Author Topic: Keyboard/Synth Help.. What to buy, what to buy?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
Keyboard/Synth Help.. What to buy, what to buy?
« on: May 26, 2006, 05:26:54 pm »
I'm a beginner keyboardist. Currently I have an old Casio which I've been learning on for quite some time and I added a Korg Micro Synth to my collection a while back as well. My experience is highly limited, but I have self-taught myself to play well enough to play live with a band. Basically, I'm saying I still have a ways to go and my knowledge of Synths in particular is fairly limited... But since I'm playing live (and not doing too shabby either!) I need decent sounding equipment.

This all came about since I've been practicing in my room for months and my best friends, whom all happen to be in the same band, lost their keyboardist. I was drafted and were all pretty happy with the result so far.

Regardless, my problem comes into play here: While I've taught myself to let my fingers fly semi-decently (lol) I still have little technical experience with Synths. Therefor, I really have -no idea- what to buy.

I believe Gordon uses a pair of MO6, which I was actually looking at prior to doing a search since I think I'd rather a full size synthesizer over a standard keyboard. The price seems a bit steep on them though at roughly 1400 USD. If I could find one for 1000 USD, I'd probably get it simply knowing one of my deities uses one :P. I'd prefer to find something in the 600-700 USD range, with 1000 USD being my cap unless something was just so magical that I needed to toss out a few extra bucks.

Anywho, you get the basics of my plight. Any suggestions from people with some actual experience would be most excellent. Thanks :)

Edit: Please forgive the quickly typed post. At work and gotta make my posts quick :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 05:29:09 pm by Drakonis »

MDX

Re: Keyboard/Synth Help.. What to buy, what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 05:30:10 pm »
would love to hear you key it out some time dude, you sound just like me, only you perform live, the guy i work with we're still in basement stages.. only without the basement. im intrigued to hear feedback on this thread, because im in the same boat. so yeah. speak on gordon/other synth profits!

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 05:34:24 pm »
Hehe, yeah. I'm actually going to be taking some piano lessons soon since I think I pretty much stink since unfortunately the way I've been playing is simply through repetition. Either slightly reworking the old keyboard parts (or even taking an age and a half to come up with a new one) and practicing it until I can play it through repetition.

I'm defenitely not skilled at all yet, but I have come to realize I'm extremely serious and won't be stopping anytime soon. I would like to be able to do alot more than background rythms and simple synth (which, shockingly can sound so cool when you're playing with a full band), but thats gunna come with time.

First step: I need a new weapon. :)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:36:33 pm »
And hey, when I get off the bloody Casio I'll probably record something just for giggles and post it. :)

And hopefully, given feedback, that'll be tomarrow if Sam Ash carries the synthesizer I decide on since they got a 12-month no interest/no payment on the Sam Ash card. Muaha. :)

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:43:32 pm »
Thread moved to Musician's section.

;D

Lysander

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:48:53 pm »
Hehe, yeah. I'm actually going to be taking some piano lessons soon since I think I pretty much stink since unfortunately the way I've been playing is simply through repetition. Either slightly reworking the old keyboard parts (or even taking an age and a half to come up with a new one) and practicing it until I can play it through repetition.

I'm defenitely not skilled at all yet, but I have come to realize I'm extremely serious and won't be stopping anytime soon. I would like to be able to do alot more than background rythms and simple synth (which, shockingly can sound so cool when you're playing with a full band), but thats gunna come with time.

First step: I need a new weapon. :)

I wouldn't worry so much about buying a synth just yet. I'd concentrate on developing your ability to play beforehand. Buy a cheapo keyboard first (not AS cheap as what you have) and start from there. Work your way up is all i can say. :)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 11:11:12 pm »
From what I've seen, most companies are labeling their equipment "keyboard" or "synthesizer" simply based on if it has onboard speakers or not - which I could care less on.

The korg is actually pretty awesome, was around 400 bucks. It's just too small to be a primary instrument - but it has made a world of difference than the casio-only keyboardist they had before, hehe. But yeah, the Casio is... yuck. It sounds cheezy. It is cheezy. The voices aren't that fantastic and the options are just so limited on the thing. Plus, I really have no control over the sound unlike the mini-korg.

As per upgrading, I agree - I don't need something like a MOTIF or a complete work-station, but I would like something thats going to perform well on stage even once my skills are more advanced. I know even if I get a great learner board, its still gunna cost me 300-500 dollars, I'd rather throw in the few extra hundred and have something that will last me that I wont, a year down the road (or less) say "No no, I need to upgrade so I can do THIS". Keyboards are quite frankly expensive as crap. Golden crap. Laced with diamonds.

I'm expecting a hefty kick in the wallet, but I agree, I don't want to go WAY overboard. But like I said, if I'm spending hundreds I'd rather go the extra 50 yards and get more bang (and more importantly, more life) for my buck.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 11:12:18 pm »
Oh, and I apologize about posting in the wrong forum. I saw "music" and just connected keyboards with music. I never really thought of myself as a musician, lol. Just a beginner thats been learning through repetition. I guess I'm a newb musician. Wewt. Wonder what abilities I get at level 2...

MDX

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 11:14:10 pm »
no need =) just keepin the forum clean thats all!

Offline potatismos

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 03:03:36 am »
i think www.harmony-central.com has some reviews on synths