. FFX had a good storyline, very epik...some people don't like FF games because they have too deep a plot and not enough hack-slash...! Personally I like games that have a plot  ::)

I like plot. I just hate tedious overdrawn battle segments. Something, which every FF is full of.

And please, do play some Planescape: Torment. I can guarantee you that the depth and uniqueness of the plot is something you'll never see in an FF.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:59:55 am by Фраэон »
A universe where there was no War of Independence because British colonial policy was more enlightened. An American Civil War after which Lincoln wasn't assassinated. A Second World War in which Hitler was. Or where the whole planet was invaded by, I don't know, space lizards or something.

Chaosopher

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2006, 02:43:45 am »
I can understand where you're coming from-some people just don't like turn-based battle systems. I do. I enjoy it immensely.
I like planning out a strategy on a really tough mother of a boss, and not having to worry about bashing the appropriate buttons fast enough/at the right time.
Final Fantasy is one of those games that rewards good gameplay-gotta love the movie sequences interspersed throughout the game  ;)
On the other end of the scale, I also thoroughly enjoy a good game of CODUO. Nothing like a bash-kill on a camper!  :o

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:37 am »
I can understand where you're coming from-some people just don't like turn-based battle systems. I do. I enjoy it immensely.
I like planning out a strategy on a really tough mother of a boss, and not having to worry about bashing the appropriate buttons fast enough/at the right time.
Final Fantasy is one of those games that rewards good gameplay-gotta love the movie sequences interspersed throughout the game  ;)
On the other end of the scale, I also thoroughly enjoy a good game of CODUO. Nothing like a bash-kill on a camper!  :o

CoD2 ftw. :P

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2006, 03:58:31 am »

+1 for referencing a game i got you back into playing.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 03:59:15 am »

+1 for referencing a game i got you back into playing.

-1 FFS LOL

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2006, 08:34:06 am »
If you want story and plot you see movies and read books!

Games are not supposed to have a purpose!

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Chaosopher

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2006, 09:51:43 am »
I beg to differ.  ;)

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2006, 11:01:31 am »
I'm not a big fan of FFX's characterisation. Call me fangirlish, but I think it's gone downhill since FFVI. VII was a better game overall than VI, but the characterisation just fell a little short. It peaked again with IX, but FFX was terrible. Mostly due to the awful voice acting.

I think the sprites in VI had much more attention to character, and the lack of high-end graphics left more time for more imaginative dialogue and character development. Kefka's laugh, Locke's headband washed up on a beach, the Opera scene, Edgar's finger wagging... It's all top class stuff :-)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:03:29 am by Kasumi-Astra »

Offline Фраеон

• Je zuigt lul
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2006, 11:47:29 am »

Again...Fallout has turn-based battle. Silent Storm has turn-based battle. Technically speaking, even Torment has turn-based battle, though there are no pauses between turns and you have to pause the game manually. That is not my problem.

And off I go, here's the reason why I don't like Final Fantasy.

My problem is the whole silly notion of "Okay, we take two steps here in the desert and we're attacked! Now we have a line here and you guys have a line there". First of all, RANDOM battles with no way of preventing them. At least give me a skill I can use to prevent the constant effing tedious stream of random battles. Second, my problem is not in strategic battle but LACK of it. I can't place my units anywhere,  I can't tell my guys that I want a headshot, I can't tell them to go mine the entrance to that shack so that when a burly guy enters, he's screwed. Uh, no can do. All I have is a menu with ATTACK, MAGIC and possibly FLEE but the last option can't be used 99% of the time you really need it.

Come on, even the first Pool of Radiance had more strategy to its battles than Final Fantasy games ever had. The only Final Fantasy I've ever felt remotely interested in would be Tactics, but once I heard that it's one of the crappiest game translations known to man, I decided it wouldn't be worth my time considering we're speaking of a game series that emphasizes plot.

I also despise people calling the jRPGs RPGs to begin with, since you do everything except play a role in those games. Might as well start calling FPS games RPGs then. But that's another story for another post. And I truthfully wouldn't have problems playing jRPGs is I didn't see the glaring problems in the gameplay.

AHEM...there's sand on my boots.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:57:11 am by Фраэон »
A universe where there was no War of Independence because British colonial policy was more enlightened. An American Civil War after which Lincoln wasn't assassinated. A Second World War in which Hitler was. Or where the whole planet was invaded by, I don't know, space lizards or something.

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2006, 12:50:46 pm »
All I have is a menu with ATTACK, MAGIC and possibly FLEE but the last option can't be used 99% of the time you really need it.

Well you know in FFX Tidus (and everybody else, actually) could learn an ability called Flee which afaik would let you escape all the time as long as you weren't in a story-related boss battle of course.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2006, 01:54:52 pm »
I agree about the lack of gameplay in the FF series, at least up to and including 8 (I haven't played an FF since then, so I can't speak about X etc, bear this in mind). They're movies with annoying random battles in between, that break the realism that 7 and 8 in particular try to produce - where do the enemies pop up from? Are you walking around a huge battlefield filled with enemies, even indoors and large empty spaces, only everyone is invisible until you bump into them? And unlike strategy games, turn-based or not, if you're not good enough to beat an enemy/ boss/scenario, all you have to do is wander around doing random battles for several hours, and whatever strategy there was gets crushed by your characters' raw power. The final battles in IV to VIII, which were supposed to be epic and lethal, were pathetic after some leveling and learning the right attacks / finding the right equips. And if someone died, one of your 99 Phoenix Downs took care of that problem.

As books or movies, several of the FF games have a lot of merit. But not really as games, in my taste. The one I've enjoyed the most was FF Tactics Advance, but not when my characters started leveling faster than the enemies, and it turned into another mash-fest that tried to look strategical. In the end it had nothing on Advance Wars.

I also agree with the genre "RPG" being way off real role-playing games. Playing a role doesn't mean your character's entire story is predetermined, but that you create a unique one yourself.

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2006, 02:51:37 pm »
Please try to remember that the only reason Final Fantasy has kept it's formula the same is because it sells. You've seen what happened with FFXII where they made a radical change to the tried and tested formula, and the fans hated it.
Final Fantasy is successful because it keeps to the same spirit of the original. Formulaic, yes, but also very familiar and easy to understand. Square keeps coming back to this design because it means that the people that buy the games can use the skills they've learned in the previous games to play, and still have some new gameplay elements introduced to liven things up. Then there's always a new story and new characters. Not fantastically plotty but accessible and easy to enjoy.

Is there any wonder why Final Fantasy continues to be a huge brand in Japan and around the world? Of course not, because it always plays by the same rules which are easy to understand.

If you want more advanced RPGs by the same tallent, try Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tatics or Vagrant Story. Remember, complexity, difficulty or even straight sales figures are not the only measures of a good game. Final Fantasy, Fallout, Diablo, Bauldur's Gate and all the other famous RPGs are all great games that all come highly recommended that have these in different measures. It's just down to which ones you enjoy more.

Offline Фраеон

• Je zuigt lul
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:23 pm »
Please try to remember that the only reason Final Fantasy has kept it's formula the same is because it sells.

Not trying to dispute that the ubiquitous rule of supply and demand is at work here.

And I didn't say "I don't like Final Fantasy because all those games are same in the end". What I did do was complain about the formula itself (which I consider asinine) and wondering what it is that makes the formula so popular.

Oh, and by the way, Diablo isn't what I would consider an RPG either. It's hack'n'slash, sure, and it has levels. But roleplaying? Nada.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 04:34:36 pm by Фраэон »

Offline Trias

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2006, 03:20:35 pm »
you heard the man! go play planescape!