Author Topic: Newb Oblivion Questions  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
Newb Oblivion Questions
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:58:19 pm »
I'm at work so I thought I'd ask some questions about Oblivion. I purchased an Xbox 360 last night and grabbed Oblivion (rented for now, buying later once my cash recovers from the enormous blow it received from the 360 heh).

Basically... any information would be great, specifically regarding character development. I played through the prison and got out into the world for a little bit but I'm going to start over to try some new things out.

Is there a limit to the ammount of skills you can raise, or can I master everything given time? This'd be nice to know in specific because of trade skills which seem to be quite abundant. There seems to be so many bloody skills, I dont know if I should avoid some or have fun with everything regardless of my "class".

Also, what are some of the cooler aspects of the different classes? I played an Assassin (x6 attacks are kinda neat, heh). But I have a feeling that wont feel too epic when I'm in the middle of a giant war at the gates of oblivion... I got a feeling I'm going to wish I could charge into the fray and go toe to toe with some of these things. So I may or may not keep the Assassin. Undecided.

Anywho, seems like a -great- game. Lemme know if you got any newb advice or info! :)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: Newb Oblivion Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 01:47:57 am »
a) many skills are completely useless, like Security and Speechcraft.
b) all characters have their own strengths and weaknesses except Diplomats, which cannot be feasibly played due to Oblivion not being as open-ended as they like to think.
c) You can raise all the skills to I think 100, but it will require serious micromanaging of your character and make you hate the game.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:41:14 pm »
Well, all skills are good since the game supports all kinds of characters.
So what 마이클 said at point A doesnt make sense at all since security is used for lockpicking -.- and speechcraft is awesome if used correctly. B makes sense cause what can diplomats do in "hell"? :P
and C, well its hard to get all skills maxed out so dont do that :P enchant your armours and rings,amulets whatever so they increase the skills you want better (btw this is end game :P) As for character creation, create one that is fun to play! I would make a ranger type character, uses bow to inflict massive damage (owns if used with sneak) and up close you whip out your huge two handed sword!!! gets em everytime ;)
I would also take illusion magic as a minor skill, so i can be vanish and backstab! :) well thats just me ;)

So just make sure you use all your skills, otherwise its a waste...

EDIT: lol i wrote minor ^^ been playing morrowind lately ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:27:04 pm by Eldritch »

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 04:21:47 pm »
Seems like a great game. I have defenitely been playin around with different classes.

My latest venture is actually a rogue/monk type hybrid which I'm rather fond of... but I admit, I'd rather have a blade at this point I think... hehe

My final character I'm gunna go with a theif/assassin type character I think. I like the idea of seeing what all I can steal, although I've yet to delve that far into it. :\

Unfortunately my xbox is defective. Go figure. So I may have to return it and wait for the next shipment, which kills me. I just wanna play Oblivion ;\

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:27:29 am »
I wuoldn't have bought an xbox360 for oblivion, i first was going to, though..

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 02:31:25 am »
Yeah, I thought about that, too, but then I realized Oblivion was one of them games I'd enjoy to the fullest using keyboard and mouse. There's something about using a gamepad on those kind of games that leaves me with a feeling of... ickiness, somehow.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:51:12 am »
So what 마이클 said at point A doesnt make sense at all since security is used for lockpicking -.-
skeleton key
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 02:55:00 am »
There is a new patch out for anyone playing oblivion with a Z board.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 11:09:10 am »
Yeah, I thought about that, too, but then I realized Oblivion was one of them games I'd enjoy to the fullest using keyboard and mouse. There's something about using a gamepad on those kind of games that leaves me with a feeling of... ickiness, somehow.

i've always preferred keyboard and mouse to using controllers, but i bought oblivion on the 360 (cause my pc is a pile of shit) and i have to say the controls feel extremely natural, they did a damn good job.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 04:03:00 pm »
Yah. the controls feel great to me. And it wasn't really why I bought an xbox 360, I mean.. halo 3 eventually, ghost recon: advanced warfighter, huxley, and alot of other titles intrigued me too. That and my comp blows as well, for Oblivion anyway.

I made a custom assassin type character and closed the first gate of oblivion, however it was ... extremely tricky. Seems like all the creatures I faced could see right through my sneak, which was a bit dissapointing. :P

Maybe I just need some more skill/practice before I keep going along with the story thing.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 04:11:25 pm »
Yeah, I was about halfway through the "Battle for Kvatch" (or whatever it's called), when I got my ass handed to me by some friggin scamps(not stunted, regular ones). Figured I'd go level up a bit before I continued.

On a side note, one of the guards who helps you out followed me all the way to Anvil, where he was promptly attacked and killed by the gate guards. I was like "WTF just happened?" and then I thought, "Hey, free loot" and promptly sold all his equipment to the nearest blacksmith. Even weirder, his half-naked corpse still lies where I left it, even though I've long since finished the main quest...
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 04:27:36 pm »
There is a new patch out for anyone playing oblivion with a Z board.

Z-Boards suck sooo bad, so pointless and I would prefer a normal keyboard anytime.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 04:50:57 pm »
Yep, thats where I am now. Battle of Kvatch. :)

Unfortunately anyone stupid enough to follow me is already dead and the captain guy sends me forward alone. Thats where I decided to take a break.

Just can't stealth past anything to get any good sneak attacks in. :(

Speaking of which, I gotta find the dark brotherhood so I can join it :P

chompy

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 12:24:51 am »
*spoilers ahead*
One you dont find the brotherhood it finds you... go speak to locals and see what the latest rumors are. Kill people.

grrr... the Battle of Kvatch ... I never liked that quest very much. .. all the people kept on dying(sp dieing?) and then got up in a few minutes. What I ended up doing is not enabling the quest but to go into the castle and kill off a few people first. Be wary because they can end up respawning when you start the quest.

Gotta love the glass long/short sword :P

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 02:46:03 am »
I never ended battle of kvatch. The game was too choppy when the fires are going on and stuff.
I always end smashing alt f4 like a madman.