Author Topic: V for Vendetta  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
Re: V for Vendetta
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2006, 01:42:13 am »
well he is wearing body armour of some kind and he does die, so he's not exactly superman.

Lexx

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 02:05:17 am »
He does? *Thanks*.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006, 02:21:07 am »
Yes, I know. But it's still a rather long stretch, I feel.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2006, 02:32:41 am »
god damnit all this talking about V has made me want to go see it again, maybe i'll be sober this time!

In the mean time, I guess I'll just read the comic when i go to bed.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2006, 04:25:18 am »
I have not and do not intend to read the original. But as a movie, one thing i can say is that it would have been a lot better if it weren't an American-made movie. Cool stuff, to be sure, but less cool when it's shoved into your face multiple times.

SPOILERS

HEY LOOK THE GIRL IN THE RAIN IS KINDA LIKE THE GUY IN THE FIRE BACK AND FORTH AND BACK AND FORTH

HEY THE BIG BAD GUY IS YELLING PROPAGANDA IN FRONT OF SOLDIERS WITH RED, BLACK, AND WHITE IMAGEREY BEHIND HIM KINDA LIKE THAT ONE GUY HITLER REMEMBER REMEMBER?

and the knife fight near the end felt like an afterthought, where the director was like "aw crap, the wachowski brothers have their name attached to this and so i'd better put in some sort of 'original' cinematography. I guess the knives could leave trails in the air."

all in all, of course it was worth seeing, but only for lots of isolated incidents of interest, not the movie as a whole.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Trias

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2006, 11:03:28 am »
ah finally someone with a (more) similiar opinion like mine. I for my part didn't like the movie for the same reason, among others. Everything straight into your face, no great effects, no great music,etc.

MAJOR SPOILER

I had one fun moment though. When V was dying, I was saying loudly something along the lines of "Luke... help me take this mask off. " etc.  haha  :P

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2006, 01:32:16 pm »

HEY LOOK THE GIRL IN THE RAIN IS KINDA LIKE THE GUY IN THE FIRE BACK AND FORTH AND BACK AND FORTH

Yeah, that was really stupid. I saw the parallels before they switched over to guy in fire, and that just felt stupid. Or, rather, it felt like it was made so that stupid people could understand it. But then again, sometimes one must be nice to the stupid people.

HEY THE BIG BAD GUY IS YELLING PROPAGANDA IN FRONT OF SOLDIERS WITH RED, BLACK, AND WHITE IMAGEREY BEHIND HIM KINDA LIKE THAT ONE GUY HITLER REMEMBER REMEMBER?

No, I don't remember this Hitler person you're talking about. I have to agree, the choice of colours reminded of the nazis, but this happens in a future Britain, where Hitler has existed, and I'm quite sure Sutler was inspired by him (that is, if that had been the real world, Sutler would have read Mein Kampf and looked up to Hitler), so him choosing a red-and-black imagery (with a styled cross, btw, just like the nazi flag) is far from unbeliavable.

and the knife fight near the end felt like an afterthought, where the director was like "aw crap, the wachowski brothers have their name attached to this and so i'd better put in some sort of 'original' cinematography. I guess the knives could leave trails in the air."

all in all, of course it was worth seeing, but only for lots of isolated incidents of interest, not the movie as a whole.

Yeah, the knives-leave-trail-in-the-air thing (also supposedly known as Knife Time) was rather irritating. I would have much prefered that scene in a speeded up style. That is, without any slow motion stuff. Just slash, slash, throw, throw, dead guards, choke Creedy.

So, conclusion: The director should have remembered that it wasn't an action movie, so action movie tricks should be left out. Also, he should have had more faith in the intellect of his audience.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

chompy

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2006, 05:38:46 pm »
I went and watched this movie the other day, not knowing what it was all about nor having read this thread. It was a very well made movie although as I had been a bit sleepy when I saw it I really need to watch it again to pass judgment.

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2006, 06:21:06 pm »
its a great movie, and its shows a possible future too

time to wake up? ;)

Offline Viktor

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2006, 09:48:53 pm »
I think I need a second viewing of the movie, and a re-reading of the book as well :)

Of course, there are plenty of other more and less important details that were left out from the movie, but that's understandable - and, indeed, unavoidable. However, I can't help but wonder if the movie is enough to convey the message that the original so brilliantly did? As I'd read the book before seeing the movie, I really can't say, but somehow, I doubt it. When I try to think of the movie separately from the comic, it seems almost without a point, and certainly without adequate reasoning to back that point. As a screaming example, take the ending (spoilers to follow).

Ok, V is a destroyer, we can all see that. He even says so himself in the original. But Evey's role as V's successor was barely touched on in the movie, while it was one of the most important things in the book. I felt like the movie ended with Britain plunged into desperate chaos, whereas the book left Britain in a hopeful chaos. The difference between the two is that the first is merely chaos, but the second is the cleansing fire on the road to true freedom and equality. I like to think that the murder and mayhem following the destruction of the Body in the original was to the nation as a whole an experience not unlike V's time at Larkhill, or Evey's incarceration. I don't know if the people behind the movie expect us to believe that once the Leader is dead, people would just spontaneously see the inherent evil in a hierarchial power structure, and form a better society all on their own, but frankly, I think that's quite inconceivable. After all, that hasn't happened in previous revolutions. The movie ends with the people overthrowing the government, yes, but that's not half the story. V's goal was an ideal society, and getting rid of the current regime is only the first step of the way. The movie has a sense of closure - one almost expects "The End" to be displayed before the credits. The book feels more like the prelude it is - V was only laying the foundation for the work ahead, and this point seems to be missing from the movie.

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2006, 03:10:31 pm »
+++PROBABLY SOME MORE FUCKING SPOILERS (WHY ARE YOU READING THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT ANYWAY)+++

Okay. I know I quite liked the V movie, but I do agree that it was not particularily well directed, and the sequences already highlighted in this thread are the worst offences in the film - that I recall.

In McTiegue's (sp?) defence, I thought the Valerie sequence was actually directed with a slight bit of skill and subtlety.If he had of fucked that bit up I would have had to cut off his toes. Of course it helps that Moore wrote it as such a beautiful set piece, and the Wachowski brothers practically left it alone in their adaptation.

As for the ending, well yes - I thought it was dubious. It changed the final message of the book to a much more hollywood friendly message.

Book:Sutler is dead, the party is fucked and it's going to be a long hard road to justice and equality, but eVey will be there to try and help the people find their way.

Movie: V isn't dead!! He lives on in the hearts and minds of everyone!! (ker-cheeeese)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2006, 05:18:32 pm »
Just like to point out, it's Susan, not Sutler. In the book, that is.

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2006, 06:22:06 pm »
my bad  :-[

I also missed the subplot of him being in love with Fate... though John Hurt is way too much of a bad ass to be in love with a silly machine.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 06:38:22 pm »
Actually, they didn't have Fate at all. In the book, Prothero is "the Voice of Fate", and therefore very important to the power structure.

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2006, 06:50:58 pm »
I don't think the concept of 'Fate' would have worked too well in the film, though.