8 (15.1%)
Wii
32 (60.4%)
PS3
5 (9.4%)
None
8 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Which next gen console(s) will you get?  (Read 16485 times)

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
Re: Which next gen console(s) will you get?
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2006, 08:06:04 am »
don't you know better than to take him seriously by now? :p

qft

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2006, 09:12:45 am »
don't you know better than to take him seriously by now? :p

he seemed pretty serious.

then again, i'm sleep-deprived.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline dgt83

• MySpace
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2006, 11:08:21 pm »
After seeing trailers for games such as Assasins Creed and Heavenly Sword, I am quite looking forward to getting my hands on a ps3... Yeah, the £425 price tag for a basic console (no HD- I believe) is a bit on the steep side, but as SomethingGood said you gotta think of the fact that it contans a Blu-ray drive (which i think retails near the £600 mark at least) so then I guess its not a bad price to pay.

Will the Blu-ray disc take off do you think?

If you are registered with Myspace, comments/critisism would be greatly appreciated...

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2006, 11:47:58 pm »
Will the Blu-ray disc take off do you think?

No. Just like every other format Sony has tried to push, it will most likely be a misserable failure. The only stuff being released on Blu-ray so far is titles from studios owned by Sony. Everything else will probably end up on HD DVD.

I know my parents won't have anything to do with bluray, they are still choked over a Sony rep selling them beta many many many many many years ago and stating that VHS would never displace beta.  :P
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline dgt83

• MySpace
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2006, 12:56:00 am »
...and betamax was the better format (but thats another argument)!   ;)

If you are registered with Myspace, comments/critisism would be greatly appreciated...

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2006, 06:28:50 am »
It might have been better, but Sony are dickheads about their proprietary formats and that's why they always fail.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2006, 04:38:40 pm »
The Playstation 3 "core" package will support HD but will ship without the HDMI interface. You will have to use the existing composite interface, I believe.

And no, as it stands I can't see one good reason to buy a PS3. More proprietry, restricted formats, overly complex and expensive hardware, technology that means nothing and offers nothing to it's target audience. And to top it off Sony is further confusing the matter by suggesting that the PS3 is a personal computer to justify the price and the redundant technology.

Sony has spent a decade at the top of the market by breaking the rules that Nintendo imposed on the gaming market. Now, Sony is beginning to impose it's "one entertainment device under Sony" philosophy  on the games industry by cramming all of their interests in one product. Because all the family would rather a Sony did everything for them, right? >_>;
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:48:59 pm by Kasumi-Astra »

Offline Miles_Ex_Machina

• Sven Vollfied, once gentleman, always a gentleman
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2006, 07:28:29 pm »
Those arrogant bastards! Just like mini-soft, but on the console scene. I hope Capcom and Konami decide to support Nintendo this time ( although I doubt it ), those two companies were the reason I actually bought PS2. All the rest on PS2 is just sheer rubbish.

Love kills time, time kills love...

Offline kellerkind

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2006, 10:29:25 pm »
And no, as it stands I can't see one good reason to buy a PS3. More proprietry, restricted formats, overly complex and expensive hardware, technology that means nothing and offers nothing to it's target audience. And to top it off Sony is further confusing the matter by suggesting that the PS3 is a personal computer to justify the price and the redundant technology.
Not to forget that a very important part of the hardware, the Cell CPU, is crap for games.
I've read that the READ speed of the cell is 16 MB/s. For comparison, the WRITE speed is somewhere in the 3 GB/s range. On a good CPU, READ speed should at least equal the write speed. Not actually the case here...

But as if that wasn't enough, the Cell is consuming so much power -> producing so much heat, that Sony has to a) make the power supply unit external, and b) lower the clockspeed of the cell from the originally targeted 3.2-3.5 Ghz to 2.8 Ghz.

In other words, the PS3 will be much more expensive, hotter, and might in fact end up being slower than the 360 when it comes to the CPU, unless the game developers manage to make really good usage of the multiple cores.

Of course, due to the extreme popularity of the PS2 and the strong developer support, Sony will nevertheless sell PS3 like hot cakes, no matter how crappy the console might be.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2006, 02:31:38 am »
Not to forget that a very important part of the hardware, the Cell CPU, is crap for games.
I've read that the READ speed of the cell is 16 MB/s. For comparison, the WRITE speed is somewhere in the 3 GB/s range. On a good CPU, READ speed should at least equal the write speed. Not actually the case here...

That FUD was debunked already: The "Local Memory" is the RSX graphics memory. The Cell shouldn't need to read this. The PS3 would still work even if the Cell couldn't read this memory at all. This memory is where you store textures and other graphics data.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2006, 05:21:47 am »
bought myself a 26" acer hdtv this week (the third hdtv in my household, lol). got myself an xbox 360 today.

anyone who believes sony's "the next generation starts with the ps3" bullshit should come to my house today. my brother's mate brought his 360 over, using my dad's 42" plasma. my brother was on his 360 with his 32" lcd, and i was on my 26" lcd (seperate rooms, communicating using the headsets). co-op graw. best gaming experience ever.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2006, 08:31:45 am »
bought myself a 26" acer hdtv this week (the third hdtv in my household, lol). got myself an xbox 360 today.

anyone who believes sony's "the next generation starts with the ps3" bullshit should come to my house today. my brother's mate brought his 360 over, using my dad's 42" plasma. my brother was on his 360 with his 32" lcd, and i was on my 26" lcd (seperate rooms, communicating using the headsets). co-op graw. best gaming experience ever.

i'm afraid i must admit slight droolage. as long as you're throwing money around, make sure you get bn some flowers or something.

also, i had no idea acer still existed. good for them, i think. my acer computer was the last one which had good games out of the box, which made me excited about new computers solely for what new games might come with them, and which subseuently meant i was disappointed when the only decent non-trial-basis, spyware-ridden, wannabe-multiplayer, crappy-3d-fest game that's come out in the last decade as standard with windows was space cadet pinball.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.