Author Topic: Do's And Dont's In The Band  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Do's And Dont's In The Band
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 12:36:26 am »
Meh, i think its more important having a good will and enthusiasm towards the music instead of being able to play or not.

Because if you're deticated, you will learn to play.

OH MY GOD this is by far the wisest thing to have ever come out of your big mouth. would give you +1 if i could but as you know you've smited me down in my shoes :D:D:D
Well, i don't brag about my guitar skills when im about to get pwned in a forum discussion, so leave the big mouth stuff.
Something you should know aswell, i never smited you, - at all.

But i just did.

the ru

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 10:53:26 am »
Don't stop rehearsing just because one of the members has a new girlfriend (or boyfriend, I guess).

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 11:51:33 am »
DON'T name yourself after Roman war machines.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 06:12:07 pm »
From my experience the biggest "don't" is do not get front-man syndrome or allow anyone in your band to get this syndrome.

Front-man syndrome is typically formed by the vocalist. While yes, it is true that the front-man will appear to be the leader in terms of to the audience (should a front-man ever develope, intentionally or otherwise); it is not true that this person should run the band.

This trickles down into many more "don'ts", which are usually cause of this. Do not plan everything around YOUR schedule, everyone else has jobs. Do not setup gigs without talking to people. Do not schedule studio time without confirming times with everyone else. Do not get angry if you find a gig or setup a studio time and someone cant play it due to previous obligations, having to work the next morning, etc. Sacrifices must be made, yes, but not always to one persons expense and never the "syndromers" expense.

the ru

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 01:45:05 am »
IMO, the vocalist is the most important member of a band (assuming we're talking about a standard rock 4 or 5 person setup, of course). Not necessarily because he (or she, of course) puts more effort into the band than anyone else, but because he is the link to the audience and is the face and voice people will recognize. Just look at Machinae; they changed the bass player and the drummer, and honestly, no one (or at least very few) really noticed. But what if they'd replace Roberts voice with someone else? It would probably still sound good, but it wouldn't be the same ("is this a cover band, or what?").

We have this problem in my band right now; who should take the role as lead singer (currently we both sing; once we decide to let either take the lead, we'll have to stick with it IMO, for the reason I explained above). My band mate has a far better sounding voice than mine, but mine is better trained (and he doesn't seem to have much interest in improving his) and I believe I'm better at expressing myself through singing (also, since I write most of our material, I have a better idea of what its supposed to sound like). OTOH, he is more social and outgoing and would probably have an easier time communicating with an audience. Then, when new people joins the setting might become unbalanced again. It's a tough choice to make, but we'll have to decide soon how we should develop.

... which brings me to another thing: if you're serious about your newly-founded band, make sure you have something to play. If you're doing covers, pick some songs you all like and learn to play them. If you're writing your own material, just write something. There's no point in waiting for someone to write the best song in the universe; once you've played together for half a year you'll probably have a completely different image of what kind of music you really want to play (and wonder what the hell you were doing, playing that stupid song you wrote first).

Make sure you always have some kind of goal; record a demo, find a gig and rehearse for it, learn to play in 6/7 beat, whatever. Otherwise you'll just end up sitting around doing nothing useful at all, and then you might as well just get rid of the instruments completely and just watch hentai or something. Pick a band name, and try to stick with it (or if you have to change it for some reason, make sure your homepage redirects to the new address - you did set up a homepage, right? How will people otherwise learn about your band, here in the 21st century...). Usually the name change comes at about the same time as the realization of what style you really want to play. At the very least you should be able to agree on a name, and if you can't even decide that there isn't really much point in continuing. Too many promising bands are lost because "we have no instruments, no members, no repertoire, no band name, no gigs, no listeners..." and above all, no one fucking cares (I wonder why? Perhaps they would if you put some effort into it).

Release your first songs for free online (personally, I think all music should be free, but that's another discussion). Try to sell some CDs with your music (our go for about 5 euro, yielding a profit of about 4 euro/CD). Don't order 10000 pressed copies with a 4-color booklet; normal CD-Rs are fine. Of course you won't make a lot from it, but it's one hell of a kick to actually get paid for something you enjoyed doing. It might also help to pay the rent for your rehearsal space, or whatever other band-related expenses you have. Ask around among your friends if you can play (for free, of course) at parties, etc. If you make a good impression they are likely to buy your CD afterwards.

All of this might sound a bit cliche at first, but it really works. This is the point we currently are at with my band, so someone else will have to fill out the rest from here on (maybe some Machinae members would like to share how they came as far as they have).

My personal goal with my current band efforts is to find out how a band can become successful without turning to the recording industry. Besides, sitting around waiting for Virgin to call about the album they want to release with your band is just a waste of time. I guess the key to this is word-to-mouth (just like Machinae), but you'll still have to do most of the promotion yourself. A tip when looking for gigs; call them. Emails just get lost (having an office job, I know how easy it is to postpone "reply to old email" indefinitely).

And yes, the most important thing you should do: have fun!

MDX

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 04:47:32 pm »
Look up indie.

It wasn't always a music genre. Indie stood for independant music, and sounds just like what you're trying to do, get it going without the help of others, or something along those lines.

Offline Tonk

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 05:31:41 pm »
and of course you need some skills, but if you have the interest to join a band you probably have tried playing, just im fully on with rad there attitude > skills cause attitude ----> skills ;)   As for the bass diss id say it depends on the style but mostly it is the most easy thing to play yes

You're a loser. :D!

the ru

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 07:47:25 pm »
Not everyone wants to go indie though, but the first steps should probably be the same anyway. Just saying "no, we can't let anyone listen to our music, they might steal it before we get a record deal" won't lead anywhere.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 08:23:54 pm »
It wasn't always a music genre.
it's not a music genre adskfdsehrn

just because bands like Cursive and Blur all sound the same and happen to be on independent labels doesn't mean there's such  a thing as "indie rock". If anything, indie is a mindset, a "do it yourself" identification that's really what punk is all about.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

the ru

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 11:02:36 pm »
What I don't understand is where the line between "dependent" and "independent" records go. To me it just seems like all bands that claim to be indie really wanted a deal with an established label, but when nothing turned up they just said "oh hell, let's go indie instead".

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 07:09:26 pm »
Even though this frontman syndrome is bad you say, im forced to it, because for instance, if i don't write songs/book gigs and other stuff nobody will do it.

Of course i talk to them before i do stuff.

Offline Cylon

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 11:27:21 pm »
Even though this front man syndrome is bad you say, I’m forced to it, because for instance, if i don't write songs/book gigs and other stuff nobody will do it.

Of course i talk to them before i do stuff.
I’m in the same boat...

as to dos and donts, I would say it is important for every band member to have some basic understanding of the other instruments in the band.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:49:17 pm by Cylon »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2006, 10:13:01 pm »
Yeah, that's always useful !

the ru

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 09:26:56 am »
OMG STOP THE SPAM. :o

That's exactly the kind of substance-lacking posts we don't need! :-[

But yeah, it certainly helps.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 02:23:12 pm »
OMG STOP THE SPAM. :o

That's exactly the kind of substance-lacking posts we don't need! :-[

But yeah, it certainly helps.
Oh man, gime a break..

Allright

Do tune your instrument before a concert, or rehearsal.
Don't drink too much before a concert/rehearsal
Don't just stand there like a haysack on stage :P