Author Topic: The Pirate Bay has been raided  (Read 14520 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
The Pirate Bay has been raided
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:36:19 pm »
According to the news, The Pirate Bay (a major swedish torrent-site, for those who didn't know) was raided by the police today. Two people were detained for interrogation, and several servers taken. Among the servers taken were servers not directly connected to The Pirate Bay, among them the webservers for PiratByrån, a lobby group working for the rights of filesharers, and according to the Norwegian paper VG, a server or servers belonging to the swedish political party PiratPartiet. The website of PiratPartiet, www2.piratpartiet.se, does not mention their servers being taken, although the rather spartan look of the page might indicate that this is true (I've never checked their homepage before, so I cannot tell).

Press Release from PiratPartiet after the raid
The Pirate Party critizises the police for faulty search and seizure

Today the Swedish Police raided The Pirate Bay, one of the worlds largest bittorrent trackers, seizuring computers and other property. Despite the fact that in repeated cases Swedish courts has judged The Pirate Bays activities as legal, the police choose to yield to pressure from the media companies.

Acoording to one of the site's operators, the police wishes to test the legality of the site's activities.

"What company would accept this treatment?", asks Rickard Falkvinge, leader of the Pirate Party. "What company would accept that the police interrupted their whole operation, before it was proven that said operation was illegal? The case is that The Pirate Bay has not commited any crime. They are disliked by major American media companies, that is correct. But it is not illegal to be disliked, and it is definitely not a reason for the Swedish Police to march in and close one of the mayor gathering sites for youths."

"This is exactly the kind of raids that the Pirate Party wants to stop", Rickard finishes. "When society sends the police on it's youths because they listen to music and watches film, then it is not the youth who are misbehaving. Then it is society that needs to get a grip."

I've never used the Pirate Bay myself, but I don't like this...
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
Re: The Pirate Bay has been raided
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:42:15 pm »
All flags shall henceforth be flown at half mast for the remainder of the day...  :'(
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Lysander

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:47:18 pm »
Nooooooooo!
I loved that site.
..Bastards.

Offline ПФББЧ

• Has lovely moobs
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:56:23 pm »
AFAIK, the authorities will have to give them their shit back when they discover that they havent done anything illegal. Also, Piratbyrån is an awesome word. ;D
^____________________^
               \__/

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:01:45 pm »
Yes, as the press release stated, the Pirate Bay has not done anything that is in breach with swedish law.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

Offline Frigger

• hi xD
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:27:33 pm »
pirate bay rocks :/. their legal section in which they ridicule all those lawyer-copyright-fuckers who complain about pirate bay is among the funniest things on the goddamn internet.

does anyone know another good torrent tracker? just in case... i've always benn using pirate bay....
*bounce*

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:29:31 pm »
No, I don't. And if I did, I wouldn't mention them. There has already been one thread locked here today because of such questions.

Offline Frigger

• hi xD
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 08:38:12 pm »
welcome to the internet(TM).  (c) MicroSony
*bounce*

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 08:41:40 pm »
Unlike suprnova.org, they won't go down without a fight, since they're having their whole political thing (through Pirate Party and Piratbyran [spelling?]) going...

Offline ПФББЧ

• Has lovely moobs
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 10:41:41 pm »
suprnova had hosting/bandwith problems from the getgo. They just descided to call it a day, and accept piles of loot for endorsing that exeem shite.
^____________________^
               \__/

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 11:15:13 pm »
Whoah, piratebay is cool man =[

Offline Kobi

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 01:38:24 am »
This will lead to nothing. I seriously doubt the swedish law will do anything. The antipiracy agency have plenty of times tried to get people to jail with screenshots as evidence, wich never helped. They have less evidence this time. Its just a desperate debate meassure. But it has already backfired. Only during the wednsday the political party, piratpartiet gained more then 200 registerd members.

Without going into whats leagal and not, this is just a last breath from an industry that don't want to evolve.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 03:14:27 pm »
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 03:15:39 pm »
it was my evil antipirate hippos bhahahaha

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 03:29:27 pm »
But you are a pirate. A SID pirate moomin. You must support your brothers in piracy.