Author Topic: Amiga 500! Ah, the nostalgia...  (Read 5512 times)

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
Amiga 500! Ah, the nostalgia...
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:21:54 am »
All this listening to Machinae Supremacy lately (and in particular The Great Gianna Sisters) has made me experience waves upon waves of nostalgia.
You see, my first encounter with video gaming in my childhood was the Amiga 500 (having been born slightly too late to use a C64), and after that I've been more or less hooked.
I remember with fondness old classics like Lemmings, Wings of Fury, Midnight Resistance, Xenon 2 and Rockstar Ate My Hamster, and my mate and I would spend hours upon hours playing Bloodwych. And, of course, Great Gianna Sisters, the game that hooked even my mother and sister. These games will always have a special place in my heart. I've tried downloading a few converted games, as well as experimenting with an emulator, but somehow it still ain't the same without the Amiga and a joystick.
Any others that grew up with the Amiga and adored it to pieces like I did? Post yer thoughts and favorite games here!
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
Re: Amiga 500! Ah, the nostalgia...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:30:06 am »
FUCK. YES.

First computer I ever played and I loved it. Favorite games:

Chaos Engine, Escape From Colditz, Hunter, Lemmings, DPAINT III, cannon fodder, Robocod...

chompy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:30:46 am »
I was poor I never had any of these Commander 64 and imega 500 thingy-me-bobs back in my day, we used the TV for entertainment. First console was the NES

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:47:56 am »
I was born too late also. But I've played lots of C64 anyway because someone let me have his for a while (read years).
So, I've played quite a bunch of great games. Some of them unheard of by most people.

There's a Spitfire game for instance, and I'm not talking about the one that's famous.
I don't know how many times I've talked about Spitfire and as soon as I mention sideview they go wtf...

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Trias

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 02:59:06 pm »
well, at home I grew up with the c64, but some years later a friend of mine got an Amiga, and that's where I spent most of my afternoons before I got my first PC. haha, wings of fury :) we always played with a cheat, though...

Smeagol

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:29:29 pm »
FUCK. YES.

Chaos Engine

<3

World of Legends - Second best RPG ever.

Offline Aurin

• The Wired
    • aurinsusi.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 06:53:25 pm »
If a girl next door wouldn't have introduced me to their old Amiga 500, I doubt I wouldn't be listening to MaSu now. A500 was an ancient model already back then... It was by the time of SNES when I was playing Giana Sisters [of which my friend had a copy of], and when the first PS came out, I moved to SNES... Always one step behind.
I just can't remember all the otehr game names anymore 'xcept TGGS, and I doubt the same A500 is working nowadays... Or the game disks. 1934, Virus, Outrun, something like those. Oh childhood.

And of course, MaSu's TGGS was an INSTANT TURNON. :3

Quote from: laser
Who the heck are you?

Offline dgt83

• MySpace
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:08:59 am »
Ive been lucky enough to own a few of the ace computers back in the day, such as the commodore vic20, the c64, and the amiga500. Stayed as long as i could with an amiga1200 but eventually it couldnt stand up to speccy bill gates and his evil empire so i ended up with a pc, but i do miss my amiga sometimes. Spent ages on games like cannon fodder, sensi world of soccer, walker, monkey island series, moonstone, super startdust, skidmarks, and loads of others. The amiga was great for making tunes on also with programs such as protracker and DIGIbooster - Apart from modplug, i could never really find a decent tracker program on the pc that could rival those two...

If you are registered with Myspace, comments/critisism would be greatly appreciated...

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:32:38 pm »
born and raised with C64 and amiga!
FUCK. YES.

Chaos Engine, Escape From Colditz, Hunter, Lemmings, DPAINT III, cannon fodder, Robocod...

You sir know what you are talking about! Me and my brother used to play chaos engine everyday, we even played it through everytime Oo its creepy when i think about it (oh btw my favourite character was the doctor and merc :D) we did the same with games like : Dogs of war, Cabal and do i dare say it!? Double dragon :  rosetta stone ( dont remember the spelling T_T) alcatraz, yes i played moonstone too ( one time my amiga "ate" the diskette so i had to fish it out with a pair of scissors, and now it has some cool battle damage!)   and as for c64, oh boy! my personal favourite and the best game possible every made! The Last ninja, oh yeah! even got a t-shirt to prove it :D too bad i dont have a camera so i cant post a pic of me ;) too bad for you guys/girls that is hehe. Also remember games like rambo 3 and into the eagles nest, bards tale : tales of the unknown! Summer games, skate or die, barbarian, fist 2, IK+... and more, damn i wish i was young again ;)

better stop now before i dust off my c64 and start playing!

Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 07:18:15 pm »
In Chaos Engine, it was all about the Preacher.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 08:48:18 pm »
Yep, also started my computing career with an A500.

I also wouldn't be a machinae fanboy without Turrican I and II (and later III which wasn't that addictive) and its Chris Hülsbeck soundtrack.

Offline Miles_Ex_Machina

• Sven Vollfied, once gentleman, always a gentleman
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:18:26 pm »
Am I the only one who started his gaming, and computing career from Atari 800XL ? I was 5 years old then. Barely remember anything. The only game that carved into my memory for some unknown reason was "Blue Max". Maybe because it was the most "colourful". Dunno. A WWII like air arcade thingy. There was also some Star Wars game, or something. Not a bad one I must admit, kinda freelance like. Green Berets something, really tough game. Ah and that guy that was digging for diamonds. And another one kinda like Indiana Jones, but with skeletons lol. Uh, uh! And there was another cool one where you had to take off 5 (or was it 4?) spaceships and then go kill something... What can I say? It's been 16 years! Then Sega Megadrive 8bit (or 16?!?) - Syndicate rocked hehe - cyberpunk pwnz all, then PC, then N64, PC still, X-BOX, PC again, PS2, new PC soon (when I get the money)...

Yeah, wanna hear a joke? On the tapes those games were recorded on stood a brand "Microsoft". So the great Bill Allmighty must have started his career by pirating Atari games?! :D

Love kills time, time kills love...

chompy

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 10:47:18 pm »
Yep, also started my computing career with an A500.

I also wouldn't be a machinae fanboy without Turrican I and II (and later III which wasn't that addictive) and its Chris Hülsbeck soundtrack.
lol lol  :o :o :o :o :o that read to me with

Yep, also started my computing career with an AS400. you had a mainframe, cool!

my compting was starting with a 486 and a game called sam 'n' max I still have the orginal disks and manuals and boxes too. This is not to be confused with my console games

/sleepy

Offline Trias

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 01:01:45 am »
Am I the only one who started his gaming, and computing career from Atari 800XL ? I was 5 years old then. Barely remember anything. The only game that carved into my memory for some unknown reason was "Blue Max". Maybe because it was the most "colourful". Dunno. A WWII like air arcade thingy. There was also some Star Wars game, or something. Not a bad one I must admit, kinda freelance like. Green Berets something, really tough game. Ah and that guy that was digging for diamonds...

hm I know most of the games from the c64  :)
Blue max for example. and green berret was indeed very hard, i think i didnt't even beat it with infinite lifes :) and the one with the diamonds could be boulder dash...

Offline Miles_Ex_Machina

• Sven Vollfied, once gentleman, always a gentleman
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 04:43:57 pm »
hm I know most of the games from the c64  :)
Blue max for example. and green berret was indeed very hard, i think i didnt't even beat it with infinite lifes :) and the one with the diamonds could be boulder dash...

C64 and Atari probably had had many similar titles. I regret never playing Elite. They say it was a really cool and well-made game for its time. I'm a huge fan of freelance space simulation (and other freelance games). And Elite was the forefather of that genre. Too bad I never had C64, thus no chance of playing that one... :(

I recall some more games, ehehe, Agent U.S.A for one. ^_^ And a lot of arcade games like Jets'n'Gunz. I recall a Raiden like game (maybe it was Raiden, who knows...). And Karateka! That was a fun game. Ah yeah - Drop Zone. Never figured out what the game was all about. And that game with diamonds was indeed Boulder Dash! ;D And that game that reminded me of Indiana was Montezuma's Revenge! Also recall Pole Position, an F1 racing game. And getaway! GTA forefather. ^_^ There was a really cool game that looks exactly like Jets'n'Gunz, with a great graphix (for Atari) and a really cool soundtrack, but I can't recall its name. :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 04:54:56 pm by Miles_Ex_Machina »

Love kills time, time kills love...