Author Topic: Machinae Guitars  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
Machinae Guitars
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:10:31 pm »
Okay, so I tried my best to find a related topic, but there were 14 pages of stuff that I would have had to sort through, so I apologize if this has been done already.

I was just curious as to what sort of equipment the two guitarists (discounting bass) use, as far as guitars are concerned.

I know that Robert uses a Custom EMG81 Fender FatStrat, but I'm more curious about the pickup set that you have installed on there.  Did you install a different set, or is it the standard set that came with the guitar?

And of Gibli's Jackson Kelly KE2, same concern.

See, I'm looking at owning a new guitar before the year's out (perhaps even before the summer's end) and I'm trying to get ideas one what sort of pickups to install on it.  I plan on it being a "low-end" ESP LTD, but I'm still not sure which model I'm going to decide on.

Top picks currently include:
Michael Amott's NINJA-600 LTD
Dave Mustaine's DV-8R LTD

I currently own a Randy Rhoads Jackson RR5, which plays great, but I really desire to expand my guitar catalogue, because when I finally decide to start my band, I do plan on having to switch guitars so that I don't have to retune it between songs and such.

I realize that the guitars that I have lined up for purchase may be fine as they are, but there's always benefit to putting in higher quality pickups, I would imagine, as far as guitar tone are concerned.

I voiced a lot of my concerns in my online journal (specific entry), but I thought I'd get some input from some of you, and maybe even some band members.

What I'm really looking for is a solid ESP brand guitar that plays well and hopefully has 24 frets (which is why I'm leaning towards the DV-8R), but 22 frets would do fine, since that's what I'm currently using.

So...help?
"Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab today!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Otherwise, you are gay!" - DragonForce

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
Re: Machinae Guitars
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 07:54:17 am »

No one?
"Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab today!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Otherwise, you are gay!" - DragonForce

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 04:33:50 am »
Contact the band, because as far as the guts of the guitars are concerned, they're the only one's who can help you. I'm sure Robert would be find answering any questions like that.  :)

All I know about their gear is what they put up on the website.

As far as putting new pickups in is concerned, wait until you actually buy the guitar first. Yeah, there's a chance the pickups may not be as great as you'd like, but would you rather spend money on something you didn't need?

For example, my Epiphone SG has sucky pickups. So, now that I know that, I can go out and find some new decent one's to stick in there. But if I had just bought some pickups with the guitar, without knowing how it sounded, then I would've been out another $50-150.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:02:29 am »
Well, I realize this.  I just figured that the board is as good as any place to ask them, unless e-mail would get me a quicker response.  I know that Robert frequents the board, so I also figured that this would be a decent way to ask him.

Also, I know that ESP makes quality guitars and that the pickups wouldn't lack overall quality  Of course, I'd obviously play the guitar before just swapping out hardware.  Any halfway decent guitarist knows that.  Spending money needlessly is not something an up-and-coming musician should do...mostly because any professional musician is POOR.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 12:03:46 am »
Well, I realize this.  I just figured that the board is as good as any place to ask them, unless e-mail would get me a quicker response.  I know that Robert frequents the board, so I also figured that this would be a decent way to ask him.

He frequents the board, just not... frequently.  :)
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 12:39:40 am »

He frequents the board, just not... frequently.  :)

Plans = Dampered!

Offline amj

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:32:00 am »
I had a question for Robert and he e-mailed back the next day. Top bloke, drop him a line.

Offline EizN

• I Like Beer... :D
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 04:00:08 pm »
sure smartest to ask band as they said above. as for me, if you buy an ESP all their modells (at least most of them) are equipped with EMG pick ups and if those are good enough for guys like metallica.. well they will not only good enough for you they gotta rock ultra hard ey?
METAL UP YOUR ASS!

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 10:13:48 am »
sure smartest to ask band as they said above. as for me, if you buy an ESP all their modells (at least most of them) are equipped with EMG pick ups and if those are good enough for guys like metallica.. well they will not only good enough for you they gotta rock ultra hard ey?

Well, Dave Mustaine and Devin Townsend use ESP guitars (and they're my fucking heroes), so if it's good enough for them, well, must be enough for me. :D

Offline greasemonkey

• I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'l crack ya teeth
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 03:43:44 pm »
lol! the ninja! I love that thing. I want one, only its way outta my price range. gotta love ninjas.

Seriously i'd get it just because its called the Ninja

Offline Tatonarf

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 08:53:45 pm »
Get the Dave Mustaine one.  He really puts effort in his signature guitars so they sound great.. Also, Megadeth rule.

Offline Elvenfox

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 10:55:13 am »
I think EMG81 were at Stratocaster from its creation, 'cuz this is custom shop guitar.
Jackson KE2 has
Bridge Pickup    Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Neck Pickup    Seymour Duncan® Jazz™ SH2N Humbucking Pickup
they're quite cool to change them i guess :)

And, Cloud, don't forget that LTD are korean-made guitars
Soundstorm's Spy

Offline potatismos

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 04:34:23 pm »
I think EMG81 were at Stratocaster from its creation, 'cuz this is custom shop guitar.

no rob inserted the emg a while ago, theres a thread bout it somewhere
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 04:40:06 am by potatismos »

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 09:48:32 am »
Jackson KE2 has
Bridge Pickup    Seymour Duncan® JBâ„¢ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Neck Pickup    Seymour Duncan® Jazzâ„¢ SH2N Humbucking Pickup
they're quite cool to change them i guess :)

And, Cloud, don't forget that LTD are korean-made guitars

Thanks. :O

Also, I never forget.

Haet LTDs.

But, the US made guitars are so expensive. D:

Offline Elvenfox

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 11:53:08 am »
They're not USA made, they're for USA market. And 'cuz of this they're more expensive than in Europe, for example. Check the prices at espguitars.co.jp.
Soundstorm's Spy