Author Topic: Tips for recording vocals.  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Niccho

• Trying is the first step towards failure
    • -Niccho-
Tips for recording vocals.
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:01:43 am »
So.. I want to make vocals for my songs, but ive got problems with recording:
The volume is way too low although i have tried using amp and stuff like that.
When the volume is suitable, it distorts or something.
Theres too much background noises.

conclusion: anyone have any tips to make the quality better? (and yes i have a good-ish mic so that shouldnt be a problem)
oh and yes, this is a stupid question and yes im a bit drunk at the moment (like always).

Offline finaleclipse06

• Why can't the plural of 'moose' be 'mooses'????
Re: Tips for recording vocals.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:33:38 am »
how do you connect your mic to your pc/laptop? do you just do a line-in?

MDX

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 10:08:05 am »
Once ive recorded i usually use noise removal to a certain extent, good audacity tool. not too taxing on the recording quality.

otherwise you need soundproofing. quiet small spaces to record usually do the trick.

Offline Niccho

• -Niccho-
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 02:52:11 pm »
how do you connect your mic to your pc/laptop? do you just do a line-in?
well mic in of course

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 08:13:06 pm »
Umm...I feel sorta dumb. :P I've heard of line-in, but I've never heard the term mic-in used before. Is it similar to line-in, except using a mic?

Offline Kernel

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 10:26:25 pm »
Well, the Line-In port ist the one you connect sources with line-level signals to (like CD players or tape decks or whatever device that has a Line-Out), and the Mic-In is the one you connect microphones. This one provides a small amount of electricity to power the microphone (at least that's what I think), which is especially needed for condensor mics (or whatever they're called).
Most Laptops and some USB-Soundcards only have one port for both.

The problem is that the Mic-In of a PC sound card has poor quality and a very low signal level, and produces much noise, too.
Some cards have a "Mic Boost" function to compensate this, but it also "boosts" the noise and can lead to clipping and distortion. I think those ports are made for simple voice recording only (like when talking with a headset), but not for music or vocals.

I have tried connecting a good microphone that works very well on PA setups (one made by AKG) directly to the Mic-In. Well, it sounds better than my crappy PC mic, but there's still the problem with the low signal and the high noise level.

I think the only solution to that is getting a Pre-Amp or something (maybe an audio mixer) to get the level right without too much noise. This one would connect to the Line-In, then. It has to be adjusted to every recording because a level that's too high will lead to distortion, and one too low will not produce the best sound you can get. But I've never tried that (though I'm planning to), so I can't tell you anything about it.

The other way is trying to clear up the recording and adjust the level with some audio tools. Audacity is nice, GoldWave used to be nice, too, but I guess there are better ones out there. But there's the problem that wrong settings can mess up the recording as well...

Just one more thing:
When you mix your vocals with background music youve recorded before, you have to adjust the levels of both so they fit. Don't just try to get the vocals loader. Try turning the background music down a bit. Maybe you just tried to get the vocals loud enough and that lead to the distortion you complained about?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:29:38 pm by Kernel »

Offline Niccho

• -Niccho-
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 12:17:04 am »
Maybe you just tried to get the vocals loud enough and that lead to the distortion you complained about?

no i didnt even try to mix it at that point and all but vocals track were muted.

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 12:46:41 am »
I don't know why I didn't say this earlier. I think it's just b/c I'm braindead. :P To record vocals, I use an M-Audio mixer/pre-amp (not sure of the right term :P). And that goes into a USB port on my PC. And when I record guitar, I simply use my mic to mic my amp, and record it the same way I record vocals. I think it gives better sound quality than doing a line-in w/ my guitar does.

That may help you figure out something that may work better to give better sound quality. Or it may not, but I figured I'd at least say it in case it did help you. :)

the ru

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 04:08:13 pm »
As others have already pointed out, get a preamp and connect it to the line in of your sound card. You might also want to get a real soundcard that can do multi-track recording, etc (although you can fake that with a normal soundcard by recording different sources on the left and right channels). Even better, get a mixer with built-in preamp. Beware though that really cheap mixers often add a certain level of noise; whatever you buy, go for quality right away.