Author Topic: When i'm not feeling all heroic (Nickname Thread)  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
When i'm not feeling all heroic (Nickname Thread)
« on: June 06, 2006, 06:07:03 am »
I tend to my little helpers.

http://hazul.net/machinae/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=354

This was the old thread.

Question is : What is the origin of everyone's nicknames ?

- Bateman's because he's the main protogist in the novel American Pshyco. (I mean, duh.)
- Smeagol (Fiindil) was because his mates called him a 2faced bastard and he took that as a compliment. And oh, its his fav char in LOTR.

and UHM (http://forum.machinaesupremacy.com/index.php?topic=901.msg29800#msg29800) go there if you need more info.

But, new people joined and i think its about time we'd talk about it again.

Or not.

Thats -fine- with me.

okay i'm not going to start first so SOMEONE better start talking.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:24:58 am by Radicz0r »

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
Re: When i'm not feeling all heroic
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 06:22:33 am »
not12x, short for Not one To Cross, comes from an America's Army tournament i played in when i had a spotless record- i killed every single enemy i crossed, and never died, the whole tournament.  after that, not one to cross became not12x, and it stuck.

and teh barcode is fun.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: When i'm not feeling all heroic
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 06:24:40 am »
* Radicz0r taps fiindil
"So you were right after all."

"No, thats five bucks. Did i say ten ? I meant five."

Offline not12x

Re: When i'm not feeling all heroic (Nickname Thread)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 06:44:56 am »
were you guys betting on my name?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:03:45 pm »
Let's see if I can find the origin of my name.

Well, once upon a time there was a man. He called himself Torp, and set out. He found himself a woman, and had kids. These took his name, and so did their kids. At some point it became tradition for the first male child not only to take this name, but also take his personal name from his grandfather. And that way it went for generations, until a woman named Mona-Lisa decided that she didn't like the name her son would be given if the tradition was continued. The name Torp survived, though, and this son of Mona Lisa got a son. He took the name Torp for last name as well, and when he joined the MaSu forums, he used this as a nick.

As for the Bizarro-thing, I decided that instead of answering to some stupid critisism for something stupid I wrote, I should claim that it wasn't me, but Bizarro-Torp who wrote it. And so it has stuck until I de-lazify myself and change it back to just plain old Torp.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:24:46 pm »
i was creating a new gmail name. i wanted to find a name that i could use for quite a while without getting bored of it. i decided it needed to be something good. so... i made it somethinggood. great story, huh?

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 02:00:48 pm »
Spider - Lead singer of Powerman 5000
Chii - From Chobits

To be honest I'm not that fond of my name but I can't think of anything better so I'm sticking with it :P

MDX

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 02:07:22 pm »
i am MDX.

End. :D!

Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 02:20:31 pm »

Kinda :D

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
Re: When i\\\'m not feeling all heroic (Nickname Thread)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 02:23:22 pm »
Akakori (Laser)

Everyone knows the story: Laser Turret is my login name. It's an old old name I used to use on an RP chatroom back when MSNchat was still around. It was born from copying the style of names given to characters in the RPG, Evolution (characters like Linear Cannon, Chain Gun, Gre Nade).

I dropped the Turret a long time ago - wishing to lose my connection to those dark days of my past and not wanting to have people think I was a C&C nut or something.

Along came Akakori; my new RP name for Warcraft and D&D. It's Japanese for Red Ice (I have red hair and I like Frost spells, simple as that). It's a name I now use everywhere (sometimes being called Aka IRL); but here, only here, am I still known as Laser, so I keep it in brackets so that no one forgets me.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:03:42 pm by Akakori (Laser) »

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 03:28:42 pm »
I was just in need of a new name so I went thinking for some time.
I like the word "lizard" and then I just needed something to throw in front of it. Finally I decided to go for sticky for God knows what reason.

Offline not12x

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 03:30:10 pm »

Smeagol

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 03:36:38 pm »

Kinda :D
laaaaaaaame

Rad seemed to think it was 'Not Twelve Ex', I had to prove him wrong.

Lexx

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 03:45:58 pm »
I happenened to use Lexx (I was a fan of the show at the time) for a random cahracter on Discworld MUD, I started playing that character a lot so it stuck. Later I got the family name "Rehevkor" on the MUD so I started using both. I use Rehevkor more these days though, more unique.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 03:56:28 pm »
Gaijin is a Japanese word literally meaning "outside person", commonly translated as "foreigner." Gaijin is a short form of the full word gaikokujin. The words can refer to nationality or ethnicity. The word is often the subject of debate as to its appropriateness, particularly in its shortened form.

Since there are specific rules for polite speech in Japanese, and since Japanese people are sensitive to differences in nuance of different speech styles, the use of the word gaijin is usually deliberate, that is, it is either deliberately deployed as a pejorative—as in the terms baka-gaijin (stupid foreigner!) or gaijin-kusai (literally, "it stinks of foreigners"); only used when it is assumed that any non-Japanese present will not understand what is being said—asoko no gaijin ("that foreigner over there"); or used only in situations where its intended meaning—whether neutral or otherwise—will not be ambiguous. The standard form in government and media is gaikokujin.

It is also pointed out that gaijin can suggest "stranger," "outsider," or even "enemy."
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?