Author Topic: 16bit vs 1024bit  (Read 5364 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: 16bit vs 1024bit
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 05:45:45 pm »
I've played through Half-Life three times in an attempt to understand what's so great about it, and each time I find myself wondering exactly where "its own merits" are. So, if you could kindly tell me exactly what makes it so great, I promise I'll play through it one more time looking out for these things (although I really shouldn't have to; good things should sort of make themselves known).
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 12:32:18 am »
I enjoyed Half Life but I'll never understand how it eclipsed System Shock 2 in popularity and outsold it just like Doom did to System Shock.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 02:12:59 am »
Oh, I had fun playing it, but nothing about it struck me as exceptional.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 02:50:03 pm »
According to Wikipedia, Half Life was the first FPS to have the entire plot told without the use of cut scenes or narration. Essentially, you're a silent spectator looking in on the plot.

Half Life doesn't have the most complex plot in the world, but it's the style in which it's told and the setting that makes it believable. The level design and the techology seen in the game (set pieces, arms, computers) made brought a sense of familiarity to the game, putting it in a context that the player would understand first hand.

Then you're forgetting the modability of Half Life. To play Counter Strike, you needed Half Life, and that is why Half Life sold so much.

If you play a game expecting it to be crap, of course it will be crap. Comparing games to other games that you love will always leave you disappointed, especially if they're aimed at different markets and are meant to play differently. Stop being fanboys, many great games have been overshadowed by other great games. Stop crying over spilt milk and get over it.

Lexx

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 06:10:46 pm »
I thought Half-Life was fucking awesome.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 06:18:23 pm »
just fyi, I wasn't expecting the game to be crap. I was expecting it to be great because all my friends told me it was great and it sold so many copies. It turned out to be mediocre.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 10:03:06 pm »
just fyi, I wasn't expecting the game to be crap. I was expecting it to be great because all my friends told me it was great and it sold so many copies. It turned out to be mediocre.

I'd say it was much better than mediocre. But even being super fucking awesome still doesn't get you up to the plane of existance were DX/SS are.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 12:21:09 am »

I told you why it sold so many.

Half Life is not mediocre. Why don't you tell me why it's mediocre without comparing it to any other game?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 12:27:28 am »
Because I can't think of anything it did exceptionally well. Maybe mediocre is too harsh; it was a good game. But it was just good, that's it. Didn't do anything super great. It didn't do anything horribly, but there's nothing really exceptional about it.

Objectivity.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 06:14:58 am »
Because I can't think of anything it did exceptionally well. Maybe mediocre is too harsh; it was a good game. But it was just good, that's it. Didn't do anything super great. It didn't do anything horribly, but there's nothing really exceptional about it.

Objectivity.

i call it Halo Syndrome.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.