Author Topic: afghanistan and vietnam  (Read 2625 times)

Offline a sad cow

• this really grows on you
afghanistan and vietnam
« on: March 23, 2006, 04:50:36 am »
if anyone happens to know a lot about vietnam and afghanistan during the cold war, or knows books/whatever better than wikipedia, i would be greatful. i'm running into a research block where i'll find huge volumes on nothing, or really concise overviews that don't dig into what i want. damn these research projects, and my procrastination. i should've started this last week.
a sad cow = 'all singing all dancing crap of the world'

Offline a sad cow

Re: afghanistan and vietnam
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 05:45:20 am »
on a totally unrelated note, or rather quite related, has anyone ever wanted to stab themselves in the face rather than read another page of a poorly organized text? the number of pages i can accomplish before reaching this point is declining at an alarming rate....

Offline FallenTabris

• falling far beyond the point of no return
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:19:50 am »
you're probably better off looking up a large work on Russia with a small portion about their invasion of Afghanistan.. rather than a long piece about Afghanistan with a small portion about the Russian invasion.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 04:08:07 pm »
Have you seen this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0714644099/qid=1143122818/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_2_3/026-0267705-4379604

A friend of mine did a history thesis on Vietnam and used a little afghanistan reference - I asked him if he knew of any books about the connection and he linked me to the above.

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:19:33 pm »
thank you but i just got my topic denied, so i'm going in for advice to narrow it down. i'll definitely look for that book if it still applies after my meeting though.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:20:57 pm »
I know a few history buffs and my dad used to be a history teacher so I'm happy to help :)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 03:05:01 am »
what is this thread about ?

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 04:03:12 am »
what is this thread about ?

This thread is about a sad cow wanting information to help him get his work done.

If I knew anything about the history of said places I'd help...
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.
I'll sacrifice what I believe.
My little girlscout, your mouth is getting sore.
Will you love me any less, if I hurt you any more?

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 02:34:12 pm »
i finally got my topic narrowed down: what are the primary motivating factors of Afghan insurgents? i'm mainly doing this on the Afghan-Soviet war in the hopes of relating to today. however, anything after the fall of the soviet union in 1991 though won't count. I'm trying to word my thesis to the effect of "religious freedom is the most important thing to these insurgents" and i also want to say something about how proper implementation of Islam is incongruous with any other forms of government we are familiar with.

i also have to reject possibilities and i'm somewhat up in the air on this too. i found a passage which shows they care about foreign support, but i believe that only goes so far as it will achieve their ultimate objectives - in other words it's not primarily motivating. i'm also rejecting anarchy because the insurgency as a whole targets more than just government related stuff.

i'd like to think i absorb the full depth of what i do read, but looking at this stack of books i know i won't absorb the breadth of even what i have in front of me, let alone the whole topic.